Angle Grinder Ebike Thief .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
A video of a £3000 Ebike being stolen in broad daylight in London appeared on a Newspaper Site yesterday . Passers by didn`t seem bothered, but one Person video`d the one minute operation . A British designed D lock called Hiplok D1000 has been reviewed in the Cycle and Motorcycling Press and is referred to as an` Angle Grinder Eater `. Lets hope so .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately the sad state of affairs we are in today, lack of policing on the ground and most will be in scotland for the cop show.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
A video of a £3000 Ebike being stolen in broad daylight in London appeared on a Newspaper Site yesterday . Passers by didn`t seem bothered, but one Person video`d the one minute operation . A British designed D lock called Hiplok D1000 has been reviewed in the Cycle and Motorcycling Press and is referred to as an` Angle Grinder Eater `. Lets hope so .
I saw that video. The lad was so brazen and when the person videoing asked, is that your bike, he just said huh and carried on. Who would challenge someone with an ankle grinder? I think most wouldn't get involved for fear of being attacked.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Scum.

They should crucify them.

I'd do it if no one else had the stomach.

Be clear, this only happens because no government has the stomach to deal with it. Too much limp wristed hand holding.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A British designed D lock called Hiplok D1000 has been reviewed in the Cycle and Motorcycling Press and is referred to as an` Angle Grinder Eater `. Lets hope so .
Withstands "10 minutes"

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A whopping 4lbs in weight and a £250 price tag.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sadly demonstrating again why two (minimal) locks are needed, plus a loud and sensitive alarm as well, when parking where the general public is close..... If you are the owner of a £3000 E-bike or similar.
A well hidden GPS tracker is also a good idea.....available for around £40 on ebay.
Not taking such security seriously (well under £300 in total, and it might reduce your insurance premiums as well!) , is why these thieves are so happy to take expensive stuff, in broad daylight, with plenty of foot traffic..
regards
Andy
A

innate

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2020
A whopping 4lbs in weight and a £250 price tag.
Good points. If I were a low-life with an angle grinder and wanted a bike secured with this lock I’d be tempted to cut the frame instead. I know (from my own experience) that a damaged frame destroys the integrity of the whole bike from an insurance pov but fork, bars, pedals, cranks, gears, wheels, tyres, etc might still make the theft worthwhile.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There is often the alternative of cutting the rack or whatever the bike is secured to. You can't ride the bike off, but a thief may well have a car/van just to hand anyway.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depending on where one locks the bike and under what circumstances may dictate the crook who is going to try and steal your bike. A chancer like a nomad is always likely on the prowl and and then targeted bikes esp if a routine is noted, they then can take it at will when they wish.
Cycling to work unless the bike is in a secure compound I wouldn't ride an expensive looking bike that will get noticed.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
There is often the alternative of cutting the rack or whatever the bike is secured to. You can't ride the bike off, but a thief may well have a car/van just to hand anyway.
That is exactly how many motorbikes are stolen, with a van and two strong men to lift. It only takes seconds.
Andy

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
That is exactly how many motorbikes are stolen, with a van and two strong men to lift. It only takes seconds.
Andy
This seems to be big business - shocking. What do they do with the bikes? Scrap them or resell?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This seems to be big business - shocking. What do they do with the bikes? Scrap them or resell?
The question is very valid, but probably only the Police and/or thieves will really know I guess.
Can anyone else give us all a valid answer?
I did find this:-
Andy

Reactions: UrbanPuma

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Three preventative measures to ensure peace of mind:

Insurance Insurance Insurance

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Three preventative measures to ensure peace of mind:

Insurance Insurance Insurance
My alternative 3 are
remove battery (impossible to resell as no way buyer knows it works)
make bike look crap (no resale value) with lots of wires hanging loose
multiple u locks (one each for frame & both wheels) its still quicker than walking home!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
make bike look crap (no resale value) with lots of wires hanging loose
That sounds like many of the bikes I've seen on here lol DIY builds with wires hanging out everywhere.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015