Any Woosh Gran Camino owners out there?

Johnorable

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2021
Hey! I've almost fully decided on getting the Gran Camino from woosh, but did have a couple of questions, if any can help?

Firstly, I was wondering whether it's worth getting a local bike shop to build up the bike (as offered on Woosh's site, for an additional fee) or whether it's simple/doable enough for someone who's got next to no experience with building/maintaining bikes?

Secondly, are cadence sensors much better/worse than torque sensors? While I'm aware of the many strengths the Camino has over the lacklustre Carrera crossfire, one thing I did appreciate was the torque sensor, as I want to feel as if the bike is matching my effort in a sense, rather than me just ghost pedalling and the bike doing all the work. Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of this since I haven't yet had the chance to try out a bike with a cadence sensor, only those with torque sensors thus far.

Finally, are there any quirks/things I should know about the bike before buying?

Thanks for reading :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
whether it's simple/doable enough for someone who's got next to no experience with building/maintaining bikes?
it's always useful to know your friendly local bike shop.
The pedals and handlebars are detached from the bike before dispatch, otherwise the bike is fully built. All you have to do is to refit pedals and handlebars.
Refitting the handlebars is not difficult, just 4 allen bolts.
Refitting the pedals is also quite straightforward.
There is very little maintenance to do beside keeping the bike dry and clean. The brakes are self adjusting and the pads will do 2,000 miles.
The chain is lubricated for a year or more.
The main thing is to keep the tyres well inflated. I would recommend getting an electric tyre inflator. You set the air pressure to 45PSI and squeeze the trigger once a week.

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
All very well and good even if to me that maintenance schedule sounds to be on the light side, but if a Gran Camino has not been pre ordered, is it likely that one would be available anytime soon or even this year?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Gran-Camino arrives in July but we'll need a couple of weeks to clear the backlog so if you reserve one now, delivery would be beginning of August.

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
it's always useful to know your friendly local bike shop.
The pedals and handlebars are detached from the bike before dispatch, otherwise the bike is fully built. All you have to do is to refit pedals and handlebars.
Refitting the handlebars is not difficult, just 4 allen bolts.
Refitting the pedals is also quite straightforward.
There is very little maintenance to do beside keeping the bike dry and clean. The brakes are self adjusting and the pads will do 2,000 miles.
The chain is lubricated for a year or more.
The main thing is to keep the tyres well inflated. I would recommend getting an electric tyre inflator. You set the air pressure to 45PSI and squeeze the trigger once a week.
Alright, thank you for the help!

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
All very well and good even if to me that maintenance schedule sounds to be on the light side, but if a Gran Camino has not been pre ordered, is it likely that one would be available anytime soon or even this year?
Now that is good news!

Lancs Lad

Sep 23, 2021
Would be interested to hear a review from any actual owners. Maybe the original poster bought one?

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
Due to receive a Gran Camino from Woosh this week. I sold my Carrera Crossfire ebike a couple of months ago, while it was in good condition and got a great price.
Looking forward to riding my new bike and hoping I made the right decision. Loads of research has lead me to this choice from Woosh.
There is a total lack of reviews for the Gran Camino, so I will be back with a practical review as soon as possible

Reactions: Lancs Lad and sjpt

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
I have a Woosh Rio MTB since July 21 with 1500 miles under its belt and it has been superb! The gran camino appears to have a similar spec albeit with a 20a controller vs 17a so you should have plenty of grunt. Enjoy!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All Woosh bikes will be more reliable then the Crossfire, plus the CS will be 10 x better.

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
Would be interested to hear a review from any actual owners. Maybe the original poster bought one?
Afraid I cancelled my reservation a few months after making it (financial reasons), looking at getting one via cycle to work now though!

Reactions: Lancs Lad

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
Due to receive a Gran Camino from Woosh this week. I sold my Carrera Crossfire ebike a couple of months ago, while it was in good condition and got a great price.
Looking forward to riding my new bike and hoping I made the right decision. Loads of research has lead me to this choice from Woosh.
There is a total lack of reviews for the Gran Camino, so I will be back with a practical review as soon as possible
That's great, do keep us in the loop! Would love to hear an owner's opinion!
It seems they recently updated the model too, IIRC, so I'm curious what changes they've made!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It seems they recently updated the model too, IIRC, so I'm curious what changes they've made!
1. larger tyres: from 27.5" x 2.0" to 27.5" x 2.15"
2. LCD: from KM529 to KD58C
The reason to change the LCD is because the KD58C lets you customise the 'power-set' in the LCD to suit your riding. You can set the number of levels and how much power for each level in pedal assist mode. The default setting is 1-5 but you can choose 0-3, 0-5,0-7,0-9 etc.
Level 0 is no assist. The throttle still works on level 0 so you can still flatten the hills.
The default for 1-5 set is 50%, 61%, 73%, 85%, 96%.
You can also change the maximum current too, between 18A-21A.
The throttle works the same as before.

Johnorable

May 12, 2021
1. larger tyres: from 27.5" x 2.0" to 27.5" x 2.15"
2. LCD: from KM529 to KD58C
The reason to change the LCD is because the KD58C lets you customise the 'power-set' in the LCD to suit your riding. You can set the number of levels and how much power for each level in pedal assist mode. The default setting is 1-5 but you can choose 0-3, 0-5,0-7,0-9 etc.
Level 0 is no assist. The throttle still works so you can still flatten the hills.
The default for 1-5 set is 50%, 61%, 73%, 85%, 96%.
You can also change the maximum current too, between 18A-21A.
The throttle works the same as before.
Interesting! Thanks for the reply!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The ability to change the % level is a very good reason to buy the bike, one can then opt for a very low % level if one wants to do more of the work. Which is why I like the KT controllers, with PAS1 only approx.13% of the power is supplied so good for battery range on a longer run.

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
Awsome quick response @ woosh.
I am going to reconfigure for 7 settings. 1 being 0% 2 being 30%. The other 5 as default

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it only takes a minute to reconfigure. For you, that's the 0-7 set in the 'power set' option.
To go to the settings menu, hold both + and - buttons down for a couple of seconds.
You get to the settings menu. Hold again both + and - buttons down for a couple of seconds. You get to the advanced setting menu.
Change the settings there.
Hold the middle 'power' button down for 3 seconds to save and exit.
Although there are more choices in the new KD58C, the old manual of the KD58C is still useable.

Reactions: oggie

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
Rereading i feel, 7 plus 0 is to many.
Thinking now 0-5
settings. 0=0%. 1=25%. 2=50%. 3=75%. 4=85%. 5=96%.
Will enjoy messing around adjusting to my riding style

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT's are 13%, 20%, 33%, 50% & 100%, even 20 or 33% I find over kill unless inclines are encountered the higher two one needs a long steep climb to really make use of them.

Reactions: oggie