Anyone Know What This Is Called?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one is thinking of changing it then you might not be able to get the same item, if it only has 4 wires then you might be able to use other 4 wire analogue model. If it has 5 wires then it is likely a digital model and others likely may not be wholly compatible.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Generally, if you want to change the display then you also change the controller as they work as matched pairs.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Generally, if you want to change the display then you also change the controller as they work as matched pairs.

Thanks for that. I don't know if you've seen my other post but I'm having problems with the display going dim in stages and then coming back on. I'm trying to locate the issue and thought I'd start here as this is a reasonably inexpensive part. A bit of 'Hit & Miss' I'm afraid as I have no idea where's the best place to start?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks for that. I don't know if you've seen my other post but I'm having problems with the display going dim in stages and then coming back on. I'm trying to locate the issue and thought I'd start here as this is a reasonably inexpensive part. A bit of 'Hit & Miss' I'm afraid as I have no idea where's the best place to start?
I would suspect either imperfect contacts in the connector, or possibly moisture somewhere. Could the nameless unit be removed from the bike and placed in a warm, dry environment for a couple of days? And give the connector some exercise, and perhaps contact spray etc..

Next step is open the casing if possible and look for signs of trouble, things that could be loose or damp and so on. Not a bad idea to open before putting in the warm place - moisture will get out more easily.

I have some warning lights in the dashboard of my van that sometimes show dimly when off - probably a similar issue, but completely inaccessible, so I will just have to live with it. Only noticeable in the dark.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I would suspect either imperfect contacts in the connector, or possibly moisture somewhere. Could the nameless unit be removed from the bike and placed in a warm, dry environment for a couple of days? And give the connector some exercise, and perhaps contact spray etc..

Next step is open the casing if possible and look for signs of trouble, things that could be loose or damp and so on. Not a bad idea to open before putting in the warm place - moisture will get out more easily.

I have some warning lights in the dashboard of my van that sometimes show dimly when off - probably a similar issue, but completely inaccessible, so I will just have to live with it. Only noticeable in the dark.
I did, in fact, try to disassemble this yesterday but following removal from handlebars could find out how to take it apart. It probably clips together? But, not wishing to damage it, decided to leave it alone for the time being. Was going to strip it down and check for 'dry' solder joints and loose connections etc., and then use the hair dryer to remove any residual damp/moisture followed by some contact spray cleaner. Will have to try again when I have a little more time. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller/led combo is likely a no name or unknown china brand , buying any stuff willy nilly is a false economy. How many wires/pin outs does the led have.

In the past folks have placed the display in a small bag with some rice to act like silica to draw moisture out and placed it in a warm place .

As we expect that moisture is the issue then some tracks may have formed between contacts causing the issue or the moisture itself is conducting shorts between contacts.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
The controller/led combo is likely a no name or unknown china brand , buying any stuff willy nilly is a false economy. How many wires/pin outs does the led have.

In the past folks have placed the display in a small bag with some rice to act like silica to draw moisture out and placed it in a warm place .

As we expect that moisture is the issue then some tracks may have formed between contacts causing the issue or the moisture itself is conducting shorts between contacts.
I agree entirely with your comments regarding moisture at the moment. I have no idea how many pin outs/connections this as because I was unable to dismantle it to check along with 'dry' solder joint or loose connections. I will have to dismantle the battery holder to access the controller to remove or replace the LED unit, but this is quite a fairly lengthy job. I will have to attempt this when I have more time. I did find a very similar unit on the internet last night, see image, but this as more speed indicators and light switch.

e-silento-t320-display-36v-black-397236-0-l.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The display pic in #10 is pointless as it isn't the same one you have in pic#1, all it does is muddy the water.
Your one must have a connector pull it apart and count the pins, ultimately if one can trace the motor wire to the controller (likely in front of the battery compartment) see what name/brand is on it.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My opinion is as Neal says - it's an outside chance that any display that's "similar looking" is likely to work. You're likely wasting your time and money.

If you're going to look for a replacement display, did you try the service helpline? The importer/distributors contact details are shown at the end of your ebike manual here.

This Company also provide Customer support for, and repair and resell Customer Returned ebikes for the likes of Argos, Ideal World etc, and some brands associated with ebikesdirect and Halfords. They also sell/supply new overstock and replacement batteries direct for those brands too, including for your ebike. A "manufacturer refurbished" E-plus Mantra, for example, sells for just £324.99 in their listings here.

The point is this: They refurbish and resell your model, and almost all the refurbished bikes they resell use exactly the same display as your Mantra model. It stands to reason they're most likely to have the correct parts you need available - if that's the route you choose.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I agree entirely with your comments regarding moisture at the moment. I have no idea how many pin outs/connections this as because I was unable to dismantle it to check along with 'dry' solder joint or loose connections. I will have to dismantle the battery holder to access the controller to remove or replace the LED unit, but this is quite a fairly lengthy job. I will have to attempt this when I have more time. I did find a very similar unit on the internet last night, see image, but this as more speed indicators and light switch.
I personally would prefer it if you kept to the default font for your posts, as it is much easier for me to read. I can arrange that using Stylebot so not really an issue for me. I don't know how others feel.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I personally would prefer it if you kept to the default font for your posts, as it is much easier for me to read. I can arrange that using Stylebot so not really an issue for me. I don't know how others feel.
I'm partially sighted so increase the size accordingly. Surely, like me, it's easier to read?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm partially sighted so increase the size accordingly. Surely, like me, it's easier to read?
I'm sorry about your sight issue, and absolutely understand that you may prefer larger fonts. But surely in that case you want to increase the size on all posts? (ctrl,+ on most browsers, maybe cmd,+ on Apple?)

Larger fonts are easier to read up to a point (a different point for different people), but too large and it becomes more difficult to read a solid block of text. OK for a few words (such as titles).

Similarly if the blue is easier for you to read you would want that on other posts too. You may well find the Stylebot plugin helpful to tailor readability of many sites to your needs. I only use it on very few sites (mainly this one after they made some very unwelcome (to me) design changes a year or so ago), but find it really helpful when I do use it.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
My opinion is as Neal says - it's an outside chance that any display that's "similar looking" is likely to work. You're likely wasting your time and money.

If you're going to look for a replacement display, did you try the service helpline? The importer/distributors contact details are shown at the end of your ebike manual here.

This Company also provide Customer support for, and repair and resell Customer Returned ebikes for the likes of Argos, Ideal World etc, and some brands associated with ebikesdirect and Halfords. They also sell/supply new overstock and replacement batteries direct for those brands too, including for your ebike. A "manufacturer refurbished" E-plus Mantra, for example, sells for just £324.99 in their listings here.

The point is this: They refurbish and resell your model, and almost all the refurbished bikes they resell use exactly the same display as your Mantra model. It stands to reason they're most likely to have the correct parts you need available - if that's the route you choose.

I did try the details as shown in the manual, and below yesterday but I don't think they exist anymore?
B-Spoke Leisure

The Cordwainers
Southend-on-Sea

Essex, SS2 5RU.

The link you have provided is for:
EBikes

12 Eldon Way, Hockley,
Essex, SS5 4AD

Don't know if they're the same company but will drop them an email a little later. Thanks

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I'm sorry about your sight issue, and absolutely understand that you may prefer larger fonts. But surely in that case you want to increase the size on all posts? (ctrl,+ on most browsers, maybe cmd,+ on Apple?)

Larger fonts are easier to read up to a point (a different point for different people), but too large and it becomes more difficult to read a solid block of text. OK for a few words (such as titles).

Similarly if the blue is easier for you to read you would want that on other posts too. You may well find the Stylebot plugin helpful to tailor readability of many sites to your needs. I only use it on very few sites (mainly this one after they made some very unwelcome (to me) design changes a year or so ago), but find it really helpful when I do use it.
Absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I try to always use the same size, style and colour on all my posts. I only use an old fashioned laptop and no idea what Stylebot is? Far too technical for me I'm afraid

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The individual brand-name addresses are irrelevant. It's EXACTLY the same company behind all the brands. The telephone number and email address is always the same and has been for years... if you ask Argos for technical support, buy a bike from Ideal World, or buy a Swifty ebike from Swifty on Amazon, it's exactly the same contact details:

support@ebikes.co.uk
01702 208188

Or use their live on-line chat.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If there is an ebikesdirect outlet nearby, it may be worth popping in and asking regarding spares.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
The individual brand-name addresses are irrelevant. It's EXACTLY the same company behind all the brands. The telephone number and email address is always the same and has been for years... if you ask Argos for technical support, buy a bike from Ideal World, or buy a Swifty ebike from Swifty on Amazon, it's exactly the same contact details:

support@ebikes.co.uk
01702 208188

Or use their live on-line chat.
Right guys. I've emailed and just awaiting a response. Lets see what they say. I've dropped the font size down so lets see if that helps some? Thanks peeps.