Another super lazy ride around the locale

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
How long can this beautiful weather hold up in the east? Three local Quays= Morston quay, Blakeney quay( a spot of lunch from the National Trust cafe) and then Cley with a return to out van parked at a lovely peaceful ford for a well earned cuppa from the new stove:D All made much more enjoyable watching the non E bikes struggling along in the heat:D

Q. to those that know! how long would you say(in mileage terms or hrs) would a good non hall sensor front hub last if used with reasonable care?

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Q. to those that know! how long would you say(in mileage terms or hrs) would a good non hall sensor front hub last if used with reasonable care?

Dave
The Hall sensors don't usually limit the life. The limiter with most is the nylon internal gears, though if they are re-greased every 5000 miles or so they can last for a few years. It's impossible to define a generic period since the road conditions vary so much, a bike used in a flat area so running at near optimum efficiency most of it's life will run several times longer than one always in an area of steep and long hills which loads everything so heavily.

I do remember eZee being proud of a Rider model which was still running trouble free in Switzerland after 50,000 km, and that had a brush motor! Powabyke and Heinzmann have examples of bikes running for ten years and more with the occasional brush renewals. Brushless motors haven't been around long enough to beat those as yet.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
When I was living in France, I researched the various types of chainsaw I needed to deal with trees on my land.

The one thing that leapt out from all the advice I got from Americans and French experienced in these things was 'whatever you do don't buy anything with nylon gears' :eek:

Are nylon gears OK now or were these folk simply prejudiced?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are ok in our legal motors, for example the legal Heinzmann uses nylon but on the higher powered versions, steel gears are used instead.

They are really needed to produce the relative silence of our hub motors, as observed with Heinzmanns again which are very noisy in the steel geared versions.

And of course nylon needs little lubrication, in fact the ideal lubricant for nylon gears is water, but not too practical in an electric motor hub! :eek: