Anyone bought a Stromer ST2?

psychopomp1

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Hi,
Thinking of buying arguably the best e-bike out there, the recently released swiss made Stromer ST2. Now i'm aware it has a 500w motor and can do 45km/hr (28mph)....cough cough cough :) But the main selling point for me is that it can do up to 150km on a battery charge, i have no intention of doing > 15mph on public highways, as i don't want to risk getting a £4.5k bike confiscated. Not available in UK so thinking of getting one from Germany for £4500 delivered....3 month waiting list though. Not cheap i know, but it seems to get raving reviews on the German Stromer forums and many people say its worth it considering the features eg smartphone controlled, gps built-in, up to 150km range etc. Apparently one guy has had his ST2 stolen twice but recovered each time due to the GPS.

Anyway just wondering has anyone bought one in UK, if so are you happy with it? Are there any Stromer dealers in UK where you can take it to to get it serviced etc?

D

Deleted member 4366

I hope that the 150 km isn't important to you. The Stromer that I saw revieed had a 36v 10ah battery, which will take you no more than 30km if you use the power. Keeping the speed below 25km/h and pedalling will get you about 45km. The only way to get 150km out of it would be to put it on the train.

Reactions: Cyclezee

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The latest ones claim to have 814wh of power.

Isn't that about the same as 20ah?

If so, I suppose you could get 80 miles out of it in favourable-ish conditions with moderate use of the assistance - about 130km.

http://www.stromerbike.com/en/int/e-bikes/stromer-st2

D

Deleted member 4366

With 814wh, you'd get proportionally more than the 360wh one that I mentioned. 100km should be easily achievable if you keep below 15mph. If you're already a strong pedaller and can maintain that for 6 or more hours 150km should be possible. You'd have to be pretty fit though.

My 20ah battery and 500w motor gets me about 50 miles over medium hilly terrain as long as I stick to 12 to 15 mph. If I put in a bit of effort, It goes up to about 70 miles. I've managed over 80 miles on an all-day tour by turning the power right down and going slower. It doesn't really matter which bike you have, once you go over 30km/h, a 800wh battery will take you about 50 to 60 km. At 45km/h, that would drop to a range of 30km or less.

psychopomp1

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2014
I hope that the 150 km isn't important to you. The Stromer that I saw revieed had a 36v 10ah battery, which will take you no more than 30km if you use the power. Keeping the speed below 25km/h and pedalling will get you about 45km. The only way to get 150km out of it would be to put it on the train.
I think you're referring to the Stromer ST1 which has significantly less range.
http://www.stromerbike.com/en/int/technology/st1-technology

If you really did see a review of the ST2, could you give me a link to it? I couldn't find any reviews for it online yet.

On the German Stromer forums i've seen people mentioning they're getting around 130kms on the ST2 (on mostly flat terrain). Of course i'm fully aware that if you were to go up steep hills all day doing 28mph 15mph you'd be lucky to get 10km range.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You canna fool the laws of physics captain.
D8veh is quoting a real achievable range.
If you have a legally bike and pedal at circa 18 on the flat you do all the propulsion. And use 0 amps so infinite range on a 10 watt battery.
If you sweat and work you can get 60 miles out of a 428 watt battery on a legal bike.
As soon as you use electric power over 15 you waste energy in moving the air. That's why cars are more efficient at 56 not 70.

Yes you could get 120 Km but you would also have to work hard to archive it.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
What so special about the bike to justify a price tag of £4500 ? Is it 3x better than a decent £1500 e-bike ? Cant see them selling many at this price

psychopomp1

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2014
What so special about the bike to justify a price tag of £4500 ? Is it 3x better than a decent £1500 e-bike ? Cant see them selling many at this price
Actually mate the ST2 is selling like hot cakes in the countries its been released in (mainly Germany & Switzerland). There is currently a 3 month waiting list for it.Will probably order one soon from Bike Boutique (lol) in Frankfurt. Some main features:

Highest speed 45 km / h

range
up to 150 km on a single charge

motor
VERB Drive motor, 500 watts of power, 35 Nm of torque
accumulator with 814 watt-hours of the most powerful e-bike battery on the market

Gears
Shimano 20-speed derailleur

brakes
Magura MT2 4 hydraulic disc brakes with integrated brake sensor and recuperation.

lighting
Supernova headlights, Busch and Mueller rear light and daytime running lights integrated into the framework

fork
lightweight and flexible carbon fork

Tyres
Stromer custom BigBen with puncture protection

You've also got a GPS receiver built-in for tracking purposes, you can update the bike's firmware via your smartphone and the dealer can also remotely fault find. I believe its made in Switzerland so that probably contributes to the cost as well.

Its like buying a Concept2 rowing machine...the uneducated will say why pay £1000 for one when you can buy an el-cheapo rower from Argos for £49.99?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
But for that sort of money you could get an electric velomobile!
That would motor and keep your sandwiches dry

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We went over to Switzerland to visit their factory and try these out this time last year, the ST2, and decided against bringing them in - they offer similar equipment levels, range and performance to Kalkhoffs but at twice and three times the price. They wouldn't have sat well in our line-up. The ergonomics were a bit odd too. Scott did succeed in doing 70kph on a slight downhill riding into Bern. We saw loads of ST1 in the streets over there, they're popular. Switzerland is a great country to ride an electric bike, no doubt about that.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Whilst I am not in favour of current UK speed restrictions, that would be a very expensive bike to have confiscated :(. Can it have a top-speed programmed into it?

Looks very nice though.

D

Deleted member 4366

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's not good incidentally to restrict yourself to one brand - I think what Ave, Scott and KTM do is generally very good. Get yourself a test ride of those.

Also, if there are no Stromer dealers in the UK, you might be running a risk getting one. Nearly all bikes need a RTB tune-up, and if your seller is not just a short hop away, you can run the risk of having an expensive bedding-in period.

In relation to d8veh's post - your enthusiasm might just be that you are persuading yourself this bike is a good idea. I'd reiterate the above advice - look at the disadvantages too, and weigh both up against the other brands. £4500 is fine for a competition bike, I suppose, but otherwise you can get a fine bike for half that sum.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Where is the person who bought that shocking red/orange Stromer a few months back ? Remember he was planning to sell it after a very short period of purchasing it. He is the best person to ask.

MS.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Where is the person who bought that shocking red/orange Stromer a few months back ? Remember he was planning to sell it after a very short period of purchasing it. He is the best person to ask.

MS.
I was thinking the same, wasn't he in Scotland?

Seem to recall he listed it in classifieds, although I had a search/look and have not been able to find it.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I was thinking the same, wasn't he in Scotland?

Seem to recall he listed it in classifieds, although I had a search/look and have not been able to find it.
It's really weird because I am not sure if he wasn't happy with the colour or the performance of the bike. I can vaguely remember that when he would pull up at a set of traffic lights people would stare at him which made him feel sometimes uneasy.

MS.

Joop

Just Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Hi all,

few weeks ago I bought an ST2 in Amsterdam (I work there) an am using it for my 43 daily commuting kilometers.

First impression: Great bike, 45 km/h effortless, it feels solid and well manufactured. Range is ok, the charger can stay at home, one charge a day is sufficient for my needs.

But.... The gadgets (one of the reasons why I chose this model) are a bit disappointing.

Joop

Just Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Continuing after a computercrash... (Microsoft calls these crashes 'updates'... :)

At first nothing worked, I didn't receive the PIN code needed for the electronic lock and couldn't get a proper connection thru the android app.

After a week the dealer fixed it (he replaced the entire display) so now I can lock/unlock the bike, send finetune instructions for level 2 assistance, manage theftmode and find the location of the bike on a map.

But (again)... It only seems to work outdoors and is rather slow. A level 2 finetune instruction can take up to several minutes before the bike acknowledges receiving it.

Furthermore: Stromer promised on there website (in Dutch) that customers would be able to access the stromer portal on the web where there would be tons of features available but as a customer you won't get acces to this portal, it's only for dealers.

And last but not least: they promise a bluetooth option which isn't implemented yet....

My dealer agreed that the adverts were misleading and offered me to return the bike and reimburse my money, but I decided to keep it, I'm already definitely addicted to my every morning big-smile when I push the level 3 button... :)