Are Cheap Bikes OK.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Here's something that might help you decide. Since I built this bike, it's done exactly 1000 hilly miles at an average speed of 13.5 mph with absolutely no maintenance. That means no cable adjustments, no chain lubrication, no other lubrication, no cleaning, no replacement parts - absolutely nothing.except that I changed the saddle for more comfort.and greased the motor just after I installed it because it was making strange noises.

It's a little dirty now because of all the salt on the roads, so I'll now give it a bit of a clean and lube the chain.

To recap, I bought it for £5 with knackered brakes and bottom bracket, so I got a pair of hydraulic brakes from Ebay for about £50 (?) and a cartridge BB from Halfords for a tenner, so £65 for the bike, £150 for the motor kit from Xiongda, £250 for the battery from BMSB, rim, spokes, mudguards, lights, rack, etc for about £60, so that comes to about £520.

The cheap suspension clatters over big bumps, but gives enough to save you from the tiresome jolts you get without it. The Xiongda motor is the best climbing 250w motor bar none. No Bosch or Panasonic can match it. When it goes into low gear, it's like a winch. I had some reservations about it when I first installed it, but now it's my favourite motor. It's become very quiet and smooth. In levels one to three, you can't hear it at all.

I think those people that say that you have to buy an expensive bike for reliability are nothing more than snobs. The main thing that lets down cheap bikes is the brakes, which can easily be upgraded This bike is just as much fun to ride as any other electric bike that I've ridden. Being honest, it's probably a bit small for me, which affects comfort for my old arthritic body a bit, but it hasn't stopped me from doing journeys up to 50 miles in a day.

Sadly, now I'm going to retire it and build a more comfortable one for some epic journeys next year, and I want to be able to maintain a higher average speed for that. Expect to see it on Ebay after Xmas.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Simple answer is of course cheap bikes are OK, as are expensive ones, and ones in between.

I bought the likes of the Rose partly in the hope spending a few quid would buy some reliability - so far, so good.

I lack the expertise to do a good, reliable job on a kit, and if I bought this bike I would struggle with even relatively minor fettling.

A cheap bike is more OK for someone who has a thorough knowledge of it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I take it that the Xionda motor is 2 speed?
Does any commercial firm provide ready made bikes with this motor?

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Will you use the same motor for the new build ?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Try the bbs02 for your new bike. I have it on my road bike and its nice and fast. High torque at low speed, and high speed when required!

Reactions: rippedupno1

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Good to see you back d8veh :)

I am on the same boat. My friend asked me if I can covert her cheap ladies mountain bike. The handle bar is so rusted I can't slot the throttle in and the bottom bracket is broken I can't remove the cups. Not sure what is the next step.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have the same Trax bike with a 1000 Watt Dillenger front wheel kit on and its done over 500 miles so far and its only had a gel seat cover and a pair of Clark Exo Skeletal brakes put on since new.
The bike was free (paid for by the government) as I am a full time carer and the brakes cost £39.99 and £7.99 for the seat cover.
The kit was £729 so total was not too bad.
Top speed I have had out of it is 49.9Mph

Its for sale now to fund my next build which hopefully will be the Xionda 2 speed on a decent MTB frame

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I have the same Trax bike with a 1000 Watt Dillenger front wheel kit on and its done over 500 miles so far and its only had a gel seat cover and a pair of Clark Exo Skeletal brakes put on since new.
The bike was free (paid for by the government) as I am a full time carer and the brakes cost £39.99 and £7.99 for the seat cover.
The kit was £729 so total was not too bad.
Top speed I have had out of it is 49.9Mph

Its for sale now to fund my next build which hopefully will be the Xionda 2 speed on a decent MTB frame

Oh, you prefer the xiondga 2 over the BBS02?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
No
I want 2 different bikes/motors for different uses.
The BBS for trails and the Xiongda for tarmac riding.
I will be using the same batteries for both rather than having a set standing for any length of time.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Why not bbs for tarmac? I use it on my road bike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cheap bikes are OK but that depends very much on what you want.
The challenge is to lessen the maintenance. At the moment, e-bikes need too much of looking after. You still need to check your brakes, lights, spokes, tyres, chain and gears after a few hundred miles, 10 times more oftern than cars. I'd like to see bikes built with so well designed components that they don't need maintenance in their life time.

stevew

Pedelecer
True but the main spoiler for "maintenance free" ebikes and pedal cycles is weight ! IC power doesn't have the same restrictions.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it costs.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Why not bbs for tarmac? I use it on my road bike
No reason,I just like something different for a change.
I use the BBS for all my long distance rides.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
No reason,I just like something different for a change.
I use the BBS for all my long distance rides.
Yes please tell me how it feels compared to the bbs02.

I would have thought that many times you'd feel limited by motor max speed. Bbs02 do not have this issue

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
The hub bike accelerates faster than the BBS but it tends to get less pedalling assistance as I run out of legpower well before it hits full speed.
With the BBS it seems to encourage you to pedal more.
We have lots of big hills round here and the BBS leaves the hub struggling then.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The hub bike accelerates faster than the BBS but it tends to get less pedalling assistance as I run out of legpower well before it hits full speed.
With the BBS it seems to encourage you to pedal more.
We have lots of big hills round here and the BBS leaves the hub struggling then.
On my current BBS02, I accelerate almost as fast as my BPM.

I start on biggest gear when I'm on a red light, then as soon as it turns green, I put max throttle power + human pedal. Now it really starts fast on my road bike. When I see the chain is close to max speed, then I change gear (but keep the throttle at max speed), and it changes nicely.

I can maintain nice acceleration and out accelerate many cars with that.

The Xiondga, on the other hand, once you reached max speed on biggest gear, you need to wait few seconds before it changes. And it's stuck pretty fast.

Have you tried the xiondga?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
No.Just need a hub that will run on 44 volts and get me up these hills.Dont need to go fast

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes but I would have thought that the BBS would go over hill better than hub.

And bbs also accelerate faster.

Anyway, keep me informed if this xiondga is ever better than the BBS.

I'm using it now on the road bike, it feels faster and with more torque than my Q100H, but at the same time uses less power than my BPM. Really like this setup.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I found the xiongda is not faster nor more torquey than the BPM, just lighter.

Reactions: Kinninvie