Anyone use a Garmin Varia 2 RTL510 Radar tail light with HUD unit ?

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Well, if I get one of these it will go on my Orbea Gain so I hope it is relevant here ?
This is the device

Now this comes 'stand alone' £119.00 at Halfords ! or bundled with a dedicated HUD (Head Up Display) unit.

See the Bundle here

I think most users get the stand alone radar light and 'pair' it with one of Garmin's compatible devices.

I suspect from something I read on a youtube review that the HUD unit does not give an audible warning when the radar sees an approaching vehicle ? I consider this audible warning essential.

I know all Garmins compatible cycle computers do give an audible warning.

I have a Garmin Edge 500 that I am happy with but that is not compatible with the RTL510 . I do not
want to have the added cost of a new computer.

If there is no audible warning with the HUD unit I would only use the RTL510 2 with a cycling computer with this warning.
Can anyone help please ?

Last edited:

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Thanks Gubbins,
I don't think the 'strength' of this warning device is in town/heavy traffic and not where I would be using it.
I predominately cycle on reasonably quiet rural roads here in North Yorkshire. I think an audible warning is
essential, you cannot be looking down at the screen checking for onrushing cars. I was sceptical at first but the overwhelming body of opinion is very favourable. This is the respected Shane Miller on Youtube. N:B This is the mk1 version.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
You are correct. In town where vehicle speeds are similar to cycle speed it is of no use as it measures speed difference to work, but on really quiet roads the sound can be heard but the noise it makes is far too low and is easily missed. I have both mk1 and 2 and prefer mk2 for the brighter light.

Reactions: badlywornroy

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Oh ! I didn’t realise from your 1st post that you actually owned the device. I thought the audible warning you referred to was not related to the RTL510. So do you use the radar tail light with a Garmin computer ? If so can I ask which one please ?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
I use the older radar with the garmin 1000 head unit and can easily hear the warning beep when traffic is approaching.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks for your input.
Your welcome.
I wouldn't advise spending a lot of money on an expensive Garmin device because in my experience the extra functions I paid more for (mapping and route guidance don't work very well). I had also considered the varia vision which is compatible with varia radar and seems like the perfect solution, but for the price and head unit compatibility isn't very good, but a heads up display warning of rearward approaching trafic would be awesome.. not found a retailer yet that has one to try.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Garmin/Varia-Vision-Heads-Up-Display/HXJ8?co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&id=836612&gclid=CjwKCAjwvbLkBRBbEiwAChbckTviY2B3mnw_qOyq8YVCZ7nEBTSuIsVDBsUC5d57HcwnjBUMvY2ulxoCanoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Your welcome.
I wouldn't advise spending a lot of money on an expensive Garmin device because in my experience the extra functions I paid more for (mapping and route guidance don't work very well). I had also considered the varia vision which is compatible with varia radar and seems like the perfect solution, but for the price and head unit compatibility isn't very good, but a heads up display warning of rearward approaching trafic would be awesome.. not found a retailer yet that has one to try.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Garmin/Varia-Vision-Heads-Up-Display/HXJ8?co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&id=836612&gclid=CjwKCAjwvbLkBRBbEiwAChbckTviY2B3mnw_qOyq8YVCZ7nEBTSuIsVDBsUC5d57HcwnjBUMvY2ulxoCanoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks again Gubbins. I was not aware of the Varia-Vision gadget.

No, I really do not want to buy a new Garmin device, my Edge 500 does all need. This is why I am trying to
discover if the 'bundled' HUD unit gives audible warning. When you read the literature they all say
" providing visual and audible alerts " but I am old and cynical and definitely read a comment on YouTube
where the Op complained about no aubible warning on the HUD unit. Now he might be wrong of course ?
I have asked Garmin via their Facebook page but no answer and I'm not holding my breadth.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps thats why I dont hear mine.. I am either out with no traffic at all or on busy roads with constant traffic. I ffind the radar invaluble for navigating right turns and roundabouts on busy roads.
It shows up to 8 dots representing traffic so I wait for a gap in the dots before I look behind for confirmation.. Saves the constant looking back trying to find a gap.. Also have a mirror but the varia radar gives the most acurate reprisentation of the gaps.

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Yes, I do not ride in such 'testing' conditions as you but I am 72 and when I'm knackered it is easy to lose concentration. There are many narrow country lanes with pot holes etc this means constant checking behind before moving out to avoid. Yes, I can usually hear the car that's close but is it one car or are there others.
I have a small mirror which does help but I'm a 'belt 'n' braces' man these days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Though not as tech as the tail radar for the Garmin, if you want a HUD to see behind then there is the motorcycle option with LCD HUD and front and rear mini cameras. The system needs 12 -24v to operate and is hard wired.
At about 750ma system draw you could simply uses a 4 or 6s lipo for a battery source not charging above 24v or 4v per cell. Recording on a loop so no need to erase footage.

Reactions: Gubbins

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
Just to complete my post, I now have the Garmin Varia RT510 which I have ‘mated’ with a Garmin Edge 130. Result, brilliant imo. Works 100% every time, no false alarms,
no missed vehicles approaching. The radar picks up a vehicle (up to 8 I believe) over 100 meters away. Audible warning that my 72 year old ears catch the vast majority of the time and then a glance down (eyes only) at the Edge 130 informs me how many vehicles and how near each one is. Of course it cannot stop the idiot driver from whatever they are going to do but I am so much better informed about what’s happening behind me, that’s got to be a good thing ?