At long Last

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
First off all let me thank all the people who let me try their bikes. A special thanks to Neill at Edinburgh Cycle Company. He was very helpful and let me test two bikes thoroughly and they seem a very knowledgeable outfit, well recommended.

Bear with me almost there, yee haaa at long last I am at my final decision but its been an eye opener to say the least. When I came back on this forum the range of bikes has exploded. Or so I thought, they have in numbers but they really do all fall into a small range of categories.

1) Hub bikes
2) Crank Bikes
3) Electric Bikes
4) Cyclist Bikes

Now obviously there will be some overlap between each category but this is in general terms how I see it. I have managed to try out all types and I have to say that there are some outstanding models in each category. To deal with the main two category’s first, where I think there is a distinct preference.

Some bikes just look like electric bikes and make absolutely no pretense about it. But from my point of view as a keen cyclist they are far too many compromises for it to be a real option. Now do not get me wrong they have their market and they are fantastic for their target market. I am only mentioning the models I tried, there is no bias towards picking particular brands just what I have tested.

Wisper 905se: Just looking at this bike it is clearly an electric bike, very nice fit and finish to it, but most definitely not a converted cycle. You can tell that a lot of work has went into the electric side but for me the frame was all wrong and when I was cycling you could still tell it was a heavy bike underneath. The motor carried me with ease and would do for a long time but for me far too many compromises on the cycling components. But the throttle was not as much use as I had thought, without me helping the poor beast of burden was struggling on anything but complete flat, any incline then no way. Now this is not a reflection on the bike but more of an issue of me weighing 19 stone :eek: . Overall as an electric bike it was very good and I can see the appeal but not for me.

I tried the trek FX with the bionix system today, first impressions were good, it looked like a real cycle(which it is). The bike was light compared to the dedicated electric bikes, but was rear heavy as expected. Started the test ride off with no power and it rode like a normal bike with panniers, very nice. So got to a flat section and again no power this was no problem but soon started to feel the weight of the bike(again I’m un-fit at present) . So put it on power setting one, mmm not much difference, onto power 2, now that’s better was bowling along nicely at this setting. Came to my first steep hill so put it into level 4, jeez it just floated up the hill. But very strange when the assist cut out, all of a sudden I was working hard again, so back off, ahh easy street again. Just did not want to get off this bike and was heading down towards the water and another cyclist passed on the other side. Received an smile and passed pleasantries as fellow cyclist sometimes do, he had no idea whatsoever this was an electric motor. This bike is verging on silent, now for me this is a massive plus. Anyway covered just over 7 miles by the time I took it back. Now onto the down side, the battery was verging on dead, maybe had about another mile left. But to be fair when I took it out it was just over half full so recon a range of about 14 miles with heavy use of power 4. Not great but I really do not plan using power 4 much, its certainly not a long range bike. But on the flip side if it was to run out of juice it was still perfectly useable. Overall the perfect bike for me, or should I say the type of bike is perfect for me.

As for hub or crank, I really did not have a preference either way, so not much to say I’m afraid.

I just picked the two bikes above as they are good examples of each type. But in summary I find the pure electric bikes are just too compromised they really are nothing like real bikes, and they are very noisy. But they are fantastic for getting from A to B if you are not too bothered about training or getting bike fit again. Overall they have their place and one day my time will come when I need a pure electric bike but today is not that day.

The bikes which are bikes are fantastic for getting fit, yes you need to work harder but that’s the idea. The range is poorer but then again you should be getting fit so push.

In conclusion they both have their place but they really are different beasts both good at what they do. But for me the Trek is the bike, now 4 stone to go.

PS,

Alien Aurora, mm what a bike, but illegal and its just not worth the chance on a daily commute plus I do not think I would get fit, it’s a beast. Maybe as a second bike.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The Aurora as an every day commute maybe not.I make you right. Of all the bikes within our household(too many) I must say that everything taken into consideration the home coversion on a decent bike wants some beating( it must be a decent bike to start with though)
The Alien kit on that bike is last years version where I had to play around with the pedelec to get a bit of control but this years version has the three power levels which on the right bike would really allow the rider the choice to train and get fit as and when the conditions and feeling takes you.
The only thing I would prefer to change would be to get the battery at a lower position and I`ve considered two smaller batteries stored in the bottom of the panniers(one each side) although to be fair being at the rear does balance the front hub.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just be aware like any e bike these Trek's are not problem free...But it is the ability of the dealer to respond which is important. The risk, as I said earlier is that a LBS will have little or no experience of e bikes.

BionX kits are available in the UK now(as fitted to trek) although expensive, they offer a better spec then the ones fitted to the Trek e bikes IMO. I agree with Dave kits are the way to go

Trek FX + Problem

Trek - broke my first spoke(s))

Trek/Bionx Motor Shorted

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I do not know how Trek manage it, the kit alone from bionx is about £1600 the bike is a £900 bike. They are basically throwing the bike in for free, plus the kit can be taken off and changed. Plus to boot its a pretty decent bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I thought it was based on a 7.3 fx or the like a £450 bike?

the kits start at around £1000, only the HT (high torque)with larger in frame battery is £16-1700 I think?

First Look: BionX Retrofit Electric Bike Kit - BikeRadar

If it is the HT fitted to trek +, I stand corrected....

BionX HT is probably my favourite bike

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Its based on a Trek 7.6, but some of the components have been changed but no major differences.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
This is the bike,

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
On looking deeper it looks like an in between model of the 7.6-7.5, mainly the 7.5 with carbon forks and different running gear as expected, but overall looks like you could not buy the components in for what they are selling it for. Plus you would have all the build to do and from a bike point of view no warranty. But this will get me back to fitness then i will see where to go from there, but the bionx kits do stand out, thats for certain. I could not believe how silent it was, the only thing i did not like was the drop in assist at 15 mph, but guess thats to keep it legal.

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Looking at the zyro site it looks like its the PL250 £1280 and the Rear Rack option at £100 and the bike comes in at about £625. Just over 2K, so £1700 is pretty good, but thats the power of bulk buying for you, i reckon its pretty good value for the kit you get. But i do like treks always have it was a Trek soho, i had my accident on.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
That's a nice looking bike, a very nice looking bike :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Do you know what amps/size the battery is? the trek site is hopeless for info

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Its 6.8 A/h, but thats my whole point electric bikes are split in two now. You have the bike like the Trek which is solely designed as a fitness/training bike with electric assist to allow you to cycle further.

But the pure electric bike has no problem with massive batteries as they are not designed to cycle with no power or minimal power. The 6.8 A/hr battery on the trek is fine for about 30-40 miles if you work with it, but thats the whole point. Do not get me wrong when finances allow i will look at a more pure electric bike for lazy days :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not all e-bikes are noisy as you've said, you really should have tried a Panasonic type crank drive bike since they are very different from hub motor types and very quiet. Some bike gear systems are noisier.

That said, the Trek is a good choice for your needs so you haven't missed out in any way.