Alien GS II problem - strange clicking noise

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Evening all,

over the past few days I have noticed a really strange, quite loud, clicking noise which sounds as if it is coming from the front wheel of the bike. It only happens when weight is applied on the handlebars (i.e normal riding position), if I lift the handlebar / front wheel up & apply the throttle so that the front wheel rotates there is no clicking sound. I really cannot detect any obvious physical cause of this, at first I thought it might be the speedometer sensor hitting the magnet on the front spoke, but having removed this the noise still persists. I'm pretty sure the noise is not my knees, so I'm at a bit of a loss to resolve this.

Am I missing anything obvious , or anything else I should be checking? Your suggestions as ever would be welcome. :)

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Have you checked your spokes? Mine started making a small clicking sound a week after I laced a motor and it was a spoke that had come very lose.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly no obvious loose spoke,is there any value in opening up the motor & seeing if there is anything amiss in there?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Maybe a different problem but mine clicks as well...the click is coming from the bottom bracket. It's only noticable when I press hard on the pedals...been meaning to take it apart for weeks....

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hi yes i to have the same clicking sound mine seems to be eminating from the bottom bracket also..... i am at a loss as to what it actually is ?:confused: any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Onei

Just Joined
Jun 29, 2010
It sounds like something is clicking as it is being put under strain. I would suggest it is something in or around the motor seeing as this is where most of the weight will end up from pushing down on the handlebars. Is the bike still under warranty?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Might be the front wheel bearings or BB bearings at fault, very unlikely to be the internally geared motor. Also very unlikely, but the wrong chain width, i.e 3/32" derailleur chain on a 1/8" chainwheel can result in creaking from the chain that sounds like clicks.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
When I lift the back wheel & turn the pedals the clicking sound does not occur. When I lift the front wheel & twist the throttle again no clicking. It only seems to make this noise when I am sitting on the bike and am either pedalling, using the throttle, or when the bike is freewheeling downhill with no pedalling / throttle applied the sound still persists. It really is a loud clicking sound, people turn in the sdtreet to see what is making the noise!

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hi yes i to have the same clicking sound mine seems to be eminating from the bottom bracket also..... i am at a loss as to what it actually is ?:confused: any suggestions would be appreciated.
After looking again it is defo. the crank area i think i would plum for the B.B it lseems the most suspect but my click is not as loud as your's Rustic :( P.S mine only occurs on peddle pressure .One other thought come's to mind Alien i think the derailleur set up is not the most expensive on the market .! but saying that i still think the bike's are good value for money .

Last edited:

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Thanks for the advice, I can't seem to get to the bottom of this, it doesn't appear related to the pedal unit as this can be stationary and the noise persists, it seems related to the rotation of the front wheel when I am sitting on the bike / applying pressure on the handlebars.

I have emailed Jim at Alien this morning for some advice, the bike is only 8 months old & has covered less than 150 miles so the cause is unlikely to be associated with heavy use. I will keep you posted.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Thanks for the suggestions, I had been round the bike tightening all the obvious loose spokes which didn't make a difference. However as so many people had suggested this as the probable cause I tightened every spoke on the bike and it seems to have done the trick. I never remember loose spokes being that noisy, could it be the added weight of the front hub motor that exacerbated the noise?

Credit again to Alien who are quick to respond to phone calls / emails with useful sugestions, it's reassuring to those of us less familiar with cycles that after sales help remains a priority even from such a distance. :)

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks for the advice, I can't seem to get to the bottom of this, it doesn't appear related to the pedal unit as this can be stationary and the noise persists, it seems related to the rotation of the front wheel when I am sitting on the bike / applying pressure on the handlebars.

I have emailed Jim at Alien this morning for some advice, the bike is only 8 months old & has covered less than 150 miles so the cause is unlikely to be associated with heavy use. I will keep you posted.
Ok yes i would be interested to hear how it all turns out as we have the same supplier cheers n beers good luck:) they are aways very helpfull at Alien.

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, I had been round the bike tightening all the obvious loose spokes which didn't make a difference. However as so many people had suggested this as the probable cause I tightened every spoke on the bike and it seems to have done the trick. I never remember loose spokes being that noisy, could it be the added weight of the front hub motor that exacerbated the noise?

Credit again to Alien who are quick to respond to phone calls / emails with useful sugestions, it's reassuring to those of us less familiar with cycles that after sales help remains a priority even from such a distance. :)
Hi there well i myself am not that brill. when it comes to electric bike's but from what you say it would seem Alien have done you proud :D mind i understand that a front wheel hub motor does produce more torque to the wheel praps that was the prob. all along ..glad it's sorted anyhow take care T.J