Help! Any recent experience with Kalkhoff?

OlivierW11

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Hi everyone, thinking of replacing my trusted specialized city (13 years old.... still looking very good, it's not her it's me....) by an ebike to avoid getting back in the tube when we finally get back to work. I have my eyes on a Kalkhoff Endeavour 7B Advance, with the new gen Bosch CX. I am tall and big (2m and 120kg... hopefully going down soon....)
I read quite a bit about the bike and tried one at Velorution (London dealer chain).
I've read people having had quite a few issues in the past that seem to be linked to a specific powertrain. Has anyone had recent experiences with this brand, its aftercare if problems do occur, and with the powertrain?
Or have they corrected their issues.
Also it's between this Kalkhoff and a R&M Charger 3, so has anyone having any strong opinion for or against one or the other model?
Or.... would you advise me to look at other brands too? Trek Verve+? Moustache Saturday 28?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Olivier

ElectricJoe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2020
Friends of mine have a Saturday (One each) and love them, had them fir three years and no issues.
They have the step through type with swept back handles which I suppose you won't be getting but anyway on that sample of two reliability is good.

Reactions: OlivierW11

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Plus we have one with the ill regarded Impluse 2 crank drive, not one of the Bosch range.
Had it from new May 2016, it is the step through Agattu, with Gates belt and Nexus 8 gearing.
They are certainly a nicely built bike using what appear as quality cycling components.
I read the specific motor is a disaster, but nothing has yet confirmed anything, motor or otherwise, has not been 100% reliable with ours.
Probably saying so will be all that is needed for things to go wrong, hope not. The bike is always used as intended, a touring bike, "plodder", not as a workout device, and with a significant "engineering understanding".

Reactions: OlivierW11

Richard Newton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2021
Plus we have one with the ill regarded Impluse 2 crank drive, not one of the Bosch range.
Had it from new May 2016, it is the step through Agattu, with Gates belt and Nexus 8 gearing.
They are certainly a nicely built bike using what appear as quality cycling components.
I read the specific motor is a disaster, but nothing has yet confirmed anything, motor or otherwise, has not been 100% reliable with ours.
Probably saying so will be all that is needed for things to go wrong, hope not. The bike is always used as intended, a touring bike, "plodder", not as a workout device, and with a significant "engineering understanding".
Hello Olivier
I've just bought the exact same bike with belt drive and NuVinci gear hub. Mine is from David Mellor cycles in Shrewsbury. David speaks highly of the "marque" and is more than confident of being able to honour any claims on the warranty. He is a main supplier in the area of Kalkhoff bikes. The quality of the bike is not in question it is built of top quality parts , hence the price, and well put together. It is typical of German engineering. If anything it's over engineered. I don't know of the drive train you mentioned but the more modern Kalkhoff e bikes are Bosch powered and that name is top of the list along with Yamaha. Providing the supplier you use is not a cowboy (and there are a few about) you should have little in the way of problems. Just ensure the supplier is a main stream Kalkhoff agent and not just a retailer. If you should need parts a main stream supplier will be able to deliver and fit them professionally.
Hope this helps.
RichardN