Almost decided. Or have I?

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
In the space of a few weeks I've gone from a 'know nowt' to someone who knows a bit and is seriously considering a purchase.

I had a test ride of a Cube E bike at my local dealer (All-terrain cycles, Saltaire, West Yorks). and I bloody loved it! It was the wrong size and only around their car park but still, what fun!

I am now considering a Cube bike. Its main use is to replace my car on the commute but I do actually enjoy riding for the fun of it but I'm not awfully keen on great big hills, except the ones that go down and not up...

My place of work is about 100m higher than my house and so commuting by normal bike leaves me very sweaty and in need of a shower. Something which I've neither time nor facility for at work.

I think my choice now is between the Cube Reaction HPA which has the higher power Bosch Performance CX motor (£1800) and the Cube cross hybrid with the Bosch Active line motor (£1500)

My commute is going to be on-road. I can use a Sustrans trail and may do so from time to time.

Will I really benefit from the extra torque and higher assist as a 95% on road rider?
The bikes weigh near enough the same as each other.
Whichever I buy it will be fitted with mudguards, lights and a pannier rack.

Opinions please.

Ta,

Jay

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its only 15% more with the cx motor, both will fly up hills ;)

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
its only 15% more with the cx motor, both will fly up hills ;)
The active line is 48-50 nm the CX is 75nm.Thats not 15 %.The torque of the cx is also coming in already at a cadence of 20.I think it is a big difference between the two and would certainly go for the CX

chr4

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2015
I was going to buy a bike with a min 60Nm until I tried a few bikes and 50 turned out to be plenty for me (motor made by shimano, not bosch). You really need to try and see for yourself. Cx is usually found on mtbs, for commuting you might want a diffrent type of bike.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
As the torque figures quoted by sellers in the Ebike industry are about as reliable as motor vehicle fuel consumption claims, the best way to determine which machine suits one's needs best is to test-ride the likeliest candidates on a short list of otherwise suitable bikes.

Frankly, if there is an industry standard for such power figures, them I'm not aware of it and unless all advertisers are playing by the same rules, one can't be sure as to how the quoted numbers are arrived at, more particularly where those numbers occur.

Going off at a tangent, does it matter whether one bike provides marginally more assistance than another if that more powerful machine has frame geometry which will never entirely allow one a comfortable riding position? What I'm saying is that there is more to a suitable bike than stark numbers on paper, indeed more than actual power delivery. The least powerful of my EAPCs also happens to be the most comfortable of my bikes but hills are a struggle for me on that one. That aside, I could stay in the saddle for hours without suffering discomfort.

Tom

Reactions: JohnCade

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Is the mountain bike bit important? I'd have the Cube cross hybrid or something with a rack and lights and mudguard.

Do you really need the chunky tyres? Thats where the torque will go maybe?

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
The cube cross hybrid is one of the choices. As far as I can tell they're reasonably similar bikes, different motors in them, different gearing.

Would I notice the different torque when carrying a load (up hill)?

Whichever I went for it would get panniered up.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
The cube cross hybrid is one of the choices. As far as I can tell they're reasonably similar bikes, different motors in them, different gearing.

Would I notice the different torque when carrying a load (up hill)?

Whichever I went for it would get panniered up.
of course you would notice the different torque

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it never hurts to have more torque.

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
That's kinda my thinking. The point of this is to replace the car for the commute. Its a waste of serious cash if I don't ride to work on it so I think that to be sure it'll do the job then make sure its got all the power!

When I get the test bike I plan to ride it from the shop to where I work. There are three sizeable hills on that route, all of which i'd prefer to avoid on my 'normal' bike -in favour of a more circuitous but gentler route.

If I can do that journey without killing myself then I reckon its a bike sold.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
That's kinda my thinking. The point of this is to replace the car for the commute. Its a waste of serious cash if I don't ride to work on it so I think that to be sure it'll do the job then make sure its got all the power!

When I get the test bike I plan to ride it from the shop to where I work. There are three sizeable hills on that route, all of which i'd prefer to avoid on my 'normal' bike -in favour of a more circuitous but gentler route.

If I can do that journey without killing myself then I reckon its a bike sold.
Bigger is better torque wise :)

I definitely noticed the difference between 70 + 80 nm on the impulse/evo. Not massive, around 1 or 2 mph on the same hill.

How long is your commute?

Battery maybe most important?

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
Bigger is better torque wise :)

I definitely noticed the difference between 70 + 80 nm on the impulse/evo. Not massive, around 1 or 2 mph on the same hill.

How long is your commute?

Battery maybe most important?

The commute is only about 5 miles. Its just all up!
Except when I go home...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lucky you! So a good climber is in order so you don't get to work all hot and sweaty. If that is possible outside of July and August :p just being cheeky because we are finally in for a patch of cold weather! <sound of champagne corks> My current requirements are a bike that has great handling in + 40 kts winds... Maybe I need something heavier :eek:

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
That makes it much easier as probably all ebikes would do that distance on full assist.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
you can`t compare the impulse drive to the bosch because the impulse has more torque and power,i have the impulse and bosch performance both rated at S 350w however the impulse drive can climb hills two gears higher than the bosch when both are in the high power mode setting plus cruising on the flat is easier.

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
In the space of a few weeks I've gone from a 'know nowt' to someone who knows a bit and is seriously considering a purchase.

I had a test ride of a Cube E bike at my local dealer (All-terrain cycles, Saltaire, West Yorks). and I bloody loved it! It was the wrong size and only around their car park but still, what fun!

I am now considering a Cube bike. Its main use is to replace my car on the commute but I do actually enjoy riding for the fun of it but I'm not awfully keen on great big hills, except the ones that go down and not up...

My place of work is about 100m higher than my house and so commuting by normal bike leaves me very sweaty and in need of a shower. Something which I've neither time nor facility for at work.

I think my choice now is between the Cube Reaction HPA which has the higher power Bosch Performance CX motor (£1800) and the Cube cross hybrid with the Bosch Active line motor (£1500)

My commute is going to be on-road. I can use a Sustrans trail and may do so from time to time.

Will I really benefit from the extra torque and higher assist as a 95% on road rider?
The bikes weigh near enough the same as each other.
Whichever I buy it will be fitted with mudguards, lights and a pannier rack.

Opinions please.

Ta,

Jay
Some guidance here in the link below. In my fifth month of use now and nearly 2000 kms of faultless riding. Qwic smart E Urban. Lovely quality machine.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/tour-world-70s-electric-bike/

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
Your previous comments on the Qwic Smart Urban interested me because I am looking for a small wheeled e-bike in the price range £1.5k - £2.5k. At 65 I have trouble throwing my leg over the crossbar of a traditional mens bike. Did you consider the Kalkhoff Sahel or other small-wheeled models before your purchase?

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Hello Jay. I bought a Cube SUV model just recently (thanks to the support from this forum!) and it was entirely worth the outlay. Commuting/travelling becomes a joy rather then a chore. It is likely that both those bikes will do the job. The SUV is active line and can handle the steepest hills with fairly minimal effort. Maybe the following will help you.

The last part of my commute is on a very steep hill road with an elevation gain of 22%. To put that into context a cycling enthusiasts on a 'normal bike' would likely feel hill gradients in approximately the following ways.

1% a slight grade is visible.
2% still easy.
4% some effort required
6% starting to be hard work. Occasional standing to work different muscles.
8% hard work, alternating standing and sitting (low gears. Many riders are standing full time here)
10% standing up.
15% standing, going 4 mph
20% climbing as slow as I can balance, about 3-3.5 mph

However on the Active line the 22% feels like a 4/5%, and I average with the assistance at 8 mph and am not that fit. Obviously with the CX you will go a few mph faster and that effort level is pretty much guaranteed to be in 'easy mode'. (The SUV is also 3kg heavier). I'm guessing you will not have climbs that steep, e bikes are anti sweat machines!

Overall it could be argued that there may not be much difference, for me though, part of the joy of the bike is the power it gives, most people will always want more. Therefore, I would go for the CX. I would say active line is an excellent experience, but the CX would probably be fantastic.

It is also worth noting the batteries, if the less expensive active line is 400 and the CX is 500 for example then that is another very good reason to go for the Reaction with CX.

I also bought from All terrain, and at the time they had Black Friday, twenty per cent of all bikes, so maybe there are deals to be done. I hope this helped a bit.

Reactions: Jay Russell

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Your previous comments on the Qwic Smart Urban interested me because I am looking for a small wheeled e-bike in the price range £1.5k - £2.5k. At 65 I have trouble throwing my leg over the crossbar of a traditional mens bike. Did you consider the Kalkhoff Sahel or other small-wheeled models before your purchase?
I am now just 77. I can sympathise with the difficulties your are having. I spent a few months researching electric bikes and particularly folders. I think I looked at pretty well everything on the market. Finally I settled on the Qwic. Why? 1. The quality of build. It IS DESIGNED and does not look like an agricultural implement! 2. I wanted a divorce from the derailleur after being married to it since school-days. 3. I could see the easy potential for customising. (eg: I changed the saddle to my 30 year old Brooks. Fitted a front rack that accepts my panniers. Changed the pedals for some I already had. Fitted a longer reach stem. Fitted a Zefal bottle carrier) 4. It has a dynamo bracket. 5. For the summer, lighter tyres can be used. 6. It gives the reasonable range of about 50-60 miles on a charge.
So, sometimes when we spend, we may have some afterthoughts about whether it was in the right direction. Six months with my Qwic I have no such feelings. The dealers in Rye (pleasure to deal with) do not apparently have any in stock. That maybe a good sign about its popularity in Holland.
Best wishes in your search.

Attachments

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
Thanks for that 5threeone. Keep us updated on how your Qwic bike is performing. It's down on my list as a strong possibility. I had to smile when you mentioned the 30 year-old Brooks saddle. I have one around that age just waiting for a new bike to go on!