Help! Another newbie here!

scrumpyjax

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2020
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help/advice on my FLYER. Bought it recently, very secondhand, as an easier way to get fit again after some serious heart surgery..valves and bits:eek:... Couldn't manage my normal bike.
Problems I'm having---- motor will turn itself off when it feels like it but resets.
Brakes need planning permission to stop the wheels -- can I fit rim or disc brakes to the front? Maybe change the forks?
Suspension ? almost rigid!!
Adjustable handlebar mechanism doesn't lock..Something fell out -- photo attached.
Any help please?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Likely cause of motor cut out is the battery maybe passed it's best esp if the bike/battery is quite old.
Show us a few pics of said bike and battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How long is last for ages 5, 10 , 20 miles or more ?
If the battery is well used or old then it is still capable of holding a good charge voltage, what happens is voltage on aged battery can sag quite steeply to LVC and then cuts out. Once voltage rebounds (might take a good few seconds) it then behaves normally again until the load is again to great.

Check all the electrical connections and make sure they are tight and secure, also check the connector from the motor is pushed firmly in place.

Last edited:

scrumpyjax

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2020
Difficult to judge the time or distance as the usage varies but I think it’s the original Panasonic battery and the manufacture date in the booklet is 2011/2012 so it’s old. When it finally stops raining I’ll check the connections etc. Could I get it load checked?- Its not worth buying a new battery with all the other faults I might as well just break the bike and sell the parts

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
At 8 or 9 years old it's seen it's best years by far.
You can carry out a practical load test yourself to see if it cuts out, even better to temporary wire in a meter to see what happens to the voltage during testing . Make sure the wheel is off the ground and get someone to operate the motor, apply the brake (so as not to stop the wheel) to apply a load see if the motor cuts out. Try it with the battery in various states of charge to see the lowest the voltage it cuts out on. A meter wired in will show up any voltage sag, 2v sag in high assist is acceptable but if it literally crashes casing cut out then the battery needs recycling.
A worn battery may be capable of many short flat journeys of a mile or two in low power, try in on max power and if it cuts out it is knackered, also but try it on a 10 mile route with hills to see what happens. My money is on the battery being passed it's best years.

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

scrumpyjax

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2020
At 8 or 9 years old it's seen it's best years by far.
You can carry out a practical load test yourself to see if it cuts out, even better to temporary wire in a meter to see what happens to the voltage during testing . Make sure the wheel is off the ground and get someone to operate the motor, apply the brake (so as not to stop the wheel) to apply a load see if the motor cuts out. Try it with the battery in various states of charge to see the lowest the voltage it cuts out on. A meter wired in will show up any voltage sag, 2v sag in high assist is acceptable but if it literally crashes casing cut out then the battery needs recycling.
A worn battery may be capable of many short flat journeys of a mile or two in low power, try in on max power and if it cuts out it is knackered, also but try it on a 10 mile route with hills to see what happens. My money is on the battery being passed it's best years.
Where should the meter be wired in.... + and - on battery terminal?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes though might be easier between battery and controller on the corresponding power wires, any voltage drop /sag should show up when a load is applied. Using the brake whilst activating the motor will simulate a test load of approx. > then 50% of the controllers rating. It will enough to see how good or bad the voltage sag is to get an idea of the cells ability to cope.