BAFANG BBS01 250w + LCD Display C965 - push button woes

Dr John C Bullas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 14, 2015
I have a 8fun/Bafang BBS01 250w mid-drive electric bike motor kit with an LCD C965 fitted to my Xtracycle Freeradical/Giant contraption (display picture here: http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1AGaJGFXXXXcRXFXXq6xXFXXX1/200631902/HTB1AGaJGFXXXXcRXFXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg ) No issues with power, directly connected via soldered links to the battery pack

see http://vacano.de/BAFANG/Manual C965.pdf for the manual see section 8

My question relates to the lcd display/push buttton control, the motor works when the crank is turned however the system is stopping cranking and defaulting automatically to the data cleanup screen as Section 8.1 above, it then goes to the PIN entry screen (item 9) I can change the first digit but the OK button is doing nothing!

Added a homespun video of what I see here:

I disconnected all the cables apart from the cable to the display/selector - no obvious effect - still no response from the power button ..... Any way to hard reset something via a UART and the multiconnector? Otherwise I guess I am down to setting it up down the cable but would be left with an unusable power button

Where do we go from here? I have contacted the supplier/ manufacturer ( BTN Holding Group Co. Ltd in China - on AliExpress here http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/8FUN/904105_257734884.html ) since earlier last year (2014) I successfully imported, built and am using daily a rear hub drive motor, battery, controller and display.

Awaiting a response but interested in any inland feedback in the interim.

In passing the kit was well packed and exceptionally well packed, the connectors and devices are IP65 unlike my earlier display unit that had to be taken down and retro-weatherproofed....

Anyway, it's hello from Southampton!

Should I sort this out via another route I'll update the thread, I will also feedback on the BTN customer care

Last edited:

Dr John C Bullas

Jan 14, 2015
Update,

8fun Bafang BBS01 LCD C965 - W2849A_APT 800S-KEY01

The push button unit connected to the Bafang c965 lcd unit was very easy to open up, 5 small screws to open then 2 tiny screws to expose the PCB inside. Evidence of moisture ingress along with a sheared off soldered joint *the latter will be repaired and the errant functionality of the power button tested using a suitably fashioned wire if the push button doesn't work since the dodgy push button was K1 and the broken wire was K3 (unless it was just waiting to fail)

The PCB and case was contaminated with what appeared to be a white powdery deposit.... I cleaned this off the board with a fibreglass pencil......

The lcd unit was in stark contrast to the push button unit, it was well and truly gummed up with silicone sealant - maybe the push button unit needs some of this to keep it working?

Will report back tomorrow on whether I got it fixed or not!

Laters!

Dr B

Last edited:

Dr John C Bullas

Jan 14, 2015
UPDATE: Fixed it

Resoldering the loose wire resulted in

#1 the power button now works
#2 the unit powers up when the power button is pressed, not simply on a turn of the ignition key
#3 I can now access the other functions of setup and scroll across to enter the PIN

The loose wire must have been shorting out on one or more of the others!

Just needed to re-assemble and seal up (with silicone sealant) the push button unit and the display (not hard, did it earlier this year on a unit imported into the UK that turned out not to be IP rated in any shape or form)

Now... to get redress from BTN...

https://plus.google.com/photos/+JohnBullas/albums/6123609990733137473

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice one Dr John, glad it was a simple fix in the end.

Dr John C Bullas

Jan 14, 2015
After 10 miles' nothing fell off (4 yr old or otherwise) and all the electrics are fine.... just need to replace the oil rig grade cable ties with some more fit for purpose....

Oh, and convince BTN that they might actually have something to gain from a providing a soupçon of customer care...........