Any ideas? Thanks in advance

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Hello, hope everyone is well. I was wondering if anyone knows what a blinking red light at number 2 might indicate. The bike powers up, shows full power on the power indicator, then on the speed settings 0 -3 the number 2 blinks and there is no pedal assist. Battery charges just fine. Had the bike from new, stored in the shed, battery stored in the house, only used a handful of times. I'm aware although the shed is dry, temps can cause condensation. I bring the bike in the house for about a week before use, close by a radiator. It's only a cheap starter ebike, but would like to try and repair it. Its a cross highwayman. Cant find the manual, and online isnt proving fruitful, so I have no idea what the blinking light is telling me. Any ideas, thanks in advance.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Post a couple of photos including one of the display; that will help people know exactly what parts it has and so what the error display might mean.

Reactions: bosco

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024

This is the unit, but the power lights are full red and the number 2 is blinking red. This not the actual unit but it's the same (I'm at work) when I press the plus and minus buttons nothing happens. I've checked the sensor led and that strobes a normal when the pedals turn. Hope this helps.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The blinking light means that there's an error in your system, but without the manual it impossible to say what it is. The normal ones are:
Brake switch stuck. Disconnect the brakes to see if it goes away.
  • Throttle non-zero at startup. Disconnect it to see if itgoes away.
  • Hall sensor error caused by motor cable connection error or damage to the motor cable. Note that the main connector near the motor needs to be all the way in to the line, not just in tight.
  • Communication error - can have any cause, where something on the 5v line is giving a problem
  • Motor phase wire not connected - same as second one above.
  • Battery voltage too low. Check the battery with a meter to be sure.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Brake switch stuck. Disconnect the brakes to see if it goes away.
Clarification, just in case OP isn't quite sure.
That is: disconnect the electric wire from the brake to the controller.
No need to change any mechanical/hydraulic aspects of the brake.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Taken the wire wrap off and there
Are no connectors to undo, just straight wires, there is the second wire going to the break levers, but I don't want to yank on them just in case I break something. Can anyone confirm they would disconnect from the lever at the top?

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Also I'd thought I should add that the bike display starts up normally with no error, then as soon as the bike is moved it errors. Hopefully that detail may narrow the error down.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They won’t disconnect from the top.

There may be a cable connector lower down the cable going into the controller.

If you are unlucky, the brake switches will be hard wired into the controller, making it even more difficult to fault find.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
I think they are, I've followed those cables until the disapears into the frame and back out. There is a connector for the motor on the front wheel, and when I disconnect that, the bike starts as normal then errors when moved.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
I could add inline connectors to each of the items I need to diagnose, at the same time futureproofing. Is there a standard amount of pins for each item?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They can either be 2 or 3 wires. There is probably already a connector somewhere, it’s just that you haven’t found it yet.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
They can either be 2 or 3 wires. There is probably already a connector somewhere, it’s just that you haven’t found it yet.
I'll keep looking, but unless it's in the frame I don't think so. Are they normally soldered in the control box? Maybe I can disconnect from there or is that a sealed unit?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Yes you can do that. There is a mechanical switch under the cover.

Last edited:

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Also I managed to find the bikes user manual and nowhere does it tell me what the led indicators mean if there is an issue.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Also I managed to find the bikes user manual and nowhere does it tell me what the led indicators mean if there is an issue.
If the brakes don't have a connector on the handlebars, it's at the controller end of the wire. Do not touch the switches on the levers.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
If the brakes don't have a connector on the handlebars, it's at the controller end of the wire. Do not touch the switches on the levers.
I'll have a look tomorrow, there is some wrap at that end, but I had a good feel and could not detect any connectors. I'll remove the wrap just in case the connectors are there.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'll have a look tomorrow, there is some wrap at that end, but I had a good feel and could not detect any connectors. I'll remove the wrap just in case the connectors are there.
You can't miss the connectors. They won't be hidden inside shrink-wrap.

If your switches are like in the photo in post #16, the lever needs to hold them down at rest. If they're up when you switch on the controller, you'll get an error code, which seems to be 0-2 from your description, so your fault probably isn't the brakes; however, you need to disconnect everything from the controller to find out what's causing the error, so pull it out, disconnect the brakes, pedal sensor, motor halls, and throttle, then plug them in one at a time to test which one gives the error, if any.

Reactions: Tony1951 and bosco