Any thoughts on Electric Transport Shop Sparticle conversion?

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
My wife has been using a Electric Wheel Comp Nano Brompton for a year or so, and is very happy with the conversion, but now I am considering converting her Gary Fisher MTB using the ETC folk, but getting a reply from them seems impossible....

Does anybody know if they are still functioning?

As the The Electric Transport shop is local to us in N London, I was considering the SB motored V3 Sparticle conversion for £650 (26" wheel), and am wondering if others have used this conversion........

Electric Bike Sales - Shop Online for Electric Bikes, Electric Vehicles and Cycle Accessories - Sparticle 250 Watt Conversion Kit V.3.

Is this SB motor/ Battery combo any different to the 8Fun one advertised for £415?
Or to the Sunlova one for a similar price?

The Gary Fisher we bought for £80 from an end of season Neilson windsurfing biking holiday sell off....they sell for 10% of the purchase price, and even transport it back to Gatwick for you, which is amazing....it needed tyres, pannier rack, mudguards etc, but was a bargain for a top dollar bike

As the Gary Fisher has combined Shimano LX gear/brake levers, using any brake cut out would be a problem, and probably not necessary.............any thoughts folks?

Regards to all for an amazing website, and for some very intelligent comment

Barry C.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
thanks a lot Allen, that link seems to work..........I just don't know how you did it..

at this stage in my decision making of a kit for the Gary Fisher, I can see why other folk are having sleepless nights in their choice of kits....

the most helpful person so far is Bob at Juicy bikes who has a new kit at £550, but it would be great to now if this differs from the 8Fun kit, or the Sunlova kit (which seems to be getting a bit of a bad press at the moment), or the Sparticle V3 Electric Transport Shop hub kit

are all the 'Suzi' Barfang motors similar for a 15 mph UK installation, and would I notice much difference from the Tongxin fitted in the Brompton from a noise and free wheel perspective.....????
is there a weight penalty also?

the Brompton can really be ridden without battery power, and other than the 2kg weight penalty (which one quickly gets used to), it feels fine

the bike is really for my wife, as I am still 'unpowered' at my 3 score and 10....and keeping up with her on the Brompton is a real challenge, but if you want a proper sweaty workout, this is the way to go!

Cheers

Barry C.