Approved ebike list?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
You're 'avin' a larf. Put their hands in their pockets? Hhahahaha.
Never happen, mate.
I'm sure it comes as no surprise that my tongue was wedged firmly in my cheek when typing that ! Shame really, since a small voluntary industry levy off e-bike sales over the last few years could have added up to a significant fund with which to purchase legal defence insurance - and have some fangs if action were ever taken against BEBA members or clients who purchased their bikes.

Difficulty is, of course, the UK's fixation with THROTTLES which means that the European Type-Approved bikes which do conform (and make up the bulk of the EU market) only represent a small percentage of the bikes sold in Britain. Ah well .... excuses will continue to be made for the UK government and Civil Servants but I have no ambiguity in my own mind what they should have done, should be doing and should be held to account for, or the reasons why advancing legislation deeming EU Type-approved bikes to be treated in effect as bicycles within the meaning of the Road Traffic Acts has been held back.

Too many people with other agendas muddying the waters of what is a clear and straightforward thing to do (independent of any throttle issues) and insufficient will / resources input from public funds.

I am very happy with the bike I ride. The EU is very happy that it constitutes a bicycle and does not require insurance, licence or helmet in any Member State. The UK is bound to align its legislation not to conflict with that position. So GET ON WITH IT !

From what I can gather it's pretty much ideal for a light road bike. Adrian's web site is here: https://sites.google.com/site/commuterbooster/
Am I right in thinking this needs no battery ? No-brainer addition to an 8kg road bike for a bit of fun :eek:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Difficulty is, of course, the UK's fixation with THROTTLES which means that the European Type-Approved bikes which do conform (and make up the bulk of the EU market) only represent a small percentage of the bikes sold in Britain. Ah well .... excuses will continue to be made for the UK government and Civil Servants but I have no ambiguity in my own mind what they should have done, should be doing and should be held to account for, or the reasons why advancing legislation deeming EU Type-approved bikes to be treated in effect as bicycles within the meaning of the Road Traffic Acts has been held back.

Too many people with other agendas muddying the waters of what is a clear and straightforward thing to do (independent of any throttle issues) and insufficient will / resources input from public funds.

I am very happy with the bike I ride. The EU is very happy that it constitutes a bicycle and does not require insurance, licence or helmet in any Member State. The UK is bound to align its legislation not to conflict with that position. So GET ON WITH IT !
Perceptive!

Indalo

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Am I right in thinking this needs no battery ? No-brainer addition to an 8kg road bike for a bit of fun :eek:
No it needs a battery, just a small one tucked inside one of those under saddle bags. I think Adrian recommends using the large size Topeak Aero Wedge bag, which is still pretty small.

The motors recommended have bearing on both ends of the can, so are adequately supported when used like this.

The main downside, apart from a little extra tyre wear, is the need to have a gap in the mudguard, or not have one at all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually it didn't pass into UK law until 11.12.2006, under Statutory Instrument 2006/2935.
That's not the information I have. The deadline date of 9th November 2003 in the quote below was a Sunday and I understand this was read into law in parliament on Monday 10th. The point is academic though, it is in force.

"The EU Directive 2002/24/EC comes into effect on
May 9, 2003 and will replace the current Directive
92/61/EEC.

Until May 9, 2003 the current national regulations concerning the status of pedelecs will remain unchanged.
After May 9, 2003, the EU Member States have the choice of either keeping their current regulations for another 6 months or changing over to the EU-directive.

By November 9, 2003 all Members of the EU are required to integrate this Directive into their national legislation and abolish their previous regulations."

It only mentions this in a negative sense, saying that the regulations don't apply to electric cycles below this power (amongst other things).
Agreed, but the inference is the same. If a 250 watt compliant pedelec is presented to the Vehicle Inspectorate who work to this type approval law, they are entitled to say that it does not need type approval and can be challenged to say so. And from articles 15/1 and 20/3 respectively:

"Member States shall not prohibit the placing on the market, sale, entry into service or use of new vehicles complying with this Directive."

"From 9 May 2003 Member States shall not prohibit the first entry into service of vehicles complying with this Directive."

Again negative senses, but since the order exempts a compliant 250 watt pedelec from type approval, the insistence of the UK that one does is an arguable breach.

I have read and re-read these regulations and cannot find the clause that requires removal of conflicting legislation. I have seen such a clause in other regulations though. Anyway, the traditional UK regulations from 1983 don't conflict with the EU ones. They create an overlap that clearly requires some electric cycles that are authorised under the UK regs to be type-approved after 2006.
When 2002/24/EC was passed to member states on 9th May 2003, it was accompanied by this order to remove conflicting regulations at the same time as it's implementation, with the deadline of 9th November 2003 repeated as the time limit for this to be done. The UK clearly did not do this. I don't have an online reference to this accompanying instruction.

Last edited: