Aldi Bike Stand

Hobbehod

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2015
Just bought a bike stand being sold at Aldi from today at £25. The box says suitable for bikes up to 30kg so should suit ebikes but I've not opened the box yet.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just a reminder that they're not suitable for some electric bikes because the clamp can only hold them if the bike is balanced. They're no good if you have a rear motor and a rear battery or a big rear motor.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You can turn the clamp vertically and grip the seat post to help with balance on a rear heavy bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can turn the clamp vertically and grip the seat post to help with balance on a rear heavy bike.
Only if that's the balance point, which it normally isn't.

C

Cyclezee

As others have said previously it can be tricky to secure a heavy bike or if the weight is not equally distributed front to rear.
I have two of this type which overcomes this problem by separately clamping two parts of the frame to secure the bike.
Tandems in particular can be tricky to work on without a decent workstand stand.
Although they came from Lidl they are basically the same as those sold by Aldi and still very cheap.
Tandems in particular can be tricky to work on without a decent workstand stand.

C

Cyclezee

In my local Aldi this evening they had two pallet loads of workstands, I was quite surprised they had so many left.

20150415_195840.jpg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just a reminder that they're not suitable for some electric bikes because the clamp can only hold them if the bike is balanced. They're no good if you have a rear motor and a rear battery or a big rear motor.
And a Parktools stand at +100€ does that? Sorry, not meaning to be disrespectful but pricing on "professional" workshop bikestands is such a load of (English expression on the tip of my tongue goes here).

£25 is still too expensive for what it is but I say buy two, one for the front and one for the back and save money.

C

Cyclezee

And a Parktools stand at +100€ does that? Sorry, not meaning to be disrespectful but pricing on "professional" workshop bikestands is such a load of (English expression on the tip of my tongue goes here).

£25 is still too expensive for what it is but I say buy two, one for the front and one for the back and save money.
Also not meaning to be disrespectful, but where can you get a workstand for for less than 25 quid:confused:
BTW, 2 of this type is what I already have;)

Hobbehod

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2015
I can tell you where to find a cheaper bike stand for less than £25. If your Aldi has that many they will have to cut the price to shift them. They take up a lot of floor space so you may not have to wait that long. Incidentally, I saw a similar stand in Halfords yesterday but that was advertised at £50.

I used mine for the first time yesterday and I have to say that balance didn't seem to be a huge problem. I used the clamp on the crossbar and moved a few inches along and it seemed secure at both points. I had the stand on grass which was neither level nor a firm service but the legs are widely splayed which must help.

The biggest problem was lifting the bike up to the clamp which was anything but easy going. If you are not physically strong you will have a problem lifting a heavy bike on your own to a height where you can stand up to work on it. I then found it easier to lift the front wheel off (hub motor on the front) with the bike upside down so I took the bike off the stand altogether for the rest of the inner tube changing procedure. This means I can't be certain whether the bike would still have been stable on the stand without the front wheel on.

When I bought it the bike was supposed to have Kevlar tyres but I can't imagine a small thorn would have got through had this really been the case!

C

Cyclezee

I can tell you where to find a cheaper bike stand for less than £25. If your Aldi has that many they will have to cut the price to shift them. They take up a lot of floor space so you may not have to wait that long.
It looked me like they had just arrived in the store as they were still stacked on 2 pallets in the middle of the floor, it will be interesting to see how many are left this time next week.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i use my bike storage rack, just as good and only cost £15

C

Cyclezee

Whilst I was in Aldi this morning to stock up on Herring with mango and peppercorn, I noticed they still had over 20 workstands left.