Alfine hub gear, eccentric BB and hydraulic discs - pedelec options please!

Sham68

Just Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Hi, I have a Meria Espresso (rigid bike 700cc wheels) with simano Alfine 8 speed hub, eccentric BB and hydraulic brakes. Thinking of upgrading to a pedelec but realise that a rear hub or crank drive is out so will have to be a front hub motor I guess. Advice and options online seem mixed and confusing. I'm a newbie at this so what is my best option with my existing bike for road legal commuting, (have rear rack, and bottle mountings). Or do I sell up and buy a better suited bike / pedelec bike?

Many thanks

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

Sham68

Just Joined
Aug 15, 2019
That's interesting about the BB converter but not sure it is the same thing as on the Merida. In my frame it's just an oversized split frame cylinder which takes the eccentric BB housing which the standard BB slides in and is tightened up.

I am going to look at front drive hun with disc brakes and a switch for the hydraulic brake

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I didn't think mid / crank drive motors were compatible with an eccentric bottom bracket due to the torque and rotational movement possibility?
The Gospade has an ingenious way of locking the motor to the INSIDE of the bottom bracket!

Watch the video:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it looks possible.
Can you remove the inside bottom bracket and check its dimensions and thread?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have a Gospade motor.
You can set the position of the motor at any angle, it will lock into place without torque arm. If you come to Southend, you can have a look.
The cylindrical electric motor part itself is a bit smaller than on the TSDZ2 and the gap between the motor and the bottom bracket is also much wider.
I think it's possible to accommodate the two underside bolts.

Pedro Marques

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2019
I have a Gospade motor.
You can set the position of the motor at any angle, it will lock into place without torque arm. If you come to Southend, you can have a look.
The cylindrical electric motor part itself is a bit smaller than on the TSDZ2 and the gap between the motor and the bottom bracket is also much wider.
I think it's possible to accommodate the two underside bolts.

Hello,
Do you have any feedback on this mid-drive? I am tempted to buy one but I find very little information about it.

Does it look weel built? Works well? How noisy is it? Is powerfull? Did you have any problems with it?

Thank you,
Regards.

Pedro Marques

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2019
I am on this train too, can´t find much information/reviews. Now I am not having any feedback from sellers.

Thank you,
Regards.