Another newbie question

Jakeolly

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2019
I am 60 , 6’ tall, 13 stone man, fairly fit, still playing football and running but due living in a hilly village outside Sheffield ive not taken to cycling up to now . Ive just retired and have decided To buy an e bike with a budget of £2-2,5k i dont want to ride without any effort, im doing it to get fitter,get out of breath whilst reducing the joint impact of running and five a side
The hills out of the village are 400m and very steep,and I want help to make that easier, but not without any effort, i also want to be able to ride without assistance whenever i can ,
Im not gong out for mies and it will be to get around instead of my car, not long days out in the saddle !
Ive looked at the cannondale and the Boardman
Any words of wisdom / suggestions or guidance( especially definite dos and donts , suitable and not suitable ) from more experienced / like minded people ?
Thanks in advance
Chris

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I ride the Woosh Faro for similar reasons. Although the Faro is not in your budget range (you could buy 2.5 Faros with it), it does do many of the things you'd like to see.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Are you thinking about a drop-bar (racing) bike, or a flat-bar hybrid type of bike?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
All decent bikes. You might also consider Orbea Gain and Ribble bikes with lightweight Bikemotion rear hub. Can’t beat Woosh for price. I would suggest trying out a couple of bikes, one with with a Bosch mid-drive and one with a lightweight rear hub to compare the feel and assist provided. Cube tend to be best priced Bosch motored bikes at the moment.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
You could buy a good used one such as my Haibike, it’ll be going soon when my new machine arrived.
Arthritis in my thumb makes gear changing painful, the only reason it’s going.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I am 60 , 6’ tall, 13 stone man, fairly fit, still playing football and running but due living in a hilly village outside Sheffield ive not taken to cycling up to now . Ive just retired and have decided To buy an e bike with a budget of £2-2,5k i dont want to ride without any effort, im doing it to get fitter,get out of breath whilst reducing the joint impact of running and five a side
The hills out of the village are 400m and very steep,and I want help to make that easier, but not without any effort, i also want to be able to ride without assistance whenever i can ,
Im not gong out for mies and it will be to get around instead of my car, not long days out in the saddle !
Ive looked at the cannondale and the Boardman
Any words of wisdom / suggestions or guidance( especially definite dos and donts , suitable and not suitable ) from more experienced / like minded people ?
Thanks in advance
Chris
Hi Chris
A trip to a good electric bike stockist is always very informative. At our workshop in New Mills, North West Derbyshire we have our full range of Juicy and Neomouv bikes (including Bosch and Shimano centre drives, Bafang and Aikema hub drives) and we have a local stockist in Sheffield with a small sub-range. You'd be very welcome to take a test ride on any. Our complete stockists listing can be found here. Any sale we make, either in our own shops or on-line are now passed to a local stockist or your nearest traditional bike shop. You can read about our policy of working with shops here.
Essentially, all electric bikes are good news and the gentle, controlled exercise they offer should help your fitness and joint issues.
Hope this helps.

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
I too live on the outskirts of Sheffield (Lodge Moor). Last year I bought a Canondale Neo Synapse2 from Evans (with discount). I'm very pleased with it - a good range, good gears etc. At 19.5kg it's a bit heavy but I can get it into the back of a VW Golf if I take the front wheel off first. So many good bikes out there...