Alien Aurora - I'm starting an Alien family!

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
It sounds to me like the roller clutch is slipping. the rollers ride up a ramp until they're wedged when the motor starts to rotate. For whatever reason, at low torque, there isn't enough oomph to wedge them. Possible reasons: 1. Water has got in through the cable entry point - normally because the cable doesn't go down from the exit before going up to the controller - and so the clutch has gone rusty. Yours goes down so maybe OK. That would also account for other general noise. 2. lack of grease causing general dryness and unsmooth operation especially if it hadn't been used for a while before you got it. 3. Other contamination like a bit of dirt in the clutch.

If it's reason no 2, it might go away as soon as you start using it. If it's 1, then the motor has to be opened up which isn't too difficult on these. I haven't needed to do one yet, but I believe that you just remove the screws around the periphery of the side plate and tap it apart after removing nuts etc from the shaft. Whatever the reason, It would be a good idea to open it up and re-grease everything and then it'll be as smooth as silk and all the worrying will be over.

I can't see a hall sensor connection, so it's probably a sensorless controller, which accounts for the ticking and juddering at the start, Nothing to worry about there.

Regarding the battery,, which is made of 10 groups of 3.7v cylindrical cells, 9 per group from what I can see in the photo (edit: or are they 3 per group prismatic cells?) I think you need to charge it up and check that all the cells reach the same voltage of about 4.2v. They should all be equal within 0.05v if the BMS does its job properly. Then run it down about halfway and check the cell voltages again. The cells are in groups, so any one in a group could be faulty so that one group will go down quicker than the others. So.if it goes way out of balance as the pack voltage falls, you can identify the group and then check all the connections within the group.That means at each end of each cell plus the BMS wire. If all connections are OK, then it's faulty cells.

Ah, thanks for the detailed reply! Now I have my weekends work lined up for me :D
Are there any special tools I should have ready for the work on the motor?
And also is there a specific grease I should use, like Mintex Ceratek?

Hooked up a speedometer to the bike today, managed 20-21mph on the flats, and 16-17mph on the uphill that my alien pulsar only managed 8mph - awesome!

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
I have the bpm hub motor, unfortunatly the centre spindle snapped on mine after 425 miles (no rough riding, just cycle tracks) but i do still have it in the shed in case u need any spares? ive now gone over to a mac 500 & absolutly love it!

jason

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Wow sorry to hear that jason. Didn't even get it loosened up before it destroyed itself.
Must have been a quality issue as it should not have done that at all.

How does the the bpm compare to a mac?!? I can old presume due to the addrionalmcost the quality is better.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
I have the bpm hub motor, unfortunatly the centre spindle snapped on mine after 425 miles (no rough riding, just cycle tracks) but i do still have it in the shed in case u need any spares? ive now gone over to a mac 500 & absolutly love it!

jason
Thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to contact you if there is anything I need to replace :)
Hoping the job is quick enough to do this weekend!

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
All the best hope you solve the problem. Post some photos if you do could be lots of help for others. John

Last edited:

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
scottyf

hi Scott i wouldnt change back! it really is that good! i got both the BPM & Mac kits from Cell Man. i have to date done 1300 miles on the mac, i'm running it at 48v goes like a dream (34mph). the build quality does seem alot better although it doesn't look as nice.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ekk 34mph! Speed demon. My disc gets hot enough as it is doing a max of 24mph.
Glad to see the Mac Shanghi hub is working at intended!

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
So this is where I am now...
What am I looking for?
What should I grease?
Anything else I should do while I have it open?

D

Deleted member 4366

Good to see that there's no rust. The clutch is on the other side.