Any thoughts about brompton nano conversion.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
I have a GSM crank drive conversion on my normal-sized bike, but it's a bit too heavy and cumbersome to load into the caravan when we go away. I'm toying with the idea of fitting a conversion to my elderly Brompton L5. The one thing that's putting me off is a vague recollection from somewhere that the nano conversion isn't well built, and prone to early life failures.

If you have recent experience of the brompton nano conversion perhaps you could share your experience of build quality, reliability and rideability.

Thanks

Mike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how about transferring the GSM to your Brompton? and put the battery in the front bag?

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
how about transferring the GSM to your Brompton? and put the battery in the front bag?
Now there's an idea - Lots of things to check for compatibility. Has anyone done this?

I do like the idea of the Bosch 4AH battery, but that could be a later change (I've already got a Bosch battery lawnmower that uses one, so I'd only need a mounting plate).

Mike

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Now there's an idea - Lots of things to check for compatibility. Has anyone done this?

I do like the idea of the Bosch 4AH battery, but that could be a later change (I've already got a Bosch battery lawnmower that uses one, so I'd only need a mounting plate).

Mike
Nah - just had a look & it wouldn't work. The motor would probably fit, but then the bike wouldn't fold, which rather defeats the whole idea of the brompton.

Mike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It won't fold as small as with a hub motor. The front fold will still work, it is still pretty small when folded that way.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there are lots of obstacles to converting a Brompton with a front motor wheel. The simplest solution is to replace the front fork and use a standard 100mm wide motor, 10mm axle.
The Bromton fork has 75mm drop out and 8mm axle.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had a Nano until a year or so ago - it was my first ebike.

The conversion is neat - mine was done by Nano - and reliable during my moderate use.

Battery connection via copper strips on the luggage block works a treat.

It's not the most powerful, although the later ones may have more grunt.

The bike folds as normal, although the extra weight is noticeable and means it's really only suitable for lifting in and out of the back of the car.

The conversion is doable diy, although some filing of the dropouts is required, so it's not for a novice.

The components are fairly basic and quite dear at Nano prices.

I suspect an experienced converter could buy the same bits quite a bit cheaper from the likes of BMS and other Chinese suppliers.

I sold my Nano to a solicitor whose wife uses it for her short commute.

Via the local bike shop, I heard he is pleased with it although he did have a minor electrical problem.

Reactions: trex

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Hmm - DIY looks an interesting alternative. I did look at the Q85 on BMSbattery.com, but the postage is more than the motor. Think I'll look harder - any other suppliers worth a look?

• Informative
Reactions: Kinninvie
D

Deleted member 4366

You look at a very cheap motor, then discount it because the postage is too much? Surely it's the total cost that matters?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Fair comment, but over £100 to post a wheel seems just plain ridiculous.
Two things here. Firstly BMSbattery prices are about 20% greater if one's not logged into the website via a username. Secondly only the built wheels, not the motors, cost £100 to send. I bought a wheel from a Chinese manufacturer and every single spoke was loose. That's not a wheelbuild. Getting a hub motor on its own sent without a wheel costs a great deal less.