Aldi cycling day

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just a reminder it's aldi cycling gear day !

Just picked up waterproof lobster winter gloves for 7.99, backup light set for 6.99 and some tag on led reflector lights (for backpack and such) for 1.99

Clothing, bike stands, tools - it's all there on the cheap :)

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Just a reminder it's aldi cycling gear day !

Just picked up waterproof lobster winter gloves for 7.99, backup light set for 6.99 and some tag on led reflector lights (for backpack and such) for 1.99

Clothing, bike stands, tools - it's all there on the cheap :)
I went in to get a winter kneck warmer and the lights....

Came out with my arms full LOL, including a diamond file set for 1.99 and a staple gun for 2.99 How do they do it?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Hope there is a water(I mean brandy really) bottle and holder left for tomorrow.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I went in to get a winter kneck warmer and the lights....

Came out with my arms full LOL, including a diamond file set for 1.99 and a staple gun for 2.99 How do they do it?
They are able to do it because they buy in from China. Thank heavens for slave labour working in appalling conditions with no industrial rights. Just think how much we would be paying if all this stuff was made in a British factory with minimum wages, safe working conditions, holiday pay, sick pay and a 40 hour working week. If only Aldi could source goods made by children, (you can get away with paying them virtually nothing) we could enjoy even greater savings. This would leave us all with more money in our pockets to blow on budget airline flights to foreign holiday destinations. We might even have a bit left over to donate to an overseas children's charity which actively fights against child exploitation.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
They are able to do it because they buy in from China. Thank heavens for slave labour working in appalling conditions with no industrial rights. Just think how much we would be paying if all this stuff was made in a British factory with minimum wages, safe working conditions, holiday pay, sick pay and a 40 hour working week. If only Aldi could source goods made by children, (you can get away with paying them virtually nothing) we could enjoy even greater savings. This would leave us all with more money in our pockets to blow on budget airline flights to foreign holiday destinations. We might even have a bit left over to donate to an overseas children's charity which actively fights against child exploitation.
I'm no lily-livered liberal, quite the reverse.

But the points made by tillson have been preying on my mind a little.

No easy answer for the concerned consumer.

The same 'cheap' Chinese goods are often sold at wildly varying prices, so paying more is no guarantee of getting something that has been ethically produced.

Back on topic, I bought three cans of GT85 at £2 each.

No doubt the chemical company that makes it recently blew up an entire town in Asia, killed thousands, and poisoned the water course for ever.

But hey, the stuff smells nice.

Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'm no lily-livered liberal, quite the reverse.

But the points made by tillson have been preying on my mind a little.

No easy answer for the concerned consumer.

The same 'cheap' Chinese goods are often sold at wildly varying prices, so paying more is no guarantee of getting something that has been ethically produced.

Back on topic, I bought three cans of GT85 at £2 each.

No doubt the chemical company that makes it recently blew up an entire town in Asia, killed thousands, and poisoned the water course for ever.

But hey, the stuff smells nice.
It's a difficult one because it is very time consuming to research where goods originate from. I'm sorry to say that my home and wardrobe must contain a high percentage of Chinese produce, some of which is Aldi cycling gear. I'm not entirely comfortable with this.

Some of the stuff is sourced in China in order to give the customer a good deal (Aldi and the likes), other companies produce there because of a greedy desire for obscene profits (Dyson etc). I don't know which motive is the more ethical.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can think back to 1971, when I worked in a factory in appalling conditions with no rights. I was pleased to have the job, and in my ignorance. I sort of enjoyed it.

When I looked round factories in China, it was like going back in time to those factory jobs that I used to do. The workers seemed pretty happy in their ignorance too.

Another interesting point. In some of the factories, all the employees live together in accommodation provided by the factory. I think just about everything is provided. The MXUS factory that makes motors (Cyclotricity ones) is like that.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another interesting point. In some of the factories, all the employees live together in accommodation provided by the factory. I think just about everything is provided. The MXUS factory that makes motors (Cyclotricity ones) is like that.
Reminiscent of the pit villages in County Durham where the pit owner owned the houses the miners lived in.

No doubt lots of miners were content with the arrangement.

There will be Chinese factory workers who are not and don't regard themselves as downtrodden.

It is hard to make a case for child labour, whatever your cultural understanding.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I am aware of the problems with Chinese goods. One way of looking at it, is that a lousy job is better than no job at all. As Aldi only sell cycling gear on occasions, I think it may be what is known as a loss leader. They sell the gear ata tiny profit, or even at a slight loss, just to get people into the store.

Talking of bad working conditions, Lincolnshire farm labourers had it at least as bad as the miners, probably on a lot less money. They had to provide their own protective clothing, if they could afford it. They lived in tiny, damp remote cottages, often miles from a village or even a road. The cottages were farm property. Labourers were hired on a yearly contract, often at hiring fairs, where they stood in rows like cattle. The terms of the contract usually stipulated that the labourer`s sons and daughters would work on the farm, often for a pittance.

My mother was the daughter of a farm foreman, and had to walk three miles to school, half of it "off road" The rule of children forced to work for the farmer persisted as late as the 1960s and early 1970s. With increasing mechanisation, there are fewer farm labourers and conditions have improved. Seasonal work is now often done by immigrants, some of whom live in run down caravans on farms. No doubt modern slavery and forced labour still exist in the UK.

Reactions: Cyclezee

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Seasonal work is now often done by immigrants, some of whom live in run down caravans on farms. No doubt modern slavery and forced labour still exist in the UK.
And it's still far better than what they can get at home.
That's why the French want Britain to toughen up our far too generous immigration conditions.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Expensive doesnt automatically mean ethical but I get your points

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
No doubt modern slavery and forced labour still exist in the UK.
Well, quite. I think a lot of people would be shocked at the scale of slave labour going in the Europe these days. I read recently that there are estimated to be more slaves working in the UK right now than there were at the height of the slave trade 200 years ago, most of them employed in food production and domestic service. We never actually abolished slavery, we just outsourced it.

Reactions: neptune

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
Going back to the original post, I had a laugh when I arrived at my local Aldi yesterday and discovered six other bikes chained outside. I got myself some of their shoes, winter gloves and lights. A great offer!

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
we are all slaves to the companies we work for, its just that some slaves are paid more than other slaves.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Just been back to Aldi.About 50% of stock has gone since yesterday. Bought myself a spare Hi Ziz cycling jacket, at £20. Couldn`t resist a pair of waterproof winter gloves at £5. These are the finger ones, which I prefer to the lobster claw type.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
we are all slaves to the companies we work for, its just that some slaves are paid more than other slaves.
A slave cannot walk away. An employee can.

I'm a student with a small self employed sideline - who am I a slave to?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had a look at a £20 shower proof jacket.

A couple left in my size, and it looked OK.

But then I thought: would I use it?

I don't go out in the rain, or if it is likely to rain.

I take shelter or just suffer if it starts raining on the way round.

Seems to me that type of jacket is more for a commuter who has to cycle and work afterwards.

Reactions: Gringo

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I was tempted by some of there stuff because of the price but then like RobF, I thought, will I actually use it.
Ive got a cupboard full of "bargains" I don't use :(