And the kitchen sink

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Whilst out on the ride last night with the lad that I have recently started to ride with, we got talking about what spares etc that we each carry, and it turned out that we think along the same lines.
I've long been conscious of the fact that my night time riding often takes me to places where if I was to have an accident, I could have a few problems on my hands.
You might possibly think that some of the following is comical, but this is the kit that my poor old Camel Bak has to put with.

The battery key isn't shown, and I still need to order up a rear mech hanger, but the kit consists of.

Mountain Morph pump.
Emergency poncho.
Inner tube. (I run tubeless)
A couple of freezer bags.
Money.
Survival matches.
Cable ties.
Foil thermal blanket.
Wadding for fire lighting.
Two multi tools.
Chain lube.
Heavy duty tyre levers.
Puncture repair kit.
Spare chain.
First aid kit.
A couple of rank tasting energy gels.
A Fox 40 survival whistle.
A couple of pairs of Latex gloves.
Spare chain links.

I also have a medical alert/id info attached to the helmet.

The above may or may not give you ideas of what to carry, but I'd be interested to read about what others carry when out for ride.

Items also carried but not mentioned above. Mobile phone and snacks. I also have a spare mini back up torch mounted to the handlebars, that never gets used for main lighting. I saves trying to rummage around to find a torch, or having to remove the main lights.

Last edited:

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Crikey Eddie...sensibly well equipped, but what does the weight come to?
I carry a mobile, whistle, short razor edged knife, surgical gloves, mini box of Scabs, spare chain link, £10 note, tyre levers, multi tool and a mini pump.
These all go in a small triangle bag under the crossbar and weigh more than i'd like.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
My requirements are a bit different as I'm commuting, so never far from the madding croud. On my road bike I take the following in a 14 litre pannier:
  • Spare inner tube
  • Tyre levers
  • Multi tool
  • Chain link tool
  • Couple of small spanners (why? I don't think they fit the bike!)
  • Pump
  • My 20-year-old Goretex waterproof jacket
  • Shirt, underwear and socks for the day (trousers and shoes are at work)
  • Wallet, money & keys
  • Often a camera and a couple of lenses
I carry a handkerchief and mobile phone in the pockets of my jersey. When I finish the electric commuter the above will go into a bikepacking saddlepack to do away with the rear rack, together with a lightweight 36V 11.6Ah battery, cell checker and possibly the DC-DC converter to run my lights.

Michael

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
For some reason, I was given the compulsion to buy one of those emergency storm shelter tents (4 man size)at the start of the week. I hope to find it at work today and add that to my commute kit for cycling/ walking until the end of March in case of severe snow on the way home and the need to shelter - possibly with another commuter if the trains stop. Sounds crazy, but I'd rather know I've got somewhere to stop on country lanes if need be!
Will work out full kit later!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
A dog dazzer is a must, to send ultra hight frequency sound to ward off the odd beasty. Works on cats too.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Whilst out on the ride last night with the lad that I have recently started to ride with, we got talking about what spares etc that we each carry, and it turned out that we think along the same lines.
I've long been conscious of the fact that my night time riding often takes me to places where if I was to have an accident, I could have a few problems on my hands.
You might possibly think that some of the following is comical, but this is the kit that my poor old Camel Bak has to put with.

The battery key isn't shown, and I still need to order up a rear mech hanger, but the kit consists of.

Mountain Morph pump.
Emergency poncho.
Inner tube. (I run tubeless)
A couple of freezer bags.
Money.
Survival matches.
Cable ties.
Foil thermal blanket.
Wadding for fire lighting.
Two multi tools.
Chain lube.
Heavy duty tyre levers.
Puncture repair kit.
Spare chain.
First aid kit.
A couple of rank tasting energy gels.
A Fox 40 survival whistle.
A couple of pairs of Latex gloves.
Spare chain links.

I also have a medical alert/id info attached to the helmet.

The above may or may not give you ideas of what to carry, but I'd be interested to read about what others carry when out for ride.

Items also carried but not mentioned above. Mobile phone and snacks. I also have a spare mini back up torch mounted to the handlebars, that never gets used for main lighting. I saves trying to rummage around to find a torch, or having to remove the main lights.
In the being prepared stakes, I can't fault your kit list Eddie, but from interest I wonder why you attach your medicalert to your helmet, rather than round your wrist or neck, where they would normally be found? Or is this becoming a convention amongst MTBers?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
but what does the weight come to?
I did wonder that after writing it all out. Just weighed it all including the Camel Bak, and it comes to 1.6kg. That excludes any water though.

In the being prepared stakes, I can't fault your kit list Eddie, but from interest I wonder why you attach your medicalert to your helmet, rather than round your wrist or neck, where they would normally be found? Or is this becoming a convention amongst MTBers?
Being truthful it seemed like a good idea at the time, but as you have indicated, I think that it is actually quite an ineffectual place to put it. Wrist or neck is far better.

This is what I have.

http://www.medicaldatacarrier.com/

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Being truthful it seemed like a good idea at the time, but as you have indicated, I think that it is actually quite an ineffectual place to put it. Wrist or neck is far better.

This is what I have.

http://www.medicaldatacarrier.com/

Well that particular item certainly explains why it's on your helmet! And it addresses one of the concerns I had which was what happens if someone well meaning takes your helmet off and you become 'separated' from it. If it became more common, then people would expect it, I suppose:)

C

Cyclezee

What about a pair of nylons just incase the fan belt goeso_O

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Fan belt?
But a pack of durex would not be out of place in that kit. When I was in cadet force, the army cadets used to pack a survival match box for night exercise. This often included a durex (unlubricated) as they said it would stretch to allow them to carry 5litres of water!
Very useful in the event of an unexpected battery fire in a remote location me thinks!
Of course there is always the conventional use should any attractive ladies be impressed be your cycling prowess!;)

Reactions: EddiePJ

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Fan belt?
But a pack of durex would not be out of place in that kit....
Of course there is always the conventional use should any attractive ladies be impressed be your cycling prowess!;)
Traditional use? I've never understood how ladies find this appealing...:D

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just added a few more bits to the list in readiness for the Swiss trip.
Not all to be carried. ;)

A couple more spare tubes.
Spare tyre.
Track stand.
Track pump.
Shock pump.
More cable ties.
Another spare chain, so making two spare.
More spare links, so making four spare.
30ml spray bottle of silicon spray. (This is make fitting the WTB's easier)
Can of fork juice.
Duck oil.
Wet and dry lube, over and above the small amount that I already carry.
Various tools, which I always pack in the car anyway. Plus cycle specific tools.
One rear mech hanger, and I might see if I can borrow/scrounge another.
Two sets of spare brake pads.
A couple of lengths of control cable.

Still haven't got hold of the condoms yet though! :)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Just added a few more bits to the list in readiness for the Swiss trip.
Not all to be carried. ;)

A couple more spare tubes.
Spare tyre.
Track stand.
Track pump.
Shock pump.
More cable ties.
Another spare chain, so making two spare.
More spare links, so making four spare.
30ml spray bottle of silicon spray. (This is make fitting the WTB's easier)
Can of fork juice.
Duck oil.
Wet and dry lube, over and above the small amount that I already carry.
Various tools, which I always pack in the car anyway. Plus cycle specific tools.
One rear mech hanger, and I might see if I can borrow/scrounge another.
Two sets of spare brake pads.
A couple of lengths of control cable.

Still haven't got hold of the condoms yet though! :)
Eddie, like Brody in the Jaws movie said, you're gunna need a bigger bag.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
This is not out of the question as there is a video on youtube showing how to replace a broken chain with one to get you to help. Going to see if I can find it.

Advertisers