Another Newbie (South Essex)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Now't wrong with a BPM front hub very strong climber an plenty of torque ideal combined with a 15ah 30Q battery though op will probably need a 17.5ah one for 60 miles.

Last edited:

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
OK, change of plan :p

I have been speaking with the Mrs and decided to buy a off the shelf bike.
This is partly so the wife can use the eBike when we are out together and she will be able to keep up. I also use my bike it a trainer and so a rear motored solution would not be ideal.

So my next question is what would you recommend I try. I have a budget of £2,000 I have shortlisted the Volt Pulse X, Emotion Evo Jet Lite (I like the integrated battery and removable rear wheel), Oxygen S-Cross CB.

As Im sure you would have noticed I looking for a Hybrid style bike, ideally with mudguards, lights etc, but I'm also attracted by styling.

Must have a cross bar to hand on a bike rack (tower mounted).

TIA
Darren

D

Deleted member 4366

I am not saying that you are wrong but where can you find a ready made bike with a BPM or a BBS01/BBS02 (or with equivalent pulling power) for the price of a kit?
A kit's not much good without a bike to put it on. You therefore have to add the cost of a donor bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've never found front hubs particularly great for that. Depending on rider weight a rear hub might cut it?
I'd worry a cheap front hub might disappoint and not deliver.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
If you go for a front hub, you can get traction problems on very steep hills. You can get rear hubs that give all the climbing torque you want. For a bicycle, there's no limit.

If you go for a front hub, you can get traction problems on very steep hills. You can get rear hubs that give all the climbing torque you want. For a bicycle, there's no limit.
I found front hubs struggle on not so steep hills too, particularly if road surface is loose or wet. Double trouble when the bike is fitted with a rear carrier rack and loaded with fair to moderate weight and/or child . I dislike the way it makes the bike handle, with vague steering and drifty front wheel under power.
Rear hubs are an improvement, but I'm still not a fan of the weight distribution compared to a mid drive.
Sure, no limits.... a Mxus 3000W rear hub on the right bike is a whole lot of fun, BUT, limited to 250W as we are to qualify as EAPC in the UK, improved torque from a mid drive goes that bit further and used efficiently with the bike's gears maximizes the power we're legally allowed to use.
If it wasn't so hilly where I live, I may accept a decent rear hub, but there's still the weight distribution thing and I have a strong preference to the weight being centralised and low down rather than swinging around at the far back of the bike.
What can I say, I'm clearly a biased mid drive fan!

D

Deleted member 4366

If it wasn't so hilly where I live, I may accept a decent rear hub, but there's still the weight distribution thing and I have a strong preference to the weight being centralised and low down rather than swinging around at the far back of the bike.
What can I say, I'm clearly a biased mid drive fan!

If you want legal, try a Xiongda hub-motor. The 48v one is like a winch in low gear. It'll change your mind about which type of motor is best for the road. Even a 48v 201 rpm Q128H from BMSB will have enough climbing power for those hills. Both of them are relative light, so I can't believe that you'd notice them at the back of your bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi guys, I've stumbled across a Kalkhoff Agattu Premium Impuse 11, what are your opinions on these?
There's a very long thread running about Kalkhoff reliability. I suggest that you read it.

If you want legal, try a Xiongda hub-motor. The 48v one is like a winch in low gear. It'll change your mind about which type of motor is best for the road. Even a 48v 201 rpm Q128H from BMSB will have enough climbing power for those hills. Both of them are relative light, so I can't believe that you'd notice them at the back of your bike.
Thank you. I'll have to check them out. I'll look into a build this summer :)
Still slight reservations about ease of removing the wheel when out and about should I catch a flat tyre, plus tools required and the drop out suitability/ strength on certain bikes.
Not so important with disc brakes, but spoke/rim damage is also of heightened concern. The roads around here are far from smooth! I guess a higher quality rim and larger gauge spokes help.
For road riding/commuting I see they may be a good option.

D

Deleted member 4366

Ok so Motor reliability is questionable on the Kalkhoff range, is there a mid drive that is within my budget and meets my requirements?
The Greenway one thath a couple of forum members managed to snag from Ebay are exceptional value. maybe send the seller a message asking him when he'll have some more. Also, they have this one, which is a tiny bit cheaper:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREENWAY-electric-mountain-bike-PANASONIC-battery-LCD-PAS-system-MID-MOTOR-/122413634002?hash=item1c806bd1d2:g:DggAAOSww3tY3RJT

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Greenway one thath a couple of forum members managed to snag from Ebay are exceptional value. maybe send the seller a message asking him when he'll have some more. Also, they have this one, which is a tiny bit cheaper:
Do you know that motor is the same used on the Woosh Krieger and Santana CD?

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger