ammaco trike conversion

kevmozzer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2019
Hi all, first post here so bare with me.
I have recently put a bbbs01 250w on my giant hybrid, and love it. My wife has now decided that she would like an ebike, but has dodgy knees, and is scared of falling off, so we decided a trike would be best. She likes the Ammaco and I am thinking of putting the bafang front hub on it. Was wondering if anyone had done one before? (thinking of the bafang as I have the programming lead, and know how to tweak things}.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Does she know they aren't stable in corners? She would be much better off on a cargo trike with two wheels at the front if she wants to sit upright.

- twin disk brakes on the front
- loads of space for shopping, the dog, children...

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
and there was me thinking she would be more stable on three wheels! Thank you.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Hope she finds what she's looking for soon

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
thanks fat rat. Doing some more looking around now. The 26" was to suit the bafang motor, they don't seem to be available pre-built in 20" rims.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The front drive is ok even up to 28 inch and 24 on the rear is ok 26 if you use 2.3 inch tyres but only speed in a straight line good brakes are essential and go very slow round corners

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
After much searching, she has settled on the Misson trilogy 20". Apparently with two wheels at the front she would look like a butchers boy!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have just rebuilt a old mission trike and had to buy a replacement drive shaft found them very helpful and nothing was to much of a problem as they keep an extensive stock the trilogy looks great :)

Reactions: kevmozzer

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Apparently your wife wasn't born in the Netherlands! Here on the continent trikes with two rear wheels are considered geriatric devices and very rarely seen doing over 10 km/h. You may quote me on that to her :p

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
Apparently your wife wasn't born in the Netherlands! Here on the continent trikes with two rear wheels are considered geriatric devices and very rarely seen doing over 10 km/h. You may quote me on that to her :p
I have done, best get on your bike!

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
I have just rebuilt a old mission trike and had to buy a replacement drive shaft found them very helpful and nothing was to much of a problem as they keep an extensive stock the trilogy looks great :)
Peter, do you know the bottom bracket size or this. I have looked on the mission site,but it just says BMX style. Just considering all options. Thanks

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Sorry I cant help you not seen one in the real world give mission a call they will help
do not think of a bbs01 conversion as the trike does not have a rear diff makes going round corners:eek: i found this out the hard way ouch :oops:trikes and a corner at speed under power :rolleyes:

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
Sorry I cant help you not seen one in the real world give mission a call they will help
do not think of a bbs01 conversion as the trike does not have a rear diff makes going round corners:eek: i found this out the hard way ouch :oops:trikes and a corner at speed under power :rolleyes:
That solves that then, thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is what a delta trike that goes around corners looks like:

You can fit a diff to it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That's cool, but I might need a hoist to get her off it. That height and dodgy knees may not be a good mix.
That one has quite a high seat and it can be raised a bit more. It is the long wheelbase and the weight between the rear wheels that give it stability. Most recumbent trikes have an adaptive mode with higher seats and even grab handles for getting in and out these days. There are lots of us older folk riding recumbents. Here is a high seat "recumbent", full suspension, e-assist and price sticker shock guaranteed!

https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/scorpion_plus26/index_e.html

In my case I am lying down between the front wheels and the back of my helmet could touch the top of the rear wheel if I didn't have a neck rest :cool: It does have an optional seat raiser accessory and I hope to live long enough to need one of those fitted to mine :)

kevmozzer

Mar 6, 2019
That one has quite a high seat and it can be raised a bit more. It is the long wheelbase and the weight between the rear wheels that give it stability. Most recumbent trikes have an adaptive mode with higher seats and even grab handles for getting in and out these days. There are lots of us older folk riding recumbents. Here is a high seat "recumbent", full suspension, e-assist and price sticker shock guaranteed!

https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/scorpion_plus26/index_e.html

In my case I am lying down between the front wheels and the back of my helmet could touch the top of the rear wheel if I didn't have a neck rest :cool: It does have an optional seat raiser accessory and I hope to live long enough to need one of those fitted to mine :)
Price shock is right