Are there any reliable tricks to get slime into an inner tube?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've posted a few times on this board to help with getting slimed tyres how I want them for my Scott full-suspension bike. Thanks to all previous respondents for their patient help. I have now got inner tubes to fit the 27.5"+ 2.8" semi-fat tyres. It turned out that Evans sell the right ones, but that they do not mention that the Presta cores are removable (possibly because the manufacturers would rather sell a pre-slimed tube than have DIYers doing it themselves).

So, I now have a slimeable bike. However, when I remove the valve core in my inner tube, and squirt ordinary Slime using the supplied tube, it won't go in. I have even had amusing Slime-related incidents where the tube blew off, and I was squeezing the bottle so hard, I managed to paint a kitchen wall.

Weirdly, I have done this before, and the slime went in easily, nearly gravity-fed, with the tube in the bike. This time around, for whatever reason, it won't squeeze in - either with the inner tube in the wheel, or with the tube loose. (The previous wheel was a 29" 2.2", and the inner tube was in the wheel, mostly deflated - maybe the size makes a difference).

What tricks can I use to squash slime into my tubes? I like to put in half an 8oz bottle in per wheel.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I've posted a few times on this board to help with getting slimed tyres how I want them for my Scott full-suspension bike. Thanks to all previous respondents for their patient help. I have now got inner tubes to fit the 27.5"+ 2.8" semi-fat tyres. It turned out that Evans sell the right ones, but that they do not mention that the Presta cores are removable (possibly because the manufacturers would rather sell a pre-slimed tube than have DIYers doing it themselves).

So, I now have a slimeable bike. However, when I remove the valve core in my inner tube, and squirt ordinary Slime using the supplied tube, it won't go in. I have even had amusing Slime-related incidents where the tube blew off, and I was squeezing the bottle so hard, I managed to paint a kitchen wall.

Weirdly, I have done this before, and the slime went in easily, nearly gravity-fed, with the tube in the bike. This time around, for whatever reason, it won't squeeze in - either with the inner tube in the wheel, or with the tube loose. (The previous wheel was a 29" 2.2", and the inner tube was in the wheel, mostly deflated - maybe the size makes a difference).

What tricks can I use to squash slime into my tubes? I like to put in half an 8oz bottle in per wheel.
How about sucking as much air out as you can before you even start?
Or even to release the tyre on one side, pull out the inner tube, but leaving the filler tube in place, and simply flatten the tube as far as you can? Then fill the gel .....
Both ideas are pure guesswork, and I've only done it on car tyres and the can I bought was pressurised, and I left the valves in place.....easy peasy! It did not even gum up the valves, as I immediately blew the tyres up to pressure, but if it had, I would have simply replaced them at a later date.
Andy
Andy

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
How about sucking as much air out as you can before you even start?
Or even to release the tyre on one side, pull out the inner tube, but leaving the filler tube in place, and simply flatten the tube as far as you can?
Yep, tried those things - not sure what is causing the blockage with this particular inner tube. Good ideas though, and thanks :)

Thanks @soundwave and @E-Wheels for the product ideas - will take a peek at both! I wonder if the bottle is just a poor applicator.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
If the innertube has a Presta valve then you have to be a little bit creative to stop the captive screw closing off the hole when you squirt the gue in.

Some remove the core, some remove the captive screw and let the core push into the tube. I normally don’t bother because I just use a bit of patience and don’t try to squirt it in too fast, couple of inches of pipe in a u shape, so that I can have the valve facing downwards at the top of the wheel.

If I were facing a recalcitrant valve I think I would wedge the valve open with a bit of copper wire , hook shape long enough to pull out afterwards but as per previous I’ve never needed to.

Once done, leave the valve at the top for a few minutes, blow some air in to clear the valve and let some air out to do the same. Pump up the tyre and get some air back and forth through the valve, set to final pressure and off I go.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

A funny but informative topic, which I shall never ever forget!
A non biker reading this would get totally the wrong idea!!
Many thanks
Andy

Reactions: halfer

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks @E-Wheels - I got the Stans Injector and it was much easier to use compared to the bottle applicator. One wheel slimed easily, with the inner tube at the highest point (pointing downwards), the other wheel got a bit blocked, but aiming the nozzle horizontally cleared the blockage.

I also found it useful to squeeze a bit of slime in, put the valve back in, put some air in the tube, take the valve out again, squeeze more in, etc. The slime appears to be so thick it can block up a Presta nozzle even with the valve core removed.

Glad you liked it @Andy-Mat. I see the funny side of all that mess now, but at the time I was ready to get a bit grumpy with it :p

Thanks for the tips @gw8izr - I would be surprised if slime would go in with the valve core in place. Maybe I have a particularly thick brand of slime!