Attitudes of non-ebikers

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Since I have discussed getting an ebike with friends and acquaintances, the overwhelming reaction is "that's cheating!" in a derisive manner.

I find myself having to explain why I want one, that I have a 'normal' bike (two in fact) I also use, and no I don't have any medical issues for getting one, and no I have not taken the 'easy' option.

I have broad enough shoulders to take it, and once on song I can usually convert the hardiest critic into goin to test drive one, but does anyone else feel like they are made to justify their decision and that they are a lower class (cheater) cyclist?

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just ride round drinking a can of special brew no one says anything to me pmsl :)

Reactions: Slartibartfast

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Zak Tempest

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi Slartibartfast, It's not cheating as you go further and faster;) with less effort. Like yourself I have more than one normal bike but they are seldom used since I got myself an e-bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If using an assistance motor to make cycling easier is cheating, then so is:

Using light alloy for frames rather than steel.

Using carbon fibre or titanium for the same reason.

Using gears to make hill climbing easier.

Using toe clips etc to increase pedalling efficiency.

Using skinny high pressure tyres to reduce rolling resistance.

Wearing lycra to reduce wind resistance.

Using drop handlebars to reduce wind resistance.

Cycling originally never had any of these cheating methods.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

and i can still over take them like there standing still there technology has been superseded pmsl

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
In my experience it's only the hard core head down *rse up brigade with last night's "Myprotein" dripping off the end of their noses who really get offensive. Most folks i meet refer to cheating but its generally tongue in cheek and said in a friendly way so being mostly banter I join in with a few quips of my own.
Recently I stopped a a cycle cafe where a bunch of byclists were leaving as i entered.. Now my bike is an RM Superchrger and if you have never seen one in the flesh believe me it does not try to hide or pretend to be anything but what it is with bells on, and they circled it like Indians around a wagontrain pointing at various bits but not actually daring to touch it, then without even a sideways glance they rode off and not one of them said anything to me. Ebike riders fall into a larger group sometimes referred to as proper people who would have had questions of one sort or another..

alexa

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 26, 2018
The only reason I have ever had anyone justify that ebikes are cheating is because cycling is meant to be hard work. For me, my ebike replaced my car in London, it isn't a training bike where I'm trying actively to get fit. It is my mode of transport, I'm not racing in the morning to work against all the road bikers who has the be first at the lights. Look at the Dutch, they don't justify riding a ebike like we have to here.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I live in Swansea and have not had any 'cheat' comments.
Probably, because Swansea is very hilly, most people live on the sides or tops of the hills and all the places that they are likely to want to go to (Town centre, Beaches etc.) are downhill.
This of course means that to go home is uphill, many of the hills being the 'get off and push' variety.
So, most people only ask if the bike goes up hills.

Reactions: therealvicz

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If using an assistance motor to make cycling easier is cheating, then so is:

Not forgetting

Wearing a coat to keep warm, glasses to see better and buying fast food because your to lazy to cook :p

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
The only reason I have ever had anyone justify that ebikes are cheating is because cycling is meant to be hard work. For me, my ebike replaced my car in London, it isn't a training bike where I'm trying actively to get fit. It is my mode of transport, I'm not racing in the morning to work against all the road bikers who has the be first at the lights. Look at the Dutch, they don't justify riding a ebike like we have to here.
This is exactly how I intend to use my ebike. It is meant to be an enjoyable form of transport, but not hard work! I have my racing bike for that!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Since I have discussed getting an ebike with friends and acquaintances, the overwhelming reaction is "that's cheating!" in a derisive manner.

I find myself having to explain why I want one, that I have a 'normal' bike (two in fact) I also use, and no I don't have any medical issues for getting one, and no I have not taken the 'easy' option.

I have broad enough shoulders to take it, and once on song I can usually convert the hardiest critic into goin to test drive one, but does anyone else feel like they are made to justify their decision and that they are a lower class (cheater) cyclist?
With the e-bike, you will go farther, enjoy your riding even more and you will use your car far less.
I also read that the health benefits are mainly equal as well to normal bike riding
I am 72 and my doctor told me that I have the lungs of a 35 year old after 10 years of e-biking!!
The only ones who are against them have never tried one, or never ever ride a bike anyway!!
E-bikes are simply great!!
Many people have conventional bikes that rarely see the light of day, if the truth be known!
Andy

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
Without my e-bike, I would have no bike!

I have a rather unpleasant disability that means I tend to fall apart if I apply too much pressure to a joint, riding my normo bikes involved dislocated hips, knees and even shoulders!
It is wonderful to be able to have a gentle trail ride again...let them think it’s cheating, why should I care?

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I am 72 and my doctor told me that I have the lungs of a 35 year old after 10 years of e-biking!!
That's impressive! When did you have the transplant?? :p

Many people have conventional bikes that rarely see the light of day, if the truth be known!
That's a really good term - much better than 'analogue' or any of the other descriptions that I have seen used

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's impressive! When did you have the transplant?? :p

That's a really good term - much better than 'analogue' or any of the other descriptions that I have seen used
Call it what it is a pedal bike my dad used to just call them push bikes a term from very early days when that was what they were.

And an electric bike simply as an e-bike, saying I have a'pedelec' or an 'epac' will flummox most peeps.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also as Flecc say's if out and someone judges you simply just reply 'I not cycling', 'I'm out riding my e- bike'. Then if they don't get it tell them to go and find out the difference.