Any tips for buying on ebay?

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
I guess viewing the bike first is best
Do you pay in cash or paypal?
Best to get receipt from original purchase, will be covered under warranty if Bosch?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's very unlikely that any warranty would be transferable. If you're going to collect the bike, you check it out first, then pay. It's sold as described, so you only have a claim if it doesn't match the description, but that's going to be very tricky to claim if you collected the bike and saw it before you paid. Claims would have to go through the small claims court, not Ebay. Ebay and Paypal only cover you for stuff you have delivered.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
If 2nd hand, cash on collection, inspect it carefully to make sure it is as described. Always make sure the charger and keys are with it as there are a lot of stolen bikes for sale.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The best way is try it before you buy it ,so cash on collection take a test ride if your not happy walk away,
think the same way as buying a second hand car from a private seller

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
thats a good idea, but im not sure someone would be happy me riding around on their bike...

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
thats a good idea, but im not sure someone would be happy me riding around on their bike...
No different to buying a motorbike from a private seller. Take someone with you who holds the cash while you test ride it..... Simples

GooserName

Banned
Nov 2, 2020
Yeah I am also looking into the same direction. For the U.S. is very convenient. I would suggest you buy it from the shop, not a person, as at least they must provide a warranty. Secondly, check the reviews, especially bad reviews.

Lucylettuce

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2020
I looked on eBay fora while but a lot of sellers hadn't looked after batteries properly,and expected to sell at not much less than a new bike.As the cost of a new battery is significant,I factored in the potential cost of replacement batteries when considering what to offer. In the end I bought a new bike,after looking for a few months on eBay and gumtree.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are some bargains around. I know someone that just got a used Oxygen S-cross with a duff battery for £250 from an online ad.

As it happens, this person contacted Oxygen to ask about battery prices and it turns out that they're selling off their new batteries cheaply at the moment because they have a surplus, so contact SYEBC if you want one.

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
I send my phone number via ebay messages by breaking it up within the message.

Basically if you want something cheap on ebay you do a search, save the search. Then each time they find an item which meets your criteria (which can include maximum price, distance from your house etc etc) they will email you. If it's what I want I set a maximum price and bid via a bid sniper site. Which will bid for you at a set time before the end of the auction. I use gixen and they bid 6 and 8 seconds before the auction ends. This way you don't get involved or create a bidding war.
I have two Santos travelmasters (Rohloff equipped) both would cost me new £3600 plus and I paid £1200 for each. In fact I won one for £720 but the seller made up some excuse for not giving it me.
You have to be prepared to wait though if you want it cheap

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
I guess viewing the bike first is best
Do you pay in cash or paypal?
Best to get receipt from original purchase, will be covered under warranty if Bosch?
I would never except PayPal if someone is collecting. They can collect go home with your bike, put a claim into ebay that you never gave it to them and get there money back.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
That's a Kalkhof Impulse motor. Don't touch at any price.
Also.... Had to laugh at description "Only used abroad so battery still has plenty of life":oops::eek:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
You will have to explain that. I have had 5,000 miles out of my kalkhoff pro connect.
The battery appears to be the same as mine. Almost worth buying for the battery
Google "kalkhoff impulse motor problems"

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You will have to explain that. I have had 5,000 miles out of my kalkhoff pro connect.
The battery appears to be the same as mine. Almost worth buying for the battery
It was discontinued because of motor problems. Spares are difficult to get and you won't get much help from dealers. Exchange motors are available from Germany at around £500 to £600, but you have to take your old one out and install the new one yourself. They have a 12 months guarantee, soon after which you'll need a new one. Mean time to failure is about 1750 miles. If you got more, you stole the luck from those that needed three new motors in the first year.