Any BBS02 owners on here? What max amps you running?

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
So I have a BBS02 750w. Got the programming cable to look at the settings and it came set to 22amps max current.
Just wondering what others are running? Some people seem to go 25amps and some stick to 18 or 20
I'm on 52v. Great performance so far. Just wondering if going to 25 would make any noticeable difference?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm on 25 amps at mo. Have tried lower values, but I notice the drop in performance. Not to say you will notice much difference between 22 and 25 though.

Depends on how the bike is used I suppose. I like the extra torque for powering over rough and undulating ground.

Reactions: djneils98

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Mine on 25 amps gets too warm when its a hot day so summer its 20 amps only and winter 24 amps
Had this problem since swapped to a 19.2 ah battery with 2700 cells the extra range capacity and lack of sag seem to have created more unwanted heat [and a huge grin but a sore saddle]

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Mine on 25 amps gets too warm when its a hot day so summer its 20 amps only and winter 24 amps
Had this problem since swapped to a 19.2 ah battery with 2700 cells the extra range capacity and lack of sag seem to have created more unwanted heat [and a huge grin but a sore saddle]
how warm is too warm?
- mine feels slightly warm at the end of my typical ride but definitely not hot
what difference do you notice between 20 and 24??

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The drive train likes 20 amps its less harsh , i find 42t front cog /gear and 44 t 11t rear this has about 10% less top end yes you notice but change your style accordingly. Ride of 35+ off road miles on high assist 7 - 9 is about right [very warm to the touch on 20 amps on 24 hot to the touch ]
The throttle is set as level 7 pas in the settings on level 9 it got too hot and not used often

On a older 8 fun version motor with the original mosfets got very hot which resulted in a 21 error when the 5v shut off once but ok after a cool down high amps low speed are not a good mixture, so that is 18 amps max at 48v now with the upgraded controller this runs warm all the time but still going well
Your folder with small wheels might suit a larger chain wheel 48/52 t to increase your top end

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
The drive train likes 20 amps its less harsh , i find 42t front cog /gear and 44 t 11t rear this has about 10% less top end yes you notice but change your style accordingly. Ride of 35+ off road miles on high assist 7 - 9 is about right [very warm to the touch on 20 amps on 24 hot to the touch ]
The throttle is set as level 7 pas in the settings on level 9 it got too hot and not used often

On a older 8 fun version motor with the original mosfets got very hot which resulted in a 21 error when the 5v shut off once but ok after a cool down high amps low speed are not a good mixture, so that is 18 amps max at 48v now with the upgraded controller this runs warm all the time but still going well
Your folder with small wheels might suit a larger chain wheel 48/52 t to increase your top end
thanks - yes I have a 52T chainwheel on it and 11T smallest rear cog - currently gets up to an indicated 30mph (need to verify actual speed with GPS)
I think the most the display says it's putting out is 1200 watts or just under

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Thats about maxed out try running a lower power level if you think you can achieve and keep your cruising speed but generate less heat

Last edited:

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Thats about maxed out try running a lower power level if you think you can achieve and keep your cruising speed but generate less heat
Thanks. I think I might keep it on the 22amps it came with from Eclipse then. It’s warm but mildly after my usual run so I think it’s coping. I try to use the gears and keep the cadence up.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not what power you use, but how you use it. If you pedal too slowly, your motor will burn with 10 amps. The higher your voltage, the faster you need to pedal to keep the motor cool. I would say that 52v and 25A is dodgy. Even the BBSHD can blow mosfets at 52v and 25A, and it's a bigger and more robust motor.

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
It's not what power you use, but how you use it. If you pedal too slowly, your motor will burn with 10 amps. The higher your voltage, the faster you need to pedal to keep the motor cool. I would say that 52v and 25A is dodgy. Even the BBSHD can blow mosfets at 52v and 25A, and it's a bigger and more robust motor.
I've spoken to this guy in America who has a YouTube channel about his E-bike conversions and he converts a lot of bikes to BBS02 and 52v packs. He says all his are set to 25amps and he hasn't had any issues.
I think I'm going to leave it on 22 amps as it came from Eclipse - it's plenty powerful enough. I changed the rear freewheel out yesterday and it can hit an indicted 30mph now on the 11T cog.
I do wish I had bough a smaller battery though so if anyone is interested in a 3 week old 52v 14.5ah battery then message me