another good day for a leisure ride

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
2013 02 26 Loch Lednock reservoir 27 mile ride and Deil's Cauldron | Garmin Adventures

27 miles today taking just under 3 hours with over 2,000 ft of climb.....sunny but an icy breeze. took a lot of photos but did not hang around for long. The loch had ice on the surface.....
tough climb to reach Loch Lednock, the first time i have used the 'granny' gear' 27......

bike ran well, but was running out of assist at about 24 miles or so and battery exhausted at 26 mile , just a mile from the finish.the battery was fully charged before setting off. considering over 2000ft climbed and some of it very steep, the average usage of 10 k/w per mile from the battery seems acceptable on this route......i need to do a flattish ride until battery flat to evaluate mileage available on easier terrain.
power was set to full level the whole time.
first time i have run battery completely flat....lights on the on/off switch went out. probably at about 22 mile the assist level was dropping off but the hard climbing was done by then and the bike rides easily on the flat without assist.

regards

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hey Duncan, 10 kilowatts per mile is some going, not even sherpa Tenzing uses that on his daily K2 commute. Great pictures and an epic ride, 2000ft is a long way up, good one !

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hey Duncan, 10 kilowatts per mile is some going, not even sherpa Tenzing uses that on his daily K2 commute. Great pictures and an epic ride, 2000ft is a long way up, good one !
oh yes......should be 10 watts of course.......255 watts for the total journey......just paid my electric bill and getting confused!!!!!
regards

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
2200 ft of climbing was for the total route, the loch sits at about 1250 ft which was the highest point on the route.........far too much snow and ice here to go higher than that at the moment......and probably moving into mountain biking territory...the tarmac path only goes that high due to access to the dam....hill walking paths after that....
regards