Are 9 speed shifters different from 10 speed shifters?

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
Hi,
I have had to change my 10 speed freewheel to a 9 speed freewheel.
My current shifter is a Shimano Deore 10 speed.
I am guessing that for correct indexing I shall need to get a different shifter.
With the bike on a stand, the chain doesn't seem to seat very well.
Is anyone out there able to advise me please. I don't want to spend ages fiddling with everything as it is set up now if it turns out I need to replace the shifter.
Appreciate the help I am getting from this forum. Hopefully this will be the last (for a while)
Thanks
Nick

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
As far as I'm aware, the pull ratio on the 10 speed and above shifters is different to 9 speed and below. 10 speed shifters won't work perfectly with a 9 speed cassette. However, JTek make a lot of adapters which allow a mix and match of components.
Have a look at their website and you should be able to find something suitable for your needs:

Reactions: NOTTNICK

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
why buy an adapter when you can get a the right shifter for around £15
I have really struggled to get a shifter.
I paid £40 for a pair (uneccesary) but it was all I could find.
They only shift the gears from 11 to 5 even though I am giving 9 clicks (the site said they were compatible).

I have searched on the net and can't find anything that says Deore and is less than £60. That seems a lot and I don't need the full pair. One shop in Scotland that does come up, isn't posting out at the moment.
My current shifters are SL M610.
As I have already wasted £40 I want to be sure when I order again.

Can anyone suggest a shifter that would work?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You don't need it to say Deore. The Altus mentioned are lower quality but compatible with Deore.

Are you sure you have a freewheel (screws onto the hub) and not a cassette (freehub), where the teeth slot on to the hub? Freewheels are less common in higher gear numbers. I believe from comments made recently on another thread that freewheels and cassettes have different spacings even for the same number of teeth, so require different shifters. That seems crazy, but ... I've just searched (for my own benefit) and can't find anything very clear about 9 speed freewheel spacing.

At least please confirm if you have a freewheel or a cassette and somebody with more knowledge than me will give you a suggestion based on that.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I'm not certain, but I think 7-8-9 speed MTB rear derailleurs / shifters are all interchangeable. From 10 speed upwards however, the cable pull ratio is different. I don't think a 9 speed shifter will index a 10 speed rear derailleur in the correct 'steps'.

I have never tried it myself, but I believe a JTek Shiftmate 6 would let you use a 9 speed shifter with a 10 speed rear derailleur and a 9 speed cassette.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If it any good to you, I have a 9 speed shifter that I was keeping as a spare, before I cut the indicator part off the shifter I was using I brought this one just in case ;) turned out I didn’t need it, my modifications were fine :cool:
its brand new but doesn’t have a cable, yours for £15 posted
00460907-4F29-45DA-ABCD-97B440A5DA91.jpeg2E39E3F4-F8DA-42DF-8015-EBF4F586D2A5.jpegDABCC233-C1EE-470B-97FA-39D6B98C3611.jpeg

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021