Another shiny new toy

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
I've just taken on a dealership for Inspired Cycle Engineering, got my self a shiny new Trike, an ICE Sprint
Recumbent Trikes and Recumbent Bikes - ICE - Sprint
Well technically it's a demonstrator, so,
IF ANY ONE WANTS TO TRY A TRIKE, ( NON ELECTRIC ) absolutely no intention to buy is needed just give me a ring, my shops in Kidderminster, with On bike only a couple of miles away you could combine both.
If you do come please leave your cheque book and all credit cards at home these really are delightful toys, so nice in fact that I don't want to fit a motor.
I've been told off for getting home late from work every day since I've had it, what's more impressive my boys actually want me to take them to school. Their mother drives them, I make them walk whilst I normally push my bike alongside as I cann't ride that slowly, with the trike climbing a hill at a 7 year olds pace is easy, I could go slower and not fall of, maybe they have decided that the really do like their mean old dad after all.
Heres a pic of my trike I've been filming trips to and from work not to mention my boys playing. but haven't edited them yet. Sorry I'm going to have to cut them down in size which means changing to a different computer, I don't know how to do it on this one.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I love my trike. I'm slow up hills as well, don't really have my recumbent muscles yet. I can just about get up a hill that my Wisper won't touch and my legs won't touch (on a Wisper, probably any regular bike, too). I'm talking 20% here. I can push the trike up at about 10 yards at a time but then need a few minutes rest. I've since fitted a new boom with a triple fitted. Only fitted it yesterday so I've not tried it yet. Was going to do it today after modifying my chain tube to follow the chain movements as the triple was traversed. Rain stopped play :mad: The lower ring should help.

I can crawl up hill at 5mph but the big bugger is prolly going to be 2.5mph. Hey! That's cool on a trike, can't fall off :D Little hills I regularly ride ont eh way to work and back I can do a bit faster now.

I thought about fitting a motor but decided that it defeated the object. I got the trike to make exercise fun. I've lost over a stone in weight since I had it. I just love the trike. I've done two 30 mile recreational rides on it and do 14 miles a day three days a week. It's such a joy.

My cruising speed has increased nicely over time but even pootling around at 10mph is cool. Oh, I did fit Shimano SPD SL clipless pedals, foot-suck is not something I'd like to experience. Mind you, before getting them I did have my foot drop to the deck a couple of times but it bounced back of the ground and I was back on the pedal quickly. Clipless just makes it so much more comfy.

I hope others take you up on your offer. Deffo leave money and anything that smells like money at home. I tried a trike, and I bought a trike - then and there :D

Vikki.

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
I also like and have trikes couple electric one standard powabyke one for my partner another made out of a two wheel powabyke with a tricycle conversion a pashley work trike no motor and a couple of two wheels in the front trikes which I built out of some old raleigh shoppers
loves them I do
fatts:D

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Here's a couple of piccies.
Vikkie just visited your other post, my questions answered here, first day out I took a spin without using the clips and had a foot bounce of over the speed bump, went straight back for my shoes, and fitted the toe clips for test riders.
I've been passed by a couple of roadies, just put both hands behind my head as they draw level and snore at them.

Trikes cann't climb.
I agree it's possible to climb steeper hills on a trike than you can on an upright, do you find that after a steep climb your less out of breath than you would be otherwise, I do, alright I am still going slower but it makes for a much more pleasant ride. Then on the downhills you get to scream with glee like a four year, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I know the boys aren't wearing helmets but they were being watched closely, the younger lad had his helmet strapped on got just out of reach and put it on the kerb side without stopping.

Attachments

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Congratulations, be warned though as trikes come in threes!

I love my sprint...

Even better with one of these...

If you fancy triking in company, then I will keep you posted...18 met at Rutland Water and 12 at Draycote, plus a weekend near Wem.

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Andrew.

I've yet to climb a hill with my new gears but with my previous chainring I ended up walking. Bar for one hill that was blisteringly steep, I got stubborn and I pushed that bugger till I made it. Ten yards at a time - with a minutes rest between. But, we're talking nasty steep. Sucking air like a Dyson :eek:

Regular hills that are ok then I'd go up in the granny gear at 5mph and be ok at the top. The trouble with a trike is you can't stand on the pedals and use your weight and you can't rock it from side to side like you can a DF.

I figure the new gears will let me get up Mr. Nasty Hill at 2mph without blowing a gasket or two :D

Best regards.

Vikki.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I love my trike too. I have a Velotechnik Scorpion and it's reasonably light and extremely comfortable but hard work up the hills as you all declare. I have a plan to try out an electric drive to see how good it is.
I bought mine for touring Europe with as you can load em up with all the camping gear and they remain stable.
They are very expensive but so much fun. The only downside is that on my ride to work I have to use the road as the cycle path is too narrow and overgrown and so have to keep stopping to let people by.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Piccy of your trike?

I'm getting interested in a visit to Europe (kind of edging toward Jersey as they speak english). Need to get a lot more miles in yet to build endurance. I can pootle all day but keeping a speed up above 11-12 mph is a task.

Vikki.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hmmmm! I could fit three hubs to one of those:D

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Old Timer, you'd be treating the tops of hills as jump ramps :eek:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I was very tempted to buy an ICE on Ebay a few months back but backed off as I'm not sure how a trike handles over really bad road surfaces and how do you get on in heavy traffic? This sort of put me off with the low ride height.....

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
[img ]http://<link to hosting web site address and picture>.jpg[ /img]

No spaces in the above....