Any bike for a 18 mile commute each way

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
So it seems trying to choose an ebike for more than 2 disciplines is tricky. Previously I was looking at a FS mountain bike for 36mile round trip on road and fun at the weekend. Well thanks to all the input on the forum I think I have changed my mind again. My thoughts are either buy a non assists FS mountain bike second hand or in the sales and get an ebike for commuting but spend as little as possible on the ebike and will consider rear hub drive as all I need it to do it get me to work and back on one charge and keep within about £3000 budget for both. So the search for an ebike continues! Any suggestions welcomed.

Reactions: LeighPing

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Have you thought about the following for the commuting option. Either convert an existing bike (if you have one) or buy a second hand bike. Then buy one of the conversion kits and that's the commuting sorted. That should leave your with still a large chunk of your £3k budget for the fun bike on the weekends.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Road style bike for commute Woosh Karoo about as light as you will get for the money with 60 -85 miles range.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Have you thought about the following for the commuting option. Either convert an existing bike (if you have one) or buy a second hand bike. Then buy one of the conversion kits and that's the commuting sorted. That should leave your with still a large chunk of your £3k budget for the fun bike on the weekends.
What is the cost of labour roughly to covert and the cost of conversion kits?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
So it seems trying to choose an ebike for more than 2 disciplines is tricky. Previously I was looking at a FS mountain bike for 36mile round trip on road and fun at the weekend. Well thanks to all the input on the forum I think I have changed my mind again. My thoughts are either buy a non assists FS mountain bike second hand or in the sales and get an ebike for commuting but spend as little as possible on the ebike and will consider rear hub drive as all I need it to do it get me to work and back on one charge and keep within about £3000 budget for both. So the search for an ebike continues! Any suggestions welcomed.
There are few members using hub drive Oxygen bikes for similar commutes with good results. Check out their forum.

A few essentials that will make long distance commute more comfortable. Quality suspension seatpost eg Suntour NCX, thudbuster, bodyfloat. Full length mudguards, rack, quality pannier bags, bike powered lights and kick stand.

• Informative
Reactions: Topdog206

Topdog206

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2018
After lots of reading in here I bought the Oxygen S Cross MTB 13ah battery done 300 miles on it now my commute is 23miles each way end up with 40% charge left each way, I can't fault it and it feels like it will last. like Trevor says I've bought the suntour suspension seat post and that had made the ride perfect feels like a full suspension bike.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
After lots of reading in here I bought the Oxygen S Cross MTB 13ah battery done 300 miles on it now my commute is 23miles each way end up with 40% charge left each way, I can't fault it and it feels like it will last. like Trevor says I've bought the suntour suspension seat post and that had made the ride perfect feels like a full suspension bike.
So do you charge it at work and when you get home?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So their website says:
If you live in a hilly area AND weigh more than 15 stone, the Big Bear is better suited.
You asked about a commute bike , I gave an example.
other factors need to be given for us to give suitable suggestions.
Eddie did a review a 2 - 3 tears ago and the Karoo performed quite well I believe on hilly terrain.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
What is the cost of labour roughly to covert and the cost of conversion kits?
Lots of people buy the kits and do the conversions themselves. I've not done this myself though, but it does not seem all that difficult to do. Your best bet if you are interested in this option is to ask questions in the Electric Bike Conversion Kit section of this forum. There are some extremely sharp people who will be able to answer all your questions about kits posting in there.

• Useful

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
If you are still looking for a commuter bike, then my Trek Super Commuter 9+ will fit your requirements very well.

Have a look in the classifieds

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
If you are still looking for a commuter bike, then my Trek Super Commuter 9+ will fit your requirements very well.

Have a look in the classifieds
Thanks for heads up but got a cube reaction 500 sl. How comes your selling it?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
About 8900€ will get you a Steps powered Azub Ti-Fly fully suspended trike with all the useful options. :)