anyone seen a bike like this

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I honestly cannot believe there is just 2 people who have a bike like this. apart from me and the person who own the one in picture below. as someone found this one on a web site. I tried to contact them but they never replied. mine dont have a basket at front. I just need some info on it. like parts etc, a Manuel maybe

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Crikey. That looks to me like a seriously ancient lead acid powered brushed ebike from the early days like early powabikes with 3 x 12v SLA in the massive downtube)

Surely this is not at all new ?!

In any event I can't read the markings (maybe just my phone) can you do some close ups ?

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Crikey. That looks to me like a seriously ancient lead acid powered brushed ebike from the early days like early powabikes with 3 x 12v SLA in the massive downtube)

In any event I can't read the markings (maybe just my phone) can you do some close ups ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
A word of warning is that some parts can be very hard /impossible /not cost effective for powabikes that old

However, let's not jump the gun here ! Is there anything wrong

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks wicky, I had not seen other post. Seems to make sense to close this one and keep everything in one place

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike like ny Swizzbee in the avatar is old hat and dates back likely about 12 years or so, the tech compared with today is old but they do retain their quirkiness or charm/appeal.
SLA, NiCad & nimh are heavy and can't match the power & capacity of modern lithium, also in the case of the Swizzbee brushed motor's on an ebike is old hat.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk

Please note this is not my bike in picture, its someone else, and yes when I bought mine 2nd hand 4 years ago. it did have lead acid batteries, which I was told here to change and remove for a lithium one. the 2 x lead acid batteries went 15 miles. in range. But thanks to someone here I bought a lithium one for £171 and modified battery compartment. also fitted a meter too. now it will go approx 25 miles in range. I cant zoom into the picture, as its not a very good copy. I did contact person who was selling the one in the picture, but had no reply. I even contacted the garage it was purchased from in I O Man, again no reply. it says on side of bike Phillips thats 2 x LL I belief made by Raleigh thats all info I have

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Phillips Cycles

"The "Phillips" brand is still used around the world, especially in China and the Far East, having been licensed by Raleigh. In India it was produced from Madras presently called Chennai."

Your bike is probably an early foray into electric bikes