Any other ideas...

Stuzza

Just Joined
May 14, 2016
Reading
Hi all,

I'm looking to getting back into a bit of cycling and I have about a 10 mile daily commute each way which u wouldn't mind riding , the only problem is it's got a big hill at the end of it which I wouldn't currently get up and / or would end up extremely sweaty before work.

A bit about me - I'm 6'1", 17 stone ish and currently relatively unfit. I'd like to buy the bike through my bikes to work scheme if I can, which has a limit of £1,000.

As a result of the above I think that I've ended up looking at the Woosh Big Bear - I was just wondering whether anyone had any views on other bikes I should be considering and / or on the suitability of the Big Bear.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum Stuart.
I would have made the same recommendation.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
There are loads to choose from, all with differences that can help or hinder your ambitions. Getting the wrong bike is easy and could end your return to fitness straight away. Take the time to visit somewhere with a range of bikes to try and you'll "find the one".

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I think most bike to work scheme limits are geared to the price once the VAT etc has been taken off so a bike with a "headline" retail price over £1000 might still be available to you if you do want to shop up the range a bit. A bike with a retail price tag of £1.5K could be available for more like £900.

Worth checking how your own scheme works (one of the few downsides of self-employment, no such scheme for me!).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Worth checking how your own scheme works (one of the few downsides of self-employment, no such scheme for me!).
nothing stops you to buy a bike for yourself under the scheme with yourself as administrator.
You save about 45% of the price of the bike.