Alan needing assistance

D

Deleted member 4366

Strange. The sensor normally goes on the chainwheel side. The bottom bracket has a flange on that side to hold the sensor in position. You have to remove the whole BB,

You can fit it on the left side, but you have to flip the magnet disc so that it rotates in the wrong direction to the arrows. You unwind the BB a bit, and hold the sensor on with a locking ring that most bike shops should have, or you can get them from Ebay for 99p. If you get side to side free-play on your BB, you have to fit a spacer/washer inside the retainer.
Replacement Bike Bottom Bracket Crank Cup Lock Ring | eBay

I'd take your bike somewhere else or fit the kit yourself. That shop doesn't seem very competent.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hi agaain.Have been in France for a few weeks.Took my byke to a cyclotricity dealer today.Was going to order a kit but dealer wasn't sure if pedelec sensor would fit.seemed like he hadn't fitted one before.The bottom bracket shaft is square,he used apuller to get it off.he said there is no locking ring to hold the sensor in place.I showed it to my local byke dealer here in Burnley.He said it is a cartridge type and semi-sealed.It has a seal at both ends.not much of a gap I noticed from the pedal to the seal.I thought my bottom bracket was the right one.Do all these sensors need this locking ring?Don't know what to do now.Any advise please.
Hi Alan,
The cyclotricity kit's pedelec sensor looks like this:

The black disc with magnets in fits onto the crankshaft, whilst the sensor on the metal disc is usually held in place by the locking ring common on older type BBs.
If your bike doesn't have that type of BB, it is possible to mount the sensor onto the frame by the BB, by some judicious reshaping/trimming of that metal holding plate. In fact, I'm sure that someone has mentioned doing this somewhere on the forum. As D8veh said in an earlier post, it's possible to fit the sensor to either side of the crank - cyclotricity recommend fitting it to the left crank. I thought this might be a bit exposed, but so far it has worked well, and hasn't caused a problem on my bike.
If there doesn't appear to be enough room on the crankshaft to mount the black plastic disc, you should be able to buy a longer BB.
Hope this helps.

alan spencer

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2012
burnley lancashire
Hi there,Having talked to boss at cyclotricity there should not be a problem fitting sensor to chainwheel side.If I do this myself I would need to get a puller.Thought I might use my local cycle shop to fit it.Might get them interested in e- bykes which would be a good thing.After all they are entirely dealing in Raleigh and they of coursr are doing e bykes.Thans for your help.The dealer I saw is a nice guy he just hasn't fitted a sensor bfore to a bb like mine.

Anthony Wilkinson

Just Joined
Oct 7, 2013
e-bike selection

Hello,I am a new member.This is my first posting.Trying to start cycing againat the age of 79.I am pretty fit for my age But feel I need electric assist on my byke so I don't have to push it up hills.I have a Giant mountain byke which I have had for about 15 years.It is light and well maintained.I would really like to keep this byke but need some guidance on what conversion kit would be best for me and where to have it fitted or do the job myself.Was at one time a fitter in the aircraft industry so am pretty handy.I will be camping in France in August on a site visited last year.There are e-bikes for hire so will try one out to see how I like it.Help in deciding what to go for would be much appreciated.
Like you I am ex aircraft industry and approaching 80. I converted a good touring bike by adding a 1000w hub motor to the front. After burning out my 1st motor I bought a later model and destroyed that riding Welsh mountains in Welsh rain. I concluded that the conversion was not up to my cycling habits. Besides the bike was festooned with wires and my pannier rack was overloaded with a large battery. The bike became pretty unstable.

I then bought a last year model Kalkhoff at sale price. German engineering shines through the whole concept. The wiring is buried and the lights are adequate. I have no trouble with 1 in 5 hills unless the track becomes too broken or wet and the wheel slips. As you will guess, I only potter about and so in mountains I have a range in excess of 40 miles and on flatter country I plan on 60.

The only disadvantage of a Kalkhoff is the height of the bottom bracket above the ground. For this reason I recommend a step through frame as opposed to diamond frame. These machines cost much more but they are robust and reliable.

alan spencer

May 16, 2012
burnley lancashire
Thanks for that Anthony.I will be making a decision later next week.Such a variation in price for the same spec.Oxygen kit is 300 more than cyclotricity and same spec apart from special cable holders on Oxygen.Just checking spec and price of a few more.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for that Anthony.I will be making a decision later next week.Such a variation in price for the same spec.Oxygen kit is 300 more than cyclotricity and same spec apart from special cable holders on Oxygen.Just checking spec and price of a few more.
Oxygen spec isn't the same: You get a Dapu motor rather than a MXUS; The battery has Samsung 22P cells; the LCD is included, while as the Cyclotricity one is £100 extra. All the UK kits work and have approximately the same power except the Ezee and Xipi kits have more.

BrianC

Sep 8, 2013
I don't think independent throttles are legal in France or the rest of Europe.

BrianC

Sep 8, 2013
That's about the easiest bike you can get to convert and you don't have any special requirements, so any kit would be suitable. You only have to decide how much you want to pay. There's UK suppliers of Chinese kits. They give after-sales support:
Electric Bike Kit - from £399 with brushless 250W motor. Buy online at Cyclotricity
8Fun Ltd
Juicy Bike Accessories: stylish electric bikes and scooters
Electric Bicycles - 36v Road Legal Kits £599

Then, if you want more torque for hill-climbing, there's the Ezee kit
eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits

If you want more power, and are not bothered about legality, there's the 350w Alien kit and Frank's Xipi kits
Kits

You can buy most of this stuff direct from China. It doesn't work out much cheaper, but you can have a better choice of motors, controllers and batteries. you can get more speed and/or power, but no warranty.
LiFePO4, EV Charger, EBike Battery, Bike Conversion Kit, Motor, Controller - BMSBATTERY
Electric bike kit, lithium battery, lifepo4, hub motor, controller, bike parts-GreenBikeKit online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com
Home-Elifebike Online Store --- Electric Bicycle Parts
BTN HOLDING GROUP CO.,LTD - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling electric bicycle middle drive motor kit,electric bike mid-drive motor kit,cheap hub motor kit and more on Aliexpress.com

Finally, there's the new Bafang BBS01 crank-drive kit that you an get from Woosh or the link immediately above. They're easier to fit than a hub-motor.
8-Fun BBS01 CD kit | Chain Drive Electric Bike Kits from Woosh

Whatever one you get, I'd advise you to get one that has a control panel with at least three levels of power assist as well as an independent throttle.
I don't think independent throttles are legal in France or elsewhere in Europe.