Anything out there like Cytronex ? Want to covert and On One Pompetamine

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
yes I tried one earlier this year, did not notice the noise to be honest, hill climbing was excellent. Wisper have already said on another thread that the Dapush motor in new kit has little or no freewheel resistance....

come on you know you have always wanted one H!:D
Noise - maybe I am comparing it to the Cytronex or even my E-motion but I found it very noisy up hills under power.

No not tempted - not sure about the battery to be honest. Looks too wide to fit on the frame and I hate locating batteries on the rear. More tempted by the bottle kit - you would have to paint the battery black but I think that could work out well.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Noise - maybe I am comparing it to the Cytronex or even my E-motion but I found it very noisy up hills under power.

No not tempted - not sure about the battery to be honest. Looks too wide to fit on the frame and I hate locating batteries on the rear. More tempted by the bottle kit - you would have to paint the battery black but I think that could work out well.
I thought maybe that was the case, but you need to watch the video linked earlier...battery sits in frame just like the BionX - I admit not as pretty, but whole kit costs as much as a replacement BionX battery! And its black?

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
If you're leaning towards a cytronex or daahub kit (when available) you could see if you could try a demo cytronex and wisper (alpino) bikes to compare.

Thinking of a kit myself. I've ridden a cytronex and tongxin motored conversion. Cytronex was a nice system but I wasn't keen on the bike, tongxin kit nice when it worked, but unreliable (probably down to my diy skills). So I'm going to track down a Wisper Alpino demo to try.

I'm expecting a bit more weight, power and noise compared to the tongxin and cytronex. I won't know until I've tried it if the power is worth the noise and weight. Looking forward to finding out though.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
DaaHub days are coming!

Hi Eddie and all, the first delivery of DaaHub's will be here next week, yippee! but unfortunately they have sold out already, (Eddie your's is safe). The next lot will be in at the end of June, the kits are really causing a bit of a stir, if anyone is thinking of buying a DaaHub, it would be best to reserve one sooner rather than later.

All the best

David

D

Deleted member 4366

You lot are going to hate me when I say this, but you remind me of a couple of my friends at university in 1972. They were into hi-fi and had state of the art systems (which would be absolute rubbish now). They would buy records, but when they played them, they were only listening for scratches, which they could hear every time because their systems were better than the records, so they kept taking the records back to try and get a better one, but they were never satisfied, while the rest of us just bought the records, played them on our cheapo record players and enjoyed the music. I suppose that it's good that we're all different!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I remember wearing out my first copy of Nursery Crime on such a player! Must have been 1972 too?

That was after seeing Genesis (The real Peter Gabriel time Genesis!) support Lindisfarne live at the local cinema, I still have the poster, it cost fifty pence to get in! :)

Happy Days!

David

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
d8veh, I really value and like your posts on here but your allegory is a bit unfair as it implies that most of us dont value what we can afford to buy...

whatever I buy I like decent quality and prepared to pay the price as long as its reasonable (thats why I wont buy BionX)

I see many on here expecting e bikes at half the price of a competent non assisted bike...Then complaining and scratching their heads when the cheap kit fails. At the risk of getting boring I will repeat myself...Many of you are completely out of touch with what people spend on bikes. my son and his friends and the like easily spend £1000 - 3000 So you need to get this into perspective

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
genesis

I remember wearing out my first copy of Nursery Crime on such a player! Must have been 1972 too?

That was after seeing Genesis (The real Peter Gabriel time Genesis!) support Lindisfarne live at the local cinema, I still have the poster, it cost fifty pence to get in! :)

David
manchester uni 1972, must have been the same tour........!!!!!
still have a record deck (expensive one) from then....beats the s.... out of anything on the digital market.
happy days indeed
regards

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
stick a dahub on that beauty and it will become a fantastic beast of a machine.
very envious...............

regards

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
still have a record deck (expensive one) from then....beats the s.... out of anything on the digital market.
happy days indeed
regards
Nautical College Plymouth, what an amazing concert that was!! :D

D

Deleted member 4366

d8veh, I really value and like your posts on here but your allegory is a bit unfair as it implies that most of us dont value what we can afford to buy...

whatever I buy I like decent quality and prepared to pay the price as long as its reasonable (thats why I wont buy BionX)

I see many on here expecting e bikes at half the price of a competent non assisted bike...Then complaining and scratching their heads when the cheap kit fails. At the risk of getting boring I will repeat myself...Many of you are completely out of touch with what people spend on bikes. my son and his friends and the like easily spend £1000 - 3000 So you need to get this into perspective
I don't really mean to imply anything. I'm just recalling fond memories. We're all different and how we spend our money is our own decision. If I were to make a point, it would be that it's better to enjoy what you have rather than strive for perfection, because perfection doesn't exist, so you're bound to be disappointed, and I'm not implying that anyone here is searching for perfection.
Regarding the cheaper bikes, as far as I can see, there's just as many people asking for help with expensive bikes as there are with cheaper ones - if not more. Kits is slightly different because many more people buy cheap kits as a way of starting, rather than buying more expensive ones, so you'd expect more problems, but having said that, the actual components in the cheap (sorry, I mean good value) kits are extremely reliable and it's rare to get problems with them, especially the good value Bafang motors. Most of the head scratching is during the installation of the kit. I can't remember many failing - unlike the more expensive Tongxin kits. So, I must say on that point i don't agree with you, but I don't think any less of you or anybody else for having a different opinion.

D

Deleted member 4366

happy days indeed
regards
I had the choice of Manchester or Glasgow and I changed my mind to Glasgow at the last moment. If I hadn't changed my mind you might have been one of my hi-fi friends!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi All,

Thanks for your input on this.......and the digression into early 70's music nostalgia :) !

Couple of additions to this story. One good, one bad and one uncertain

The bad news is that the Daahub does not appear to be available in 700c flavour :(

The good news is that Mark at Cytronex has confirmed their kit will be available in August. :)

And the uncetain is that he does not know the Pompetamine so cannot confirm if it will fit. (I'm sure they will be able to if I give them more information once the kit is finalised/available)

I think my decision is to postpone my decision until both kits are avaialbe. And then probrably go for the one that will fit my bike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Wrong........My Daahub (here next week) is for a 700cc wheel or you can have a 26 inch if you want. I think it is the most flexible well thought out system plus a battery with a decent capacity

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Something to be aware of with more expensive bikes is that you might have trouble fitting the PAS to the bottom bracket as they tend not to have the square spindle exposed as on cheaper BBs.

It might be worth getting throttle of some kind with a kit, then at least if you can't immediately fit your PAS you can at least use your system while you figure something out.

Matt.

Mark/Cytronex

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Winchester
www.no-hills.com
Cytronex kit and disk brakes

Just seen this thread (sorry we are too busy with kit development to keep tabs on the forum) and thought I should just confirm some points:

1. The kit will have a disk brake option - I attach a photo of a bike we will be doing and which I have been riding for several months now (Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Headshock).

2. Our kit could work with virtually any motor, and we have tried all the contenders as mentioned in a previous post. But because the experience of cycling is so important to us, the prerequisite is that the motor has to be silent and smooth with a freewheel that does not detract from cycling without assistance.

3. True most of the system has been redesigned, and with all new electronics, but the result is the system will be even neater than our hand built bikes now and the same result can be achieved on almost any bike. As I am sure members of the forum will appreciate, this has not been easy to achieve, and that is one of the reasons it has taken so long.

Regards,

Mark

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Something to be aware of with more expensive bikes is that you might have trouble fitting the PAS to the bottom bracket as they tend not to have the square spindle exposed as on cheaper BBs.

It might be worth getting throttle of some kind with a kit, then at least if you can't immediately fit your PAS you can at least use your system while you figure something out.

Matt.
I didn't realise that you had the square type BB. In that case to fit the sensor, just get a BB with a longle spindle - about 6mm should do it. Halfords do them for about a tenner. Take the old one along so that you can compare lengths. Alternatively, you can grind a bit off the back of the pedal to make room. I've ground 3mm offf the back of both of mine and there's still loads of length on the taper and they've both worked beautifully since. That's actually a better way to make the gap because it doesn't mess up your gear adjustment on the other side. You can use a large coarse file or an angle grinder. Try and keep the surface flat and square. Finally, you can also get a bit off the magnet wheel by filing down the middle boss, which won;t mind losing a mm or so. Don't forget to put the magnet wheel back to front if fitting the sensor on that side.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Oh, I rather like that bike! A Cannondale with a suspension fork is more to my taste than the regular rigid front fork models.

One of these days, I must try out a Cytronex bike as I like the discreet nature of the system, the light weight of most models and the silent motor operation. Range for me isn't really paramount with bikes that are easy to ride unpowered so I could live with that aspect. My only fear is that, were I to buy one, I might feel the need to purchase some Lycra.

Regards,
Indalo

Mark/Cytronex

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Winchester
www.no-hills.com
You're safe on the Lycra front the Bad Boy is definately anti establishment.

The picture I sent is actually the Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra 8 which has 8 speed Alfine hub, not the SLX version I meant to post (that I have been riding). Both will be available. Never considered using a bike with front suspension before until we got the Bad Boys but with a weight of under 17Kg all up and the lockout lever on the stem it really works well.

Regarding the post from KirstinS, the kit is designed to fit the vast majority of bikes, so it in unlikely to be a problem. We will have tools online to check nearer the time.

Regards,

Mark