Anyone got a Raleigh Motus ?

don't know how I managed that strikethough - was not intended!

http://www.bike-shed.com/

Units 5 & 6, Leeds Road Mini Park, Huddersfield, HD1 6PA
01484 517197

(didn't see cube at bike shed website)
They are a cube dealer, have been for full 2015 season - just too busy selling bikes to update their website by the looks of things.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so how come these bikes are so much cheaper in germany?

not as its a bit cheaper its A LOT cheaper.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
so how come these bikes are so much cheaper in germany?

not as its a bit cheaper its A LOT cheaper.
German import taxes on the goods, German exports taxes, German VAT levels. Warranty is shifted from the retailer to someone else so the retailer doesn't need as much cash reserves to cover themselves.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not have a problem getting 1 from germany tho, ordered lots of stuff from over there and never had a problem.;)

tho if its a motor problem all have to go back to bosch anyway.:rolleyes:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'd think twice about those Magura rim brakes. They are like rim brakes only worse. Magura have managed to combine all the disadvantages of rim brakes with all the disadvantages hydraulics. I had them on my Pro Connect and they were dreadful. The caliper pistons stick giving uneven adjustment and making it impossible to use the red adjuster wheel on the brake lever. They really are bad.

Having experienced disk brakes, I would never go near rim brakes ever again, especially Magura v

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got no warranty with mine so will just send my motor of if when i need to buy a new 1.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I've got rim brakes on my current Kalkhoff and they're excellent.
...much better than any disc brakes I've had.

...thanks for the Hargreaves link Dewsbury...no problem.
Trouble is do they stock the bikes...not buying unseen.
.....Mike

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Hargreaves was one of the last places in the country to sell it's reaction hybrid pro 29er. It/they went the week I was looking at trying to test ride one. (About 6 different online stores sold out that week.) I'm sure they'll have something to try - you can always call and find out!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I'd think twice about those Magura rim brakes. They are like rim brakes only worse. Magura have managed to combine all the disadvantages of rim brakes with all the disadvantages hydraulics. I had them on my Pro Connect and they were dreadful. The caliper pistons stick giving uneven adjustment and making it impossible to use the red adjuster wheel on the brake lever. They really are bad.

Having experienced disk brakes, I would never go near rim brakes ever again, especially Magura v
Didn’t you retro fit them on an older bike? Maybe they didn’t work so well on that? I have them on my Agattu and they are really good. I still prefer hydraulic disk brakes but these are so much better than normal rim breaks.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Didn’t you retro fit them on an older bike? Maybe they didn’t work so well on that? I have them on my Agattu and they are really good. I still prefer hydraulic disk brakes but these are so much better than normal rim breaks.
Yes John, I retro fitted them in place of cable operated rim brakes. I think the cable brakes were better. For me though, disks are the only option. They are easier to set up, work better and don't chew up the wheel.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've got rim brakes on my current Kalkhoff and they're excellent.
...much better than any disc brakes I've had.
Of the 5 bikes I'm able to use at the present time, two have cable rim brakes - good! Two have cable disc brakes, - good but a real nuisance to maintain. One has hydraulic rim brakes - easily the best for feel, progressive action and ultimate stopping power with next to no maintenance.

I may change the discs to a hydraulic set-up at some point but I certainly wouldn't discard my hydraulic rim brakes in favour of discs.

Tom

Reactions: Andrew K

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers Tom....I'd much prefer magura rim brakes on my next bike but unfortunately most of the bikes are fitted with disc brakes which as you say, can be a pain, If rim brakes are a deal breaker I may have to stick to my first choice Raleigh Motus.
....Mike

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Cheers Tom....I'd much prefer magura rim brakes on my next bike but unfortunately most of the bikes are fitted with disc brakes which as you say, can be a pain, If rim brakes are a deal breaker I may have to stick to my first choice Raleigh Motus.
....Mike
They are fitted with hydraulic disks though not mechanical ones. It’s the mechanical disk brakes which are the pain. Hydraulic disk brakes are practically maintenance free. Just like my Magura hydraulic rim brakes.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Leaving aside the pros and cons of brake systems for a moment, this thread has demonstrated another of those areas of confusion which 'modern times' has helped create.

As with the difficulty many have describing correctly, the foot placement areas adjacent to the bike crank, i.e. pedals and not peddles, some seem to have confusion about circular components. The brake parts are not disks, (unless you're American or have spent too long around computers). They are discs, the same as the type of brake now commonly found on motor vehicles.

In medicine, doctors in the UK may perform a discectomy to relieve acute back pain. Curiously, the Americans spell that procedure exactly as we do in the UK!

So, on an a bike, it's disc brakes; on a Harley, probably disks! Not that it seems to matter at the end of the day as spelling, grammar and English usage have all gone the way of manners, discipline and respect in this selfish new world.

Tom

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I soppose it’s the medium forming the message. Forums like this, or fora if you like, are pretty informal with a very lax attitude to spelling and grammar. So when on auto pilot it’s possible to write all sorts of things without noticing. But I do know how to spell pedant Tom.

Reactions: SteveRuss
D

Deleted member 4366

Grammatical and spelling mistakes are tolerated, but with some exceptions. Not allowed are:

Misuse of apostrophes, e.g. using them for plurals.
Use of the word "there" instead of "their" meaning belonging to them.
Using "of" instead of "have" in the past subjunctive, e.g. "I should of used proper grammar" instead of "I should have used proper grammar".

In the case of these transgressions, you get three strikes, after which you get a temporary ban from the forum.