alien ocean aurora help

Pinball

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2015
Apologies for my ignorance but I don't know.. It's an Aurora bought from Alien Ocean. In hindsight, I'm thinking I should have bought a 10.0Ah battery instead of 14.5Ah to just swap out the existing Phylion 10.0Ah battery (that was the 2nd one I bought from Alien Ocean as they don't last long)- did need to wire in a different socket, but that's easy.

Would a 10.0Ah from BMS work ok without the need for new controller etc?

If so, I have a brand new 14.5Ah battery to sell at a low price!

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't sell anything yet until we establish what's wrong. The 15.5 Ah battery is perfect for your bike. The 10Ah one might be a bit under-powered.

How many wires are there on your motor connector?ppp
Are there only three thick wires or three thick ones and five thin ones on a separate connector block?

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you count them or is that just a picture from the internet?

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I counted them when I removed my motor from the bike and took it apart when a screw had come out inside
motor3.jpg

That internet photo was just for clarification.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have a three-wire motor, the 20A sinewave controller won't work with it because it's for sensored motors. This means that you need to use an external controller (the original one) and put it in a saddle bag, like in my photo above. I have the bottom piece of the battery without the controller. I would be happy to, part exchange it for the bottom with the controller if you want. It's only 2 screws to change it over. Send me a message if you want to take this option.

Pinball

Jun 3, 2015
An update: I ordered a second, this time 10.0Ah battery from BMS (same power as original Aurora battery), and it works! The 14.5Ah battery (otherwise identical) doesn't work (nothing turns on), so I assume would need a different controller fitted.

I've decided to stick with the 10.0Ah battery, so have a brand new hardly used 14.5Ah battery going cheap, if anyone wants one! Otherwise I'll keep it, as who knows when the controller will die etc.

For info for other Aurora owners, the only mod I had to do was change the battery socket on the bike to the kettle lead type that was supplied with the BMS battery. Henceforth I'll therefore be able to swap out the battery easily. Phew.

Thanks guys for your help.

ANewby

Apr 26, 2017
Devon
Hi Neil, I have an Aurora the AE switch function is A gives you pedal assist, E allows you to use the throttle, I always ride in E mode as the kick in is quite sudden in pedal assist. I have a user manual which I can photograph and email to you if you want.
Hi johnc, I also recently bought what I think is an Aurora, I was about to ask about the AE switch and you have answered my question, thanks. Is it possible you still have the user manual available? I would be most grateful to learn more about the bike, my first ebike. Thanks

johnc46

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2010
Hi johnc, I also recently bought what I think is an Aurora, I was about to ask about the AE switch and you have answered my question, thanks. Is it possible you still have the user manual available? I would be most grateful to learn more about the bike, my first ebike. Thanks

PM me your email and I will photo and send them, any other queries I will be happy to help you with. John

ANewby

Apr 26, 2017
Devon
Hi John
Sorry, I don't know how to PM you on this forum. I'll be very grateful for the handbook if you can tell me how.

At present I'm trying to replace heat damaged kettle type connectors to the battery, I've been advised to use Deans or XT60's on extended wires, but they look puny in comparison with the originals, will they really carry 10 plus amps at 36 volts?

Many thanks for your offer of help

johnc46

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2010
Hi I think if you click on my user name then click start a conversation that should be it, if you are interested I have an original battery case complete with 2 keys and BMS if it's any use to you. John

Last edited: