any impressions on the Carrera Crossfuse (or the Bosch Active Line Plus)?

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
will probably put a review up in couple of weeks or so of use but it sure does roll a lot better than the big tires on my Krieger, do miss the throttle for pulling away at traffic lights tho

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I look forward to reading your review of the Crossfuse. Would you compare the two bikes?

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
probably wouldnt compare them too much, theyre totally different bikes at totally different price points however my krieger has been a great warhorse over the last 2 years & 4 months/3500 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
one thing i will say about the bosch drive units/torque sensors is that you cant get away with being lazy all the time due to lack of throttle and having to put force through the pedals to make the motor work with you.

shes now wearing my ncx seat post and the rear rack i took from the Krieger and modified to fit.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo and Woosh

Ste.Higgi

Just Joined
Jan 26, 2018
Cheadle Hulme
I had a ride on a crossfuse today and for my first ride on a pedelec I was underwhelmed!
I am considering a pedelec for my 20 round trip commute into Manchester as I get rather tired as the week goes by and was considering a bit of pedal assist. After today's ride I think I will stick to getting a little tired.
Don't know really I was expecting a little more? When you consider effectively the Cross fuse is little more than a £300 base bike which means £1300 for a battery and motor me thinks that someone is making a killing on these bikes somewhere? Bike should be around the £1000 mark and then may consider one. I am going to try the the Yamaha motor on a Haibike next week to see if it offers a little more thrill for your buck? I don't expect to be over impressed though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I had a ride on a crossfuse today and for my first ride on a pedelec I was underwhelmed!
I am considering a pedelec for my 20 round trip commute into Manchester as I get rather tired as the week goes by and was considering a bit of pedal assist. After today's ride I think I will stick to getting a little tired.
Don't know really I was expecting a little more? When you consider effectively the Cross fuse is little more than a £300 base bike which means £1300 for a battery and motor me thinks that someone is making a killing on these bikes somewhere? Bike should be around the £1000 mark and then may consider one. I am going to try the the Yamaha motor on a Haibike next week to see if it offers a little more thrill for your buck? I don't expect to be over impressed though.
haibike bosch motor ;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Bosch motor on the Carrera is Bosch's lower power one.

Worth trying the Haibike/Yamaha, you should notice a difference.

A Bosch bike with one of their small front ring motors will have about the same amount of poke as a Yamaha bike.

Having said that, no legal ebike is a ball of fire so it may be ebikes are not for you - unless you want to build an illegal one.

You are right about the pricing, a Bosch motor does add more than £1,000 to the cost of the bike.

At one time a Yamaha motor on an equivalent bike was a bit cheaper.

I'm not sure about 'making a killing'.

Bike shops work on a gross margin of 30-40%, which sounds good, but no bike shop makes a lot of money.

I think Halfords' last financial results were very underwhelming, although their buisness is, as you know, about more than just bikes.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Assuming you tried all the different power levels, perhaps you were expecting too much.
A lot of people look a our choice of transport with preconceptions, expecting electric motorbikes only to be disappointed when they need to pedel.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
something tells me you wont like any road legal ebike, they will all only assist you to 15.5mph and most use torque sensors now so you have to put the effort in to get the power out.

ps. that 400w bosch battery is £500+ alone

Mike Stokes

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2017
Pembrokeshire
its been out for a little while now but theres no halfords within miles of me that has stock to test ride, the new bosch motor really intrigues me. rest of the bike is decent spec for the money but its motor im really after impressions of.
I bought Crossfuse in December and have just had Halfords 6 week check up yesterday and mudguards fitted. Very pleased with the Bosch Active + motor, its silent in operation, works well in its 4 power modes. I had to change the saddle for my better comfort, and look forward to some better weather to get out more often. Can't complain about my local Halfords in Haverfordwest, they couldn't have been more helpful.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I bought Crossfuse in December and have just had Halfords 6 week check up yesterday and mudguards fitted. Very pleased with the Bosch Active + motor, its silent in operation, works well in its 4 power modes. I had to change the saddle for my better comfort, and look forward to some better weather to get out more often. Can't complain about my local Halfords in Haverfordwest, they couldn't have been more helpful.
Hi Mike,
What is the ALP motor like to pedal above the 15MPH cutoff
Does it de-couple completely without the drag of the transmission being noticeable

Mike Stokes

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2017
Pembrokeshire
Hi Mike,
What is the ALP motor like to pedal above the 15MPH cutoff
Does it de-couple completely without the drag of the transmission being noticeable
There is no drag at all above 15.5mph. It freewheels easily and I cycle easily at more than 15.5mph. Going down any hill I find myself freewheeling at 30mph and the bike feels solid, not scary at that speed. Its very hilly around here but the other day i did a round trip of 15miles in 1 hour, no problem.
Bearing in mind I'm a 72 y.o. and not super fit, I'm very pleased with it.

Reactions: Danidl and E-Wheels

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Been there a few times recently :) - but bought my bike elsewhere. Yes, the staff I dealt with were friendly and helpful.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
got my crossfuse 3 weeks or so ago, i too swiftly replaced the saddle lol, my arse needs comfort! but its a lovely ride and super quiet, also fitted NCX seat post and rear rack.

Reactions: oyster

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
Ordered one for my wife today, she took it for a brief test in the car park and it seemed very quiet compared to my CX based bike and quite smooth.

We had been looking at a Cube but none of the bike shops we visited seemed that interested in selling one. As she has shortish legs we really wanted to try before we bought.

I'll post an update after a few rides.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Any more feedback from any source, they've been around for a while now but there's a lack of reviews and I was hoping to see how the motors been going.
I'm not a fan of the style, (preferring a more trail orientated bike) but a combination of the Cube I have on order (same motor) initialy expected January and now the mid March delivery has slipped by and still no due date.
Add to this Easter sale 20% off at halfords plus 10% British cycling and a crossfuse could be brought for £1157.
I think it's time to visit Halfords whilst wearing my practical glasses rather than my rose tinted specs ;)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i had a llook at crossfuse last week nice looking bike.
but I prefer the look of cube acid.
where is the 20% of crossfuse listed? was in Halfords yesterday did not notice any reductions on there ebikes.

they do not carry the crossfuse

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Any more feedback from any source, they've been around for a while now but there's a lack of reviews and I was hoping to see how the motors been going.
I'm not a fan of the style, (preferring a more trail orientated bike) but a combination of the Cube I have on order (same motor) initialy expected January and now the mid March delivery has slipped by and still no due date.
Add to this Easter sale 20% off at halfords plus 10% British cycling and a crossfuse could be brought for £1157.
I think it's time to visit Halfords whilst wearing my practical glasses rather than my rose tinted specs ;)
If you combined it with ordering through topcashback site (5%) last night, and BC membership (plus the 20% offer) it would of come in sub £1100 - great deal

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I do love a bargain and I was sorely tempted but if I'd have brought one, I know how dissapointed I'd be when the cube I'm after finaly arrives on the market, plus I've got all the folding bear tokens for the Cube tucked away in a sock draw