Another small mod for the bafang BBSxx

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
In my other thread, I highlighted a small mod that might be useful for some BBSxx owners, to keep their drivetrain a little cleaner.

I discovered that a fair bit of road crap was being flung off the front tyre, and onto the chainring and chain.
Not good for a Bafang BBSxx :eek:

This was it:

2015-06-04-035.jpg

Now, in my attempt to help keep the drivetrain clean, I discovered a neat little product that actually extends the front mudguard.
This, in effect, allows the mudguard to catch more of the crud flung off the tyre, effectively stopping it from being spread all over the bottom bracket area.

This is the little chap:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-long-mudflap-prod25599/

Cost only £5.49 including delivery.

Here it is shown next to my SKS Beavertail XL mudguard. It basically slides over the end of the mudguard. Then you drill a 6mm hole through the mudguard. Finally, push a small fastener through the hole and screw the second piece together on the other side:

2015-06-07-040.jpg

And this is it fitted with fastener attached. Not yet on the bike:

2015-06-07-041.jpg

This is it fitted to the bike, to show the extra extension:

2015-06-07-042.jpg

Although both my mudguard and the extension are made by SKS, these should fit many plastic mudguards.

There are two sizes available. A 42-45mm version and a 50-60mm version.

Mine is the 50-60mm version and it fits perfectly. If your own mudguard doesn't measure within these specs, then you could always buy the one closest and shave a little plastic off here and there to fit.

Out on the muddy tracks today, the extension caught much more crud than using just the bare mudguard, and I arrived back home with a much cleaner drivetrain than usual.

Just a wipe down of the chain and the bike was put back in the shed for another day.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice find, something for me to think about once I get some SKS's for my Cube AMS which now has the BBS up and running.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Nice find, something for me to think about once I get some SKS's for my Cube AMS which now has the BBS up and running.
The SKS Beavertail XL's are actually a mighty fine set of mudguards.
Great width coverage on my 26" x 2.10 tyres.

SKS have addressed a few issues with the latest version.

The fixing brackets are now colour coded black. Originals were silver and looked a bit s**t.

They've also adding a clip on support for the downtube, so the rear mudguard is better supported.

I've heard some people complain that this clip can interfere with the front derailleur, but hey, we've got Bafang BBSxx's...... What front derailleur? :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
why not use a chainguard , that would keep the drive cleaner
That option did cross my mind, but I regularly ride through some tall grass fields, and think that there may be issues with grass getting jammed between the guard and chainring/chain.