Any alternatives Cycle Analyst ?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Is there anything else other than cycle analyst that can read thet battery effectively ?

Although I wont be going miles its important i find something reliable as im not really able to cycle at all if the battery goes dead.

I did look at doing the simple fuel guage but the instructions are not simple to me, and obviously geared towards someone with far bigger grasp of electronics , when it comes to " filling in the blanks " , about things like microcontrollers.

thanks

tepol

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
My battery charger tells me when my battery is charged as a green light comes on. It knows that it is not charged and makes a decision to start charging. It then monitors something in order to decide when its charged. How often it does this and what it is monitoring I don't know. If you can find this out and the answer has nothing to do with it being plugged into the mains then it seems to me that you could build an on bike battery monitoring device. Although it may only be able to tell you that the battery is fully charged or not!

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Turnigy Wattage Meter

Hi,

Yes there is an alternative to Cycle Analyst. I recently installed Turnigy Power Meter on my Race bike, great tool and tell you pretty much everything you need, current Amp draw, peak Amp draw, current watts, peak watts, Wh meter used, Ah meter used etc etc. Bought it last year for £27 but installed just recently. I'm not sure if they are still avail but defo a good alternative at the reasonable price.

Best regards
Andrew
Oxygen Bicycles

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hi,

Yes there is an alternative to Cycle Analyst. I recently installed Turnigy Power Meter on my Race bike, great tool and tell you pretty much everything you need, current Amp draw, peak Amp draw, current watts, peak watts, Wh meter used, Ah meter used etc etc. Bought it last year for £27 but installed just recently. I'm not sure if they are still avail but defo a good alternative at the reasonable price.

Best regards
Andrew
Oxygen Bicycles
I heard there was a problem with display because it keeps cycling so its hard to read.

Somone in ES is trying to hack it but I dont know if anyones done it yet.

tepol

D

Deleted member 4366

As far as I know, only the Cycle Analyst is able to be fitted on the handlebars where you can see it. There's about 3 or 4 others that you fit between the controller and battery, which is where you can't see it in real-time: However, they can be modified by removing the shunt/s and mounting them remotely. This requires soldering skills and is a bit fiddly, but not beyond the realms of most DIYers. If you want to wait a couple of weeks I can do one for you at minimal cost. Let me know by personal message if you want that.
Alternatively, the simplest and easiest solution to your problem is to fit a voltmeter to your handlebars. A Voltmeter will show you the battery voltage, which decreases steadily as the battery discharges until it gets to about 31v, when the BMS or controller shuts it off. You'll also be able to see how the voltage sinks a bit (sags)when you go up hills. It won't take long before you associate the reading on the meter with your battery condition. Any voltmeter will do, but I'd prefer a digital one. You only have to join two wires to the battery terminals/connections - or splice into the battery leads. Here's a link to how I did my watt-meter and further down in it is a link to how to do the Turnigy one.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7340-remote-watt-meter-13-less.html?highlight=remote+watt+meter

Edit: Just spent some time looking at voltmeters. It seems that all the nice digital displays require an external power supply, so not so suitable, so unless you want to strap one of those little digital multimeters to your handlebars, you need a different solution

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
I heard there was a problem with display because it keeps cycling so its hard to read.

Somone in ES is trying to hack it but I dont know if anyones done it yet.

tepol
well yes it does keep cycling as it's very accurate so the figures change all the time but I have no problem with reading the figures. I did obviously a bit of DIY job by extending the wires, fitting it on the handlebar and soldering new connections but works very well for me. For the price I think it's a really good alternative. Obviously Cycle Analyst is better as it's ready made for the job but that's why it costs £130 :)

all the best

Andrew
Oxygen Bicycles

C

Cyclezee

The latest large screen version of the Cycle Analyst is now available from stock. The model I have is only compatible with eZee bikes and kits.

If you are interested, send me a PM.
CA-LDPS.jpg

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

It gives all the following

The Cycle Analyst Homepage - Ebike Amp-Hour and Watt Meter

They sell a 40 amp Infineion controller 36 volt 48 volt auto detect or a resistor change allows up to 100 volt

The Cycle Analyst Homepage - Ebike Amp-Hour and Watt Meter

It plugs in and is a full programing interface you name it it will do

you don't need a speed o magnet with the infinion controller it used it uses the hall sensor signal to count the RPM then you input the wheel diameter

They work as a pair

cost about £300 the pair including shipping and Vat when it arrives in UK

all you will ever need for a great eBike

Frank

Last edited: