And So The Journey Begins...

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
It looks like I have a new hobby.
It all began with me moving house soon, closer to work and give myself the challenge of cycling regularly.
The problem is I have not sat on a bike for about 20years, am not overweight but am alot unfitter than I look, so checking out expensive quality racer style road bikes thinking it will make it easier and more possible but maybe still a bit too sweaty when I got there a mate said why not look at electric bikes, surely they must be available.
Imagining they'd be silly looking slow things with small wheels, weighing loads and being totally impractical for my 10mile commute and very little choice I started my journey investigating this new idea.
First I surprisingly came across normal looking bikes ready made,
then I came across conversion kits and thinking I could use one of the expensive racer style bikes to convert myself as I am quite mechanically minded.
Then I found this forum and found it's possible to convert your own from parts, which could be made faster for the off road tracks near where I'm moving to.
That lead me to do lots of reading and learning over the past 2 weeks, so thanks to all the regular members for all their help I've already had from you.
I've not even decided on a bike yet or ridden one and I've become almost obsessive about wanting various parts to try different ideas and to make this more than an easier and cheaper commute to work but also a full on (probably expensive) hobby for the off road too, however I may kickstart the hobby by purchasing a ready made mounting bike style ebike to give me an idea of what they should be like...