AVE SH5 review after nearly 2 months

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
After asking around on the forums here and trying a few bikes I decided to take the plunge and buy a Bosch crank drive bicycle. After some searching I decided on the AVE SH5 2013 model, I have has the bike for nearly two months now doing a daily commute of 6-7 miles each way and thought it was time to let you know a bit about how I’ve got on with this bike.DSCF0013.JPG

It seemed to be a well balanced choice with front suspension, 29” wheels, hydraulic discs and a reasonable gear set. The inverted drive keeps things out of potholes and puddles and seems to keep the bike well balanced for the rough road commuter I chose it for. The appearance is unfussy in standard form but still draws a few interested glances as people try to work out what the lump in the middle is!

The front forks are quite firm but take a lot of the crashing thumping out of the rural Cumbrian roads. DSCF0016.JPGThe bike has a confidence inspiring feeling of being firmly planted on the road, good for me, returning to cycling after many(many many!) years absence. It can be pedalled without assistance such that you do not notice any drag or resistance from the mechanism.

The assistance is very good for the mix of rough tracks, country lanes and highways that make up the route I take to work but initially I found a feeling of hitting a patch of syrup as you reached the cut off. Experimenting with the assistance and with ECO level assistance made me realise that this was just me having to do a bit more work!
I have added a few commuter friendly extras including a pair of SKS mudguards with a reflective stripe that matches the ones on the Schwalbe tyres and are a good close fit to the wheel profile
A rack, panniers, some lights and a decent lock complete the picture.
DSCF0013.JPGDSCF0015.JPGDSCF0018.JPGDSCF0019.JPGDSCF0016.JPGDSCF0015.JPG

So far the bike has been completely trouble free and I am enjoying my trips immensely. The confidence to be able to cover reasonable distances is a real boon of an electric bike and the choice of 4 levels of assistance that the Bosch system offers allow between ECO ( MACHO MONDAY) to Turbo ( fatigued Friday). Minor mishaps to date include a loose cranks chain drive which has scoured the drive housing slightly and someone making off with my lock out lever for the front forks!
I am thinking about a suspension seatpost or another seat as my bum find the attractive and stylish original not that comfortable. DSCF0017.JPG
Other than that I would recommend the bike, the system and DW at Electrifying Cycles for his help in sourcing, preparing and delivering the bike following my initial inquiries.
So far So good. If you have any questions or Know where I can get a lockout lever for suntour forks get in touch.
:D

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Those mudguards are a good fit, and the front one has a bit of depth which many do not.

I reckon wrong radius mudguards spoil the look of a bike.

Pleased the bike's going well.

You seem well set, so that should continue.

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
Perhaps a bit too snug! they took ages to fit without rubbing. There is a wider version the I should have gone for I think but I mistook the size of the mudguard to be the size of the wheel they fitted!:rolleyes: still as you can see from the photos the bike stays clean and so do I so worth the faff.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Glad you getting on well with the bike. I really enjoyed my test ride of it. Nice update. Will see if I can get your another lockout lever, I would expect these to be kept be available as you can not be the firs person this has happened to. If I can get one on its own I will send you one free of charge, I will add it to my list for next week.
DW

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
See. Now that's the sort of spirit I repeatedly find here on this site and from electrifying in particular in my case.:D It completely opposite to the feeling you get when some nameless oink decides to help themselves to part of your bike. It fair restores your faith in human nature. ( If I'm not careful I'll be going on about how policemen would give you a clip round the ear and you could play out in streets etc forgetting about having to be sent up chimneys!)
Thanks very much Dave

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Actually now that I look a bit harder...they actually took my WHOLE BIKE!. any chance Dave?;)
And the lamppost it was chained to. Don't worry about wrapping it, just as it comes.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
No problem, we always try our best to help.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Well if it is only a Maserati why dont I get you two so the Mrs has one as well ;)