Help! Assembling Cube Touring Hybrid Pro... problem

Essgeebee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2020
We took delivery today of my wife's Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 500. I was expecting a fully assembled bike but it arrived in two boxes needing assembly from scratch. No step by step instructions were included and the manuals are not designed to cover this initial assembly - they contain references to multiple parts for various models that are confusing.
We couldn't do a test ride at a store so ordered online. The company will remain unnamed at present (it's multiple store group in Essex) but frustratingly my calls to them go straight to answerphone ("Corona virus means we are very busy, yada yada") and I've had no return call. The bike is now partly assembled but the front wheel will not go on - the axle looks incredibly thin and does not seem to fit with the fork.
If anyone has assembled one of these and can offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

Essgeebee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2020
Thanks Darren. I have managed to fit the wheel at last but I have to say it does seem a flimsy axle for a heavy bike. I imagine if there was a problem many owners would have flagged it by now so German engineering might be even better than I expected.
What's the point of a pristine bike? Yours obviously gives you lot of pleasure.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Quick release skewers do look very flimsy but they seem to work for most conditions. Many off road / gravel bikes use thru-axles these days but quick release skewers are pretty standard on more road oriented bikes.