Attaching trailer help

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Is there any way you can thin down the bracket with a Dremmel, angle grinder or file. It'll be strong enough even down do about 2mm. How thick is it?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So I know this is not the correct way to put the nut on but it will not go on the other way around
Any ideas how I can fix this ,
The thread is too deep on the opposite (correct way)
The axle needs to be moved to the point where it is more central. But remember, usually more thread is needed on the RH side, especially if Derailleur type gears are being used....
(I am assuming that you still have the correct axle!).
Its not difficult to do, but difficult to explain as there are different systems and bearings on ebikes....!
It may even have been mounted the wrong way round by someone, depending upon the style.
If you do not know how, then its a job for the LBS in your area.....at the most, 1 - 2 hours work in my estimation!
It looks to be the RH side in the photo (I took it to be the lefthand side before!), and to my mind that is the wrong side for a trailer hitch IMO.
I am going to watch and see what you eventually do to fix it! Maybe I can learn something too!
Best of luck.
Andy
PS Or is the photo upside down????

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a hub motor axle they are fixed in length, you can't adjust them like a ball and cone QR type.
If you can find someone who can carry out fine welding then it might be poss to tack the hitch to the outside of the nut ?

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
It's a hub motor axle they are fixed in length, you can't adjust them like a ball and cone QR type.
If you can find someone who can carry out fine welding then it might be poss to tack the hitch to the outside of the nut ?
It looks as though the centre of the axle is hollow. If so, you might be able to tap it and hold the hitch on with a smaller bolt passing through the middle of the axle nut.

Only if the axle isn't hardened....

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks.
So I guess a longer axle is simply not available.....
Or maybe a long, tube like nut, where a suitable bolt and washers, may be screwed into the "unused" part of the tube's thread. Something like this, with a drilled out big nut welded in the middle, to allow a spanner to get a good hold?
Though I do not know the thread size and type, this was simply a shot in the dark to see if something like that could be easily fabricated. Stainless would be best of course.
Andy

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Adapt a rear foot peg, the sort used on bmx, a ready made threaded tube?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I have one of these if you want it, it's made of stainless steel. You attach it to the bike axle then attach your trailer hitch to it with a 10mm bolt. It's not been tested in anyway but mine is still going working.

Attachments

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Hi, I have one of these if you want it, it's made of stainless steel. You attach it to the bike axle then attach your trailer hitch to it with a 10mm bolt. It's not been tested in anyway but mine is still going working.
Sorry just seen ,yes that would be very kind , anything to give it a shot