Alfine 11 and Bafang BBS01B 36v 250W

nobby531

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2018
Western West Mids
I have two of the BBS01B Bafang each powering through a Shimano Alfine 8 IGH with gears 28 to 86 gear inches.
The one is on my 406 wheeled Moulton TSRA8 and the other on an On One Inbred with 650B wheels. I do not large mileage in any given years and I am happy with them both but I have just acquired a Moulton APB and I will be taking the motor from the On One (and retiring that bike).
The Moulton APB will be used mainly for canal towpaths and bridleways with an occasional very light load of bivi kit for an overnight. A total load, including me, of up to 95kg.
The Alfine 8 in the On One is a 32 hole shell and all my 406 rims are 36 hole but I do have an Alfine 11 in a 406 wheel.
I have it in my head that the Alfine 11 may be a weaker unit compared to the Alfine 8 when used with a mid drive motor. I have no idea where I have got that idea from but is there any truth in it, or am I worrying about nothing?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Kalkhoff Integrale had an Alfine 11 speed, and that motor was quite torquey, so it should be OK. You're right about problems with Alfine IGHs and crank motors, but it's the 5 and 7 speed ones that can give problems.

Generally 8 speed is recommended over the 11 speed because with the power of the motor, you don't need so many gears, and with a crank motor, you have to be in the right gear all the time, so loads of shifting with an 11 speed, and even worse with a 14 speed Rohloff.