Ali Express, thoughts.

Wafty Cranker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2021
Been on Ali Express and compared like for like on what’s for sale here, on EBay and Uk suppliers. Since leaving the EU do we now have the additional cost of VAT and Import duty ? I have never purchased anything from them before and would welcome some feedback from those in the know, thanks Wafty.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, import duty now carries a hefty anti dumping tax thanks to the EU major producers who are anti competition. The likes of Bosch wants every one to buy there 2 year warranty bikes with no redress after the warranty expires, being a closed system and anticompetitive there is little chance of the bike being repaired electrically. Mechanically their is hope via a niche UK company called Performance line bearings for all mid motor bikes.

Reactions: Wafty Cranker

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Yes, import duty now carries a hefty anti dumping tax thanks to the EU major producers who are anti competition. The likes of Bosch wants every one to buy there 2 year warranty bikes with no redress after the warranty expires, being a closed system and anticompetitive there is little chance of the bike being repaired electrically. Mechanically their is hope via a niche UK company called Performance line bearings for all mid motor bikes.
The anti-dumping levy is just for complete bikes, not parts - kits / wheels / batteries / motors though. I'm guessing from the OP's 'like for like' that's what they mean, but...?

RonnieX

Jul 9, 2020
In essence AliExpress was generally cheaper than eBay but goods took longer to arrive. Now the prices are loaded with VAT and/or Customs Duty its no longer a cheaper alternative.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think the anti-dumping levy applied mainly to complete bikes, not so much components.

Before shipments from China often avoided VAT and import taxes because they were too complicated to collect. That effectively meant there was a non-import 20% tax. With leaving the EU they tightened that loophole, leaving a much fairer system (though inconvenient).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've never had to pay anything on Aliexpress items. I've bought a couple of bottle batteries, several controllers and loads of other stuff, though mainly small items. It's the same with Banggood and Wish. I've only had to pay with a few big items from BMSbattery and other kit suppliers like that- mainly when a battery is included or the box is massive. I think during covid, the Post Office have stopped collecting because one time I got a notice of something to pay, but nobody ever followed up.

Wafty Cranker

Mar 4, 2021
The anti-dumping levy is just for complete bikes, not parts - kits / wheels / batteries / motors though. I'm guessing from the OP's 'like for like' that's what they mean, but...?
Yes mate, looking to buy complete kit. Motor, controller etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If only parts then you won't get caught for much, you will be unlucky to pay more then £30 extra if picked on.

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
I’ve used Aliexpress a lot and never had to pay any duties or additional fees ..currently deliveries are slow due to covid / Brexit but stuff arrives .. I’ve just received my 13.5ah bottle battery that ordered on 8/1 so if you are in a hurry it’s not the place to buy ..

Wafty Cranker

Mar 4, 2021
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom, doesn’t seem quite as attractive as first though, however will continue to look and learn ! Wafty.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve used Ali quite a few times in the past when we had ”low value = no import duty”
on average I’d pay about 40% less than UK price, I didn’t mind waiting for delivery which could be as little as 10 days, occasionally my goods didn’t turn up and it then took months to get my money back. Now all things are taxed, the last time I looked on Ali the prices were too close to eBay to risk a long delivery.

Wafty Cranker

Mar 4, 2021
I’ve used Ali quite a few times in the past when we had ”low value = no import duty”
on average I’d pay about 40% less than UK price, I didn’t mind waiting for delivery which could be as little as 10 days, occasionally my goods didn’t turn up and it then took months to get my money back. Now all things are taxed, the last time I looked on Ali the prices were too close to eBay to risk a long delivery.
Thanks Gringo, l have come to the same conclusion myself .

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Also the customer protection on AliExpress is very Byzantine whereas with eBay, the customer is always right and is quickly recompensed in the event of problem.

Homer Jay

Oct 21, 2020
Buying from Ali is like buying mail order from Del boy. You may get what you ordered, you may not. If it breaks, you’re on your own - he’s got you money and you have his problem. I’ve bought many things over the years from AliExpress / Baba and only once did I not regret it. Not going there anymore.