alien ocean aurora help

Neil Daniel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 13, 2014
Hi, I hope I am on the correct forum here as this is my first post.
I have just bought a second hand alien aurora but it did not have a users manual. Is there anywhere online I can download one? or at least can another member tell me what the proper functions of the A/E button under the throttle do.
A second point I have is the battery on the bike is time expired and wondered what the pros snd cons of fitting a bottle battery are as the originals seems impossible to source.
Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Neil

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Hi, I hope I am on the correct forum here as this is my first post.
I have just bought a second hand alien aurora but it did not have a users manual. Is there anywhere online I can download one? or at least can another member tell me what the proper functions of the A/E button under the throttle do.
A second point I have is the battery on the bike is time expired and wondered what the pros snd cons of fitting a bottle battery are as the originals seems impossible to source.
Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Neil
Regarding your first point, from what I remember from my Alien Typhoon, which I think had the same fitting, the A/E button is simply the on/off switch for the throttle providing one is fitted and connected (Alien used to supply the throttle control separately and you had to fit it yourself).

Sorry, I can't help re the battery.

Jim

D

Deleted member 4366

Use the opportunity to upgrade to this set-up. It'll give a bit more power and a lot more range:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/678-bottle-ebike-battery.html

You can get just the battery without the controller, which is cheaper, but then you have to find a box for your controller. The normal cylindrical batteries don't normally give enough power for your motor.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Hi Neil, I have an Aurora the AE switch function is A gives you pedal assist, E allows you to use the throttle, I always ride in E mode as the kick in is quite sudden in pedal assist. I have a user manual which I can photograph and email to you if you want.

Reactions: halfer

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks for that link Jumpin, I have been searching for a new battery for ages.

JStanleyF

Just Joined
May 7, 2015
Hi All, I am new to this forum, and like a few of you have an Alien Ocean Aurora with an aging battery. Has anyone successfully replaced one yet, from UK or overseas source?
My battery can still just about get me too and from work 7 miles each way with a charge at work, but occasionally it locks up at 6 miles.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Hi All, I am new to this forum, and like a few of you have an Alien Ocean Aurora with an aging battery. Has anyone successfully replaced one yet, from UK or overseas source?
My battery can still just about get me too and from work 7 miles each way with a charge at work, but occasionally it locks up at 6 miles.
I have recently replaced my Aurora battery with this one , you will probably need to extend the wires and solder it into the controller as I did. the battery is working well. Also the bike is much better balanced with the battery being lower down in the frame.

http://eclipsebikes.com/13ah-lithium-frame-battery-samsung-cells-p-1103.html?osCsid=e53ed83456efa5724da31361733bdba8

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Chuck that monstrosity of a rack and fit a frame-mounted battery like the eclipse one. You can get them from BMSBattery too. Go for the best quality one you can get (branded cells). You can mount your controller under the saddle in a tool bag similar to this:

Reactions: VictoryV

JStanleyF

Just Joined
May 7, 2015
Thanks johnc and d8veh, I had not thought of scrapping the existing style of battery. I like the idea of the lower centre of gravity, as I have had a few delicate moments on steep inclines when the bike has reared backwards. How does the Ah rating of the old battery compare with the new?

D

Deleted member 4366

You can het those batteries in 14.5Ah with Panasonic cells. That's a lot more capacity than your old one. Also, they can give 20A continuous, which gives you the chance to upgrade the conttoller for more power.

Pinball

Jun 3, 2015
Hi guys,

I have an Aurora ebike bought from Alien Ocean.

Battery now dead/cuts out after a couple of miles so I bought a replacement from BMS (using link in this very thread). This is 14.5Ah vs the original's 10.0Ah (same voltage). I had to change socket, but battery otherwise physically compatible/same size and slides onto pannier.

But, on switching on, bike is dead. Why? Does it need a different regulator or other changes? What might these be?

In desperation I ordered another battery from BMS; same one but this time 10.0Ah as per the original. Assuming this works, I have a 14.5Ah battery to sell! Unused...

Meanwhile, any advice as to what the problem might be would be much appreciated!

Pinball

Jun 3, 2015
More specifically, what new controller do I need to buy, and where can I get it? Will the 10.0Ah battery work (I assume so)?

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you check the polarity of your new battery? If not, you've smoked your controller.
You don't need any sort of a regulator for your battery. You just connect it to the controller (the right way round). To check that it's working, you only need to check that it has about 42v between its two discharge wires. I'm sure that there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinball

Jun 3, 2015
Funny you should mention that. I was caught out as Chinese have black wire live, red wire neutral. The battery is fine. In the Aurora, what controller do I need and where can I get it (BMS link please)? I'm a noob so please bear with me! Thanks. As Alien Ocean is dead it's hard to get this right... I even had Jim's number but he never answered or returned voicemails. A shame as he lost some business (for battery etc).

D

Deleted member 4366

If only, you had bought the battery with the included 20A controller kit. It's perfect for your motor. You can still buy the controller on its own, but when I did that, the PAS didn't work. They provide a different sensor to the one that comes with the battery. I don't know if that's the problem or whether it was just faulty.

Before we can decide on a controller, is your motor sensored or sensorless?