Another Carrra Vulcan problem

BlueMoon2371

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2019
South Yorkshire
Hi all.
I have been reading through previous posts regarding problems with this bike but haven't really found a definitive answer to my problem. I have lost my assistance when peddling. All the display is lit up and operating as it should and the walk mode works when pressed. I have unplugged the connector on the chain stay and cleaned with electrical cleaner and removed the sensor on the back of the chain wheel and cleaned with white spirit as well as the wheel that it locates to. The sensor doesn't have any damage to look at. Help! !anyone have anymore ideas what to look at or is it nailed in that the sensor is knackered.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Is it a detacheable display? If so, the display has been known to cause this. Remove it, clean the contacts, and refit. Some folk also put a cable tie around it to stop it vibrating in the holder and causing cut outs.

If walk mode is still working then im not entirely sure that's the problem, but it's worth a go. It may well be that you have sonething else at fault in there - if its under 2 years old its still in warranty so id take it back.

This seems to be largely solved on the latest machines, but I don't know exactly what was changed to sort it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all.
I have been reading through previous posts regarding problems with this bike but haven't really found a definitive answer to my problem. I have lost my assistance when peddling. All the display is lit up and operating as it should and the walk mode works when pressed. I have unplugged the connector on the chain stay and cleaned with electrical cleaner and removed the sensor on the back of the chain wheel and cleaned with white spirit as well as the wheel that it locates to. The sensor doesn't have any damage to look at. Help! !anyone have anymore ideas what to look at or is it nailed in that the sensor is knackered.
There's a little tab where the sensor wire goes into the battery compartment. Pull that out, then you can pull on the wire to get at the connector. You'll have to remove thr sealant at the back of the connector to be able to test. With the bike switched on:

1. Check that you have 5v between red and black
  2. Check between black and yellow. It should change between 1.5v and 4.2v, depending on how hard you press on the crank. You'll probably need some help with that.
  3. Check between black and green. It should give approx 18 pulses per rotation of the crank. No force necessary.

BlueMoon2371

Jan 15, 2019
South Yorkshire
Thanks for that. I have just ordered a new torque sensor and fully stripped and cleaned the castlated items on the back of the chain set so will see how that goes. If that fails I will get on with checking the voltages that you supplied the info about. Many thanks for that

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

BlueMoon2371

Jan 15, 2019
South Yorkshire
Thanks for that. I have just ordered a new torque sensor and fully stripped and cleaned the castlated items on the back of the chain set so will see how that goes. If that fails I will get on with checking the voltages that you supplied the info about. Many thanks for that
Received the new Torque sensor yesterday from Powerbikes UK and fitted it last night. It's now sorted back to good use again and back using for my commute.